All Mountain vs Enduro

2»

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Since enduro became the cool thing everyone suddenly seem to think you need 160mm+ suspension to ride blue/red trails at trail centres.

Been saying it for years - UK trail and xc riding needs a decent hardtail - everything I have ridden in Whistler on my Bronson I would probably get down on my hardtail to be honest. I havent ridden the really hard stuff yet mind!

Agree to an extent, there's not a huge amount of tech at trail centres that require a susser but for a bit of comfort they can be better especially at the more well used centres. The braking bumps and holes at places like Cannock and Llandegla are ruddy awful on a hardtail!

I spoke to a chap from one of the mags a few years ago and he was convinced a 4x style bike was best for a trail centre and nowadays with dropper posts I kind of agree with him. You don't need the travel of a 160mm bike but the geometry that often goes with the increase in travel can be nice. I certainly prefer a shorter travel but still slack and low bike, just way more fun than feeling like you're riding a sofa. I actually thought the Bronson I demoed at the ClimachX trail was a bit too much bike for round there and Joe Smith used to session it for training on his DH bike which goes some way to describing how rocky and gnarly it is!
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    edited July 2014
    ... everything I have ridden in Whistler on my Bronson I would probably get down on my hardtail to be honest.

Yes, you probably would. But why would you? Sure, I could probably get round fine for most of the day without shoes. But I guarantee you I get around faster, more efficiently and more comfortably with shoes, so why would I go bare footed? O.K. shoes cost more than going barefoot and keeping them clean is harder than washing my feet, but the trade off is worth it.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Efficiency over terrain and 'comfort' may not be your aim.

Being 100% connected and direct may be your aim.
  • Angus Young

Being 100% connected and direct may be your aim.

It's hard to be 100% connected when your rear wheel is ricocheting off rocks.
  • Chunkers1980
    No it's not. You're connected to the bike. I wasn't meaning the trail.
  • Chunkers1980
    That's why HTs are better to ride IMO. If you know it's a rough patch, you unweight the back end and let it skip over, with FS you unweight and it just removes the sag - the wheel doesn't move until you bottom out the shock.
  • Angus Young
    That's why HTs are better to ride IMO. If you know it's a rough patch, you unweight the back end and let it skip over, with FS you unweight and it just removes the sag - the wheel doesn't move until you bottom out the shock.

Isn't it all a 'rough patch' when you're off road?
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    That's why HTs are better to ride IMO. .

ooooh, he just went there...wait for it :lol:
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    welshkev wrote:
    Since enduro became the cool thing everyone suddenly seem to think you need 160mm+ suspension to ride blue/red trails at trail centres.

Been saying it for years - UK trail and xc riding needs a decent hardtail - everything I have ridden in Whistler on my Bronson I would probably get down on my hardtail to be honest. I havent ridden the really hard stuff yet mind!

I agree with this actually - the only reason I sold my hardtail was I have a bad back and I find that a full susser is easier on the pain.

however saying that I do ride a 160mm travel nomad :oops: :lol:

I also agree however Santa Cruz Hecklers have a hinge on the back so I'm stuck with riding a 160mm machine over the hills.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    welshkev wrote:
    That's why HTs are better to ride IMO. .

ooooh, he just went there...wait for it :lol:

I think this may turn in to a hardtail vs full sus argument ending with personal insults and death threats.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    Full suss wins, you're all cnuts, and erm... Death threats and stuff.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    If I could only have one bike it would be a susser. Hardtails are fun and all but imo good sussers are both faster, let you get away with more and are comfier. There can we move on now? :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You can't say full sus is faster. On smoother trails and more traditional xc type riding a light hardtail will be better for covering miles faster.
    It also depends who is riding. I know downhill racers who can set fastest time of the day at races on their hardtail but are struggling to get top 10 on a full sus.
    I would still ride a hardtail if I hadn't ruined my back.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Blah blah blah blah.
    Etc.
    And
    Full suss wins, you're all cnuts, and erm... Death threats and stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools