TdF - Where you watching from?

Pufftmw
Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
More aimed at London people but wondering where might be the best place to watch from, bearing in mind crowds, access & so on. Would be great on the Mall but unless you could be there from stupid o'clock, imagine you'd be hard pressed to see the finish clearly.

Going to leave work early to catch this so ideas?

In France for holidays soon so will try & catch Stage 19 in Bergerac as well.

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I work over looking Birdcage walk.....

But I am heading out to Epping/North Weald with my club to watch it. We have several groups heading out to various parts of the course.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Pufftmw wrote:
    In France for holidays soon so will try & catch Stage 19 in Bergerac as well.

Annoyingly, we are on holiday near Bergerac but we are coming back before the stage there.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    My aunt ...

Harewood House, then wherever I happen to be when it's on Eurosport Player.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Side of road somewhere nr Ripon and then somewhere in Sheffield the next day. How the hell I'm going to get from Ripon to Sheffield I have *no* idea. It could involve every back lane I'm told about.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Driving up in the van with a couple of mates tomorrow to Sheffield. Staying in a campsite there and doing a sportive Saturday morning - will catch stage 1 on the big screen, then watch Stage 2 come past where we are camping.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Getting the early train up from my local station (I live on the Caldervale Mcr/Bradford/Leeds/Selby line) early Saturday morning to watch the stage start in Leeds on Saturday, then on Sunday cycling up to Holme Moss with some colleagues to watch, before all heading back to a colleague's house for a TdF party :-)
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I'm driving down to Morzine/Les Gets for a week's lift-assisted MTB action with my buddies tomorrow night so will strangely be watching the highlights of the UK stages of the TdF in France.

Back for a week and then drive to France again with my eldest son and our road bikes on 21st July to ride the mountains and catch the Pyrenees stages of the Tour. Mankini and Borat wig, paint and roller already packed 8) :wink:

(Here's me at top of Semnoz last year with some 'admirers'. It was 30 degrees plus and I have no idea how these guys managed to wear these costumes for literally hours and ooh, there's my website tag we are standing in front of too)

109.jpg
    FCN = 4
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Will be stuck in a trustee lunch so will miss it on Monday... grrrrrrr :evil:
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I am debating whether to watch from my window, or walk over to Tower Hill
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Half day and heading up to our embankment office to drop my stuff and find somewhere
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Jawbone hill at Grenoside/Oughtibridge.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    My lounge.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • mmuk
    mmuk Posts: 398
    managed to rent a place for the weekend near Leyburn - so 6 of us are off tonight to have a day fighting others up the 'cols' and then find a spot on Saturday to sit to watch 'em go past

MM
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    rubertoe wrote:

But I am heading out to Epping/North Weald with my club to watch it. We have several groups heading out to various parts of the course.
    rubertoe, me and a couple of friends are thinking of cycling over to Epping area too from North London. Would it be cheeky to tag along with ICC?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rubertoe
    elbowloh wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

rubertoe, me and a couple of friends are thinking of cycling over to Epping area too from North London. Would it be cheeky to tag along with ICC?

PM Me,

that will be fine, we are heading over early though to watch the caravan and taking a loop out via herts to avoid any unforseen road closures.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Heading over on the boat in the morning. Staying at my mums house in Leeds and watching day 1 from Harrogate with the kids. We're getting there at about 10am but I reckon there is roughly zero chance of getting within about a mile of the finish.

Day 2 I think we'll watch from Huddersfield because it's easy to get to from my mums by train :)

Day 3 we're travelling home, so I'll watch the highlights when we're back.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I will be watching from home... I will be looking out for the romantically named Cote de Blubberhouses at the start of stage 2.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    No spolier thread?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • supersonic
    Cote de Jenkin Hill another good spot - short but stupidly steep, 5km from end.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    supersonic wrote:

Unless you live there, or arrive at about 4am, I'd not even attempt trying to get anywhere near it though. All the very best spots are going to be absolute BEDLAM, guaranteed.
  • supersonic
    Jawbone will be be better, I can sneak in across some fields ;-)
  • mrbobuk
    mrbobuk Posts: 20
    Side of road somewhere nr Ripon and then somewhere in Sheffield the next day. How the hell I'm going to get from Ripon to Sheffield I have *no* idea. It could involve every back lane I'm told about.

We're watching from Harrogate Kieran on Saturday (the kids and me). Cannae wait!
    "Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades" - Merckx
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    Will be at the start in Cambridge - my home town.
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    Train (from Nottingham) to Leeds early for the start on Saturday, then train to Harrogate for the finish.

Back to Sheffield on the train on Sunday.....we're planning Jenkins Road, walking from Meadowhall. Should be an interesting contract with Dutch Corner last year.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Saturday anywhere on the stretch of route from around Addingham as far maybe as Grassington, Sunday my plan for months has been to have another roll up Blackstone Edge to the top of Cragg Vale but it sounds like the whole world is aiming for that one corner. Blow it. It's my favourite hill, I'll be there.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I was going to head to the mall.

Aiming to get there by 11. Do you think that's early enough?
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • bobbygloss
    bobbygloss Posts: 317
    supersonic wrote:

Unless you live there, or arrive at about 4am, I'd not even attempt trying to get anywhere near it though. All the very best spots are going to be absolute BEDLAM, guaranteed.
    Excuse my ignorance of watching pro cycling, but what on earth are people going to do all day if they arrive early and get the best spot? The riders aren't coming until 4pm.
    The one time I nearly saw part of a stage in France, I gave up and left in the hours after the caravan had been through.
  • rubertoe
    Lancew wrote:
    I was going to head to the mall.

Aiming to get there by 11. Do you think that's early enough?

No

• msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    CiB wrote:
    Saturday anywhere on the stretch of route from around Addingham as far maybe as Grassington, Sunday my plan for months has been to have another roll up Blackstone Edge to the top of Cragg Vale but it sounds like the whole world is aiming for that one corner. Blow it. It's my favourite hill, I'll be there.

I'd be there too if it wasn't for friends all off to Holme Moss so I'm going with them. I read in the Manchester Evening News that there are going to be shuttle buses going from Littleborough to the top of Blackstone Edge so it's likely to be mental - maybe go down Cragg Vale a bit? Caravan hits Cragg Vale at 1159 and then the race between 1342 and 1358.

The landlord at the White House is expecting to sell around 5,000 pints :shock:
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    We're going to start at Green Park and see what happens. We'll have our nine-month-old son with us, so bagging a spot early on and waiting for hours just isn't an option.