When will the Tour de France return to the UK?

markhewitt1978
markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
edited July 2014 in Pro race
Still a day to go yet, but I think it's safe to say the Grand Départ has been a triumph.

It would seem likely then that the ASO would look to start the tour from the UK again? Obviously there is a rotation to these things, and it's starting from the Netherlands next year, so we can possibly expect it to start in France after that, but could we expect them back in perhaps, 5-6 years?

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    A city / region would need to bid for it.

2020 maybe? Depends on the financial hole this one leaves I would guess
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I hear Edinburgh has shown interest.
  • markhewitt1978
    dodgy wrote:

I believe they were in the running for this years event, but they lost out to the Yorkshire bid?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    dodgy wrote:

I believe they were in the running for this years event, but they lost out to the Yorkshire bid?

In the afterglow of the olympics, a London finish was deemed essential, essentially ruling Edinburgh out of bounds (Freedom!).

Yorkshire was mind-blowing. I doubt London will be seemed as essential for future bids. It's so vast that the Tour will disappear. You could be two streets away and not know it's happening. Medium-sized cities where the event totally dominates, like the Belfast Giro, showcase the grand scale of the event.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Like Iain says, it's all down to a city or region initiating a bid for it. I'm sure the UK is now firmly on ASO's list of places, like Holland and Belgium, with guaranteed massive crowds. But then ASO has been keen to return to Germany for some time I reckon, but with no bids forthcoming, it's not happening
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I maintain that South Wales should bid for the Giro. Lots of people with Italian heritage here.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    RichN95 wrote:
    I maintain that South Wales should bid for the Giro. Lots of people with Italian heritage here.

Was thinking that yesterday. You could have a cracking stage from Cardiff to Swansea taking in a bit of the Beacons and Constitution Hill. Would prefer the Tour though :wink:

I can't understand the people saying 'I had to watch as it won't happen again in my lifetime'. It's been in the UK 4 times in my life already.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Yorkshire has done the country proud, and to be honest London doesn't have the parcours of some parts of the country, and aside from Balham Hill which could be an HC, it's a bit flat.

-1eekgFcMM3ptQ7dKh4O-ZavABWyITsL7KbUj-UbdmfojiwXHbfDhXH3UGa9Ua_cFBchUg5VXrI3_eY=s320

Steep.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Was thinking that yesterday. You could have a cracking stage from Cardiff to Swansea taking in a bit of the Beacons and Constitution Hill. Would prefer the Tour though :wink:

I can't understand the people saying 'I had to watch as it won't happen again in my lifetime'. It's been in the UK 4 times in my life already.

I'd prefer the Tour too, if only for the (hopefully) better weather.
    I'm pretty sure that we could put on a more than decent 2 day show,
    given there is not much difference between organising and hosting a couple of successful
    UK champs and putting on Le Tour. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Think the real benefit will be ASOs new race in May 15.

A one day classic in Yorkshire late sept must be on ASOs mind
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    As fantastic as Yorkshire has been in it's welcome, and as fantastic as Belfast was for the Giro, I'm going to commit heresy and say I don't think Grand Tours should start so far away from their homelands. I know they're following the money, but it is too much a compromise of what GTs should be IMO. I don't mind a diversion into adjacent neighbours, but not starting in the UK, Denmark, Netherlands or wherever. A visit to the south of England isn't inappropriate but Departs/Partenze so far away isn't right for me.

I'd love to see the world's best riding round South Wales, but I think it should be as part of a world-class British race or maybe even the World Championships. In fact I think South Wales would be a fantastic location for the the Worlds.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    And there you have it, Edinburgh bidding for 2018 or 2019 grand depart.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • markhewitt1978
    edited July 2014
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/28174941 so it is. I hope they are successful!

I would say Edinburgh is a shoe in for a Grand Départ in the next 5 years or so, but you never know how these things will go. Especially with the referendum vote.

"When the organisers were last here, they were waxing lyrical about the city" - perhaps I'm reading a lot into one quote, but it seems the ASO are interested in Edinburgh as a city, but were won over by Yorkshire as a whole? Given that, we might likely see a Stage 1 time trial in Edinburgh city centre, complete with cobbles? Then a stage or two out in the surroundings?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    As fantastic as Yorkshire has been in it's welcome, and as fantastic as Belfast was for the Giro, I'm going to commit heresy and say I don't think Grand Tours should start so far away from their homelands. I know they're following the money, but it is too much a compromise of what GTs should be IMO. I don't mind a diversion into adjacent neighbours, but not starting in the UK, Denmark, Netherlands or wherever. A visit to the south of England isn't inappropriate but Departs/Partenze so far away isn't right for me.

I'd love to see the world's best riding round South Wales, but I think it should be as part of a world-class British race or maybe even the World Championships. In fact I think South Wales would be a fantastic location for the the Worlds.

Not a fan of the Qatar Grand Depart idea then?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • salsiccia1
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Not a fan of the Qatar Grand Depart idea then?

Not really :lol:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The tour will follow the crowds. In France basically everyone has seen the Tour going past somewhere - in Britain less so. They will come back off the strength of those crowds I'm sure.

I don't think London deserves the Tour really. I saw it there last time it started and their level of support wasnt as good as the towns of Yorkshire. Big things happen in London all the time. They get a bit blase about it all.

Give it to Edinburgh I say.

Same thing with the Giro - the race in Belfast was massively supported. Much better than the Tour in Dublin I reckon.
  • FJS
    iainf72 wrote:
    Really hope they don't repeat that ridiculous British Cycling idea of a grand depart through the whole of Britain. Really don't think ASO has any interest in that
  • markhewitt1978
    FJS wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Really hope they don't repeat that ridiculous British Cycling idea of a grand depart through the whole of Britain. Really don't think ASO has any interest in that

And it wouldn't produce any interesting races, we've seen how Yorkshire have constructed two stages which don't exactly go in a straight line and have been fantastic as a result. I could well imagine three stages from (say) Aberdeen to London straight down A-roads, which would be deadly dull.

I do like how they are mixing up the tour recently, rather than having the first week of nothing but flat stages.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    I think less attention to getting the TDF and more attention to making the Tour of Britain bigger and better.
  • FJS
    RideOnTime wrote:
    I think less attention to getting the TDF and more attention to making the Tour of Britain bigger and better.
    I think getting the TdF in is an excellent way of making the Tour of Britain bigger and better
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    FJS wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:
    I think getting the TdF in is an excellent way of making the Tour of Britain bigger and better

Maybe we could give 'The big depart' to France one year.
  • markhewitt1978
    Joelsim wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

Perhaps, or perhaps just moving the Tour of Britain around the country much more. It does seem to stick to the same old routes, with the new found enthusiasm for cycling in the UK, perhaps it could venture into some new territory.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    RichN95 wrote:

+1 - was making noises with a developer mate a couple of years ago to Welsh Gov folks but frankly in Wales it's like talking to a face painted on a brick wall.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Joelsim wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

Perhaps, or perhaps just moving the Tour of Britain around the country much more. It does seem to stick to the same old routes, with the new found enthusiasm for cycling in the UK, perhaps it could venture into some new territory.

That will only happen if they can afford a new funding model, at present they rely on Councils paying for the race to go to their patch. I still think it's improving year on year both as a route and in terms of the riders it attracts. This year's MTF on The Tumble could be the biggest crowd it has ever attracted, I think it definitely would be if it were a weekend stage.
  • markhewitt1978
    Pross wrote:
    That will only happen if they can afford a new funding model, at present they rely on Councils paying for the race to go to their patch..

Even then I suspect the interest generated from the Grand Départ would get the attention from local councils and tourist authorities who like the idea of hosting a cycle race.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Pross wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

That will only happen if they can afford a new funding model, at present they rely on Councils paying for the race to go to their patch. I still think it's improving year on year both as a route and in terms of the riders it attracts. This year's MTF on The Tumble could be the biggest crowd it has ever attracted, I think it definitely would be if it were a weekend stage.

Sorry read that as MILF on The Tumble also a crowd pleaser :shock: .
  • salsiccia1
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

Sorry read that as MILF on The Tumble also a crowd pleaser :shock: .

Dirty boy. Shows what's on your mind :wink:
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    FJS wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

The ToB will naturally become bigger and better if cycling remains in the public eye and British riders continue to do well.

I still think that the best way to attract the top riders though is to have a tough one day race in mid-September. That would be perfect for a lot of riders to use it as a warm up for the Worlds and Lombardy
  • Seeing the tour de France start with a time trail up the Hardknott could be good, know it will never happen (not least because of logistics with getting all the vehicles there) but could be quite entertaining. Might see some serious time gaps off a 10 minute stage :)
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Lancashire will be seething.Nothing Yorkshire does cannot be bettered.Flandrian rivalry.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.