TdF - Where you watching from?

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    mrbobuk wrote:
    Side of road somewhere nr Ripon and then somewhere in Sheffield the next day. How the hell I'm going to get from Ripon to Sheffield I have *no* idea. It could involve every back lane I'm told about.

We're watching from Harrogate Kieran on Saturday (the kids and me). Cannae wait!

Not sure how you're going to get into the town centre though. I'm lucky as I have friends who live 1/2 mile from the route. I'm leaving to go about 2pm this afternoon, so drinks in the back garden and wander down at some point tomorrow :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Will be at the start in Cambridge - my home town.

I thought you were Dutch?
    FCN = 4
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    msmancunia wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Saturday anywhere on the stretch of route from around Addingham as far maybe as Grassington, Sunday my plan for months has been to have another roll up Blackstone Edge to the top of Cragg Vale but it sounds like the whole world is aiming for that one corner. Blow it. It's my favourite hill, I'll be there.

I'd be there too if it wasn't for friends all off to Holme Moss so I'm going with them. I read in the Manchester Evening News that there are going to be shuttle buses going from Littleborough to the top of Blackstone Edge so it's likely to be mental - maybe go down Cragg Vale a bit? Caravan hits Cragg Vale at 1159 and then the race between 1342 and 1358.

The landlord at the White House is expecting to sell around 5,000 pints :shock:
    I thought I'd had my last ride up there a couple of years ago after the in-laws moved away so this seemed like a good excuse for another roll up there. I did hear that Rochdale Council had lots of signs around the town announcing that the tour was 'coming this way', even though The White House at over 5 miles away is the closest it gets. :)
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Bobbygloss wrote:
    Excuse my ignorance of watching pro cycling, but what on earth are people going to do all day if they arrive early and get the best spot? The riders aren't coming until 4pm.
    The one time I nearly saw part of a stage in France, I gave up and left in the hours after the caravan had been through.

Fair question: they generally relax, people watch, meet new people, enjoy themselves, the spectacle, being part of the biggest sporting event in the world.

Or failing that they just get hammered

drunk-10.jpg?w=628
    FCN = 4
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    MTB-Idle wrote:

Yup.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    rubertoe wrote:
    Lancew wrote:
    I was going to head to the mall.

Aiming to get there by 11. Do you think that's early enough?

No

What do you think then? 9am? I'm not overly fussed about being front row finish line, I just want to be somewhere that I can see. And being 6ft tall I should be able to see from a fair way back. Maybe I should bring a little step....
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • mrbobuk
    mrbobuk Posts: 20
    mrbobuk wrote:
    Side of road somewhere nr Ripon and then somewhere in Sheffield the next day. How the hell I'm going to get from Ripon to Sheffield I have *no* idea. It could involve every back lane I'm told about.

We're watching from Harrogate Kieran on Saturday (the kids and me). Cannae wait!

Not sure how you're going to get into the town centre though. I'm lucky as I have friends who live 1/2 mile from the route. I'm leaving to go about 2pm this afternoon, so drinks in the back garden and wander down at some point tomorrow :)

Setting off early, park up and walk the 20 mins to the fan park. Bob-on duck!
    "Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades" - Merckx
  • corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    My office backs onto Parkers Piece (Regents Terrace) and Gonville Place in Cambridge. We recently acquired one of the flats on the first floor, overlooking Gonville Place literally 30 yards in front of the start line. We're hosting a breakfast (before) and then a BBQ (after) for business contacts and consultants.

I can't quite believe my luck! We're going to have a first floor view of all the warm-up stuff, the start of the stage and then can mill around in our own courtyard car-park drinking free beer. Might be a slightly wobbly cycle home!
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    Riding out to Strines area early on Sunday and will pitch up wherever we can get a decent spot. Will then ride the route to the finish once it re-opens to bikes.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    CiB wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Saturday anywhere on the stretch of route from around Addingham as far maybe as Grassington, Sunday my plan for months has been to have another roll up Blackstone Edge to the top of Cragg Vale but it sounds like the whole world is aiming for that one corner. Blow it. It's my favourite hill, I'll be there.

I'd be there too if it wasn't for friends all off to Holme Moss so I'm going with them. I read in the Manchester Evening News that there are going to be shuttle buses going from Littleborough to the top of Blackstone Edge so it's likely to be mental - maybe go down Cragg Vale a bit? Caravan hits Cragg Vale at 1159 and then the race between 1342 and 1358.

