2014 TdF - Social Media

1235»

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    FYI as per my original post, the Tourmalet will always have a special prize. The Izoard has a special prize simply because it is the highest point in the Tour. Just like the Cima Coppi has a special prize in the Giro for being the highest point.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Yeah so everything she said was correct. She was referring to yesterday which had the 5k prize. I guess she could have mentioned specifically that it was a special prize.

Her general point is more than valid.

I wasn't disagreeing, but the full story isn't really told in a single tweet.
    I'm sure all of us here would love to see more visibility, and money, in womens cycling, but comparing a 'special' prize in the biggest sporting event of the year to that of an 8 day race that hardly anyone has heard of yet alone watches is not really apples for apples.
    I think the Paris Nice has around 100k prize list for example, not the 2 mil of the Tour.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Women's cycling should spend more time creating demand for their product than moaning about money. Supply and demand ladies, not demand and supply. Women's tennis has managed to create a dynamic product, golf somewhat but even a sport like women's football can't be made 'big-time', it's just not popular enough.

In the same way women's sport is smaller than the men's versions, the amount of M&S given up to women's clothes is far greater than that given to men's. Why? Because that's where the market is. I know the example is borderline on sexism but it's not meant as such it's just the reality of things, no matter what sport's bodies, competitors, participants and fans will tell you.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    type:epyt wrote:
    Women's cycling should spend more time creating demand for their product than moaning about money.

But the problem is it's very hard to create demand for your product without money.

Women's cycling is between a rock and a hard place. There's no money, so no exposure so no money so no exposure etc. etc.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Women's cycling should spend more time creating demand for their product than moaning about money.

But the problem is it's very hard to create demand for your product without money.

Women's cycling is between a rock and a hard place. There's no money, so no exposure so no money so no exposure etc. etc.

All this is true, but drastically increasing the prize money will only have an indirect effect. It does seem woeful at the moment though.
  • above_the_cows
    inseine wrote:

All this is true, but drastically increasing the prize money will only have an indirect effect. It does seem woeful at the moment though.

It needs much more than increased prize money. More races would be better.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    Women's cycling should spend more time creating demand for their product than moaning about money. Supply and demand ladies, not demand and supply. Women's tennis has managed to create a dynamic product, golf somewhat but even a sport like women's football can't be made 'big-time', it's just not popular enough.

In the same way women's sport is smaller than the men's versions, the amount of M&S given up to women's clothes is far greater than that given to men's. Why? Because that's where the market is. I know the example is borderline on sexism but it's not meant as such it's just the reality of things, no matter what sport's bodies, competitors, participants and fans will tell you.

[OT]I speak from personal experience that there's no demand for M&S clothing from anyone, otherwise I might have gotten a bonus this year![/OT]
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538

[OT]I speak from personal experience that there's no demand for M&S clothing from anyone, otherwise I might have gotten a bonus this year![/OT]

I quite like their pants. The rest of it is a bit naff, though if you want a pair of cheap jeans they're ok. Send me some pants and I'll provide far better social media advertising for you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

I quite like their pants. The rest of it is a bit naff, though if you want a pair of cheap jeans they're ok. Send me some pants and I'll provide far better social media advertising for you.

Don't ask people on the internet to send you pants.
    You probably go on a list for that
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538

Only if you sign off with xx.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810

Only if you sign off with xx.

Tell me where to send 'em, I'll send you some pants

(can't guarantee they'll be 'fresh' though)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Anybody spotted Dieter Senft at the roadside as the peleton flash past?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • above_the_cows
    Little Flower and Matteo Trentin with a Cav cameo on OPQS rest day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0xd9Em7ixA
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    redvee wrote:
    Anybody spotted Dieter Senft at the roadside as the peloton flash past?
    I had to Google the name, Didi! Yeah he's getting more exposure now he's not sponsored by Wiggle
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... Ocu-mN3mCE

Cav in the team car...is exactly as you'd expect him to be... ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    He looks utterly terrified at times. I'd have been sick. Cav was right though, on a good day Little Flower does have a better sprint.