Your Views on...Electric Bikes (Dissertation Project)

2»

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'd consider owning one if I lived in Zone 1, where owning a car would be a massive no and wanted to get to work/pub/social events completely sweat free. Something like a GoCycle that isn't pretending to look like a normal bike.

It would in no way replace my fitness cycling / distance commuting.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    iPete wrote:
    I'd consider owning one if I lived in Zone 1, where owning a car would be a massive no and wanted to get to work/pub/social events completely sweat free. Something like a GoCycle that isn't pretending to look like a normal bike.

It would in no way replace my fitness cycling / distance commuting.

For that sort of use, walk? Less hassle locking bike etc.
  • iPete
    I despise using my legs for anything other than cycling. :lol:

To be honest a fixie pub beater would be my first choice then a Boris. Like you say, locking up an expensive e-Bike would be hassle and make for paranoid trips.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    iPete wrote:
    Something like a GoCycle that isn't pretending to look like a normal bike.

£2.5k
  • iPete
    gbsahne wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    Something like a GoCycle that isn't pretending to look like a normal bike.

£2.5k

It wouldn't be that hard to justify if it greatly improved my life style.
    In Zone 1 I'd have to sell the car and buy a travel card, that's £££.

All hypothetical, Id more than likely build myself a fixie beater and some deodorant or return to Brompton ownership.
    Who knows, maybe Brompton will get around to sorting out Project X.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    TGOTB wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:
    Well, compared to a moped or scooter, for an e-bike you don't need a licence or insurance. No emissions either and no need to pay for petrol.
    erm... You don't need insurance, but (as for a bike) it would be wise.

As for emissions, electric bikes in the UK are powered primarily by coal, which is one of the dirtiest fossil fuels going (and yes, you have to pay for it...)
    Pretty sure that insurance is mandatory for scooters/mopeds. Another thing, you need CBT.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I think peeps are forgetting that e-bikes are electrically assisted only. You have to pedal. If you don't pedal, it doesn't go (apart from freewheeling, as opposed to those mopeds which you pedal to get it started.

The motor does not power the bike, it only assists the rider.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I would imagine a primary application of electric assist would be to enable someone to commute to work by bike who can't / doesn't want to handle that massive hill that stands in the way.