The landlord at the White House is expecting to sell around 5,000 pints :shock:
    I thought I'd had my last ride up there a couple of years ago after the in-laws moved away so this seemed like a good excuse for another roll up there. I did hear that Rochdale Council had lots of signs around the town announcing that the tour was 'coming this way', even though The White House at over 5 miles away is the closest it gets. :)

Yes, there are loads! There's been a massive sign on Halifax Road as you come into Rochdale for months, and the MEN has a load of articles about the "Tour coming to Greater Manchester" which I'm sure the Yorkies are really happy about. Apparently it's only touches the Rochdale boundaries for a kilometre! :lol:

Thinking of nipping up there for a ride later Saturday PM when I get back from Leeds, as I won't see it on the day as I'll be up th'Moss. May as well ride on a pot-hole free Cragg Vale whilst I've got the chance!
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Lancew wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Lancew wrote:
    I was going to head to the mall.

Aiming to get there by 11. Do you think that's early enough?

No

What do you think then? 9am? I'm not overly fussed about being front row finish line, I just want to be somewhere that I can see. And being 6ft tall I should be able to see from a fair way back. Maybe I should bring a little step....

11 am Should be fine to be honest - although you might not get on the mall, its probably reserved for VIPs and the like.

if not the mall - then Birdcage walk or Parliament square. and failing that the big screen in trafalger square.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    MTB-Idle wrote:

Yup.

smallest dutch I know! FACT! :twisted:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • gabriel959
    I will be watching the race at Great Shelford most likely with my family. I will then go down to Saffron Walden on my bike for an interview with ITV (to be confirmed).
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Well. I myself will be riding stage 18 on the 19th July and as part of the trip will be watching stage 16 somewhere along the route (not sure where, the bike shop I'm going with is organising it).
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    elbowloh wrote:
    Well. I myself will be riding stage 18 on the 19th July and as part of the trip will be watching stage 16 somewhere along the route (not sure where, the bike shop I'm going with is organising it).

That is a pretty impressive, your going with a whole shop. :wink:

See you on monday.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    Just finalising plans for Monday

What rough time do people reckon the finish will be?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    rubertoe wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

That is a pretty impressive, your going with a whole shop. :wink:

See you on monday.
    Do you think it'll go in hand luggage?

Yep, see you Monday!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I will be watching the race at Great Shelford most likely with my family. I will then go down to Saffron Walden on my bike for an interview with ITV (to be confirmed).

So, yes, we will be live on ITV News on Monday at 6pm :oops: :o
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    MTB-Idle wrote:

That would explain a few things :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Kieran_Burns
    Watch for a camper van on the side of the Ripon bypass, that'll be us :)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    corriebee1 wrote:
    Just finalising plans for Monday

What rough time do people reckon the finish will be?

According to my bible, timings for Greater London as follows:
    (It gives three times depending on speed, weather etc)

Redbridge: 1456. 1503. 1510
    Walthamstow: 1504. 1511. 1519
    Leyton: 1509. 1517. 1525
    Olympic Park: 1511. 1518. 1526
    Limehouse Link: 1532. 1541. 1550
    London: 1542. 1551. 1601

Caravane due roughly 100 mins before these - don't forget to wave at the British Cycling car :D
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • classicleatherarmchair.jpg
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Ooh, the lotto belisol bikes are very pretty!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    Cycled to Grinton Moor today. Got there nice and early. Got a good spot. It was bloody freezing early on but the red wine kept me warm. Amazing atmosphere. We were at the point right where Voigt got caught. What a great day.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    50m from the finish line in Harrogate getting lathered!

Great fun, great atmosphere (though, bizarrely, the Yorkshire Tea lorry almost got the biggest applause of the day!) even if the result wasn't what the crowd had hoped for.

Also awesome cycling up through Leeds to Pool on the closed roads - one of the best bits of the day. Don't miss out if you get the chance. I got cheers and applause as I crested the summit of the Cote de Scott Hall Road! :lol:

P1010777ed2_zpsc34b9645.jpg
    P1010770_zps13944398.jpg

And do make sure you lock your nice 531 framed step through to something solid. Wouldn't want it to go missing would we?
    P1010563_zpsc0ebaa1d.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Kieran_Burns
    Sat at the top of Jenkin Road, the caravanne struggled and got split up! Huge crowd here, I'm about 200m from the summit on the grassy knoll.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Sat at the top of Jenkin Road, the caravanne struggled and got split up! Huge crowd here, I'm about 200m from the summit on the grassy knoll.

Sniper's rifle at the ready?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I'll be getting paid to be at the Olympic Park, watching the stage on the big screen, then walking about twenty metres to watch them come past.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Was an amazing day out. So many people. A credit to the organisers, the fans and Yorkshire.

Beautiful view from top of Jawbone down to Oughtibridge.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    how did you add that pic? :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.