All Mountain vs Enduro

IDave
IDave Posts: 223
edited July 2014 in MTB general
I hear these terms 'All Mountain' and 'Enduro' bandied around all the time on the forum and in the MTB media, but can someone please give a concise definition of what each means and what the difference is?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Same fucking thing basically, enduro just gets used by the media loads to sell stuff. No one is sure which is more hardcore but basically they are both 150-160mm travel bikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's all mountain and #enduro.
    #enduro is very fashionable at the moment. If you're not riding #enduro you're nothing.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    I think enduro is just racing all mountain
  • rockmonkeysc
    I think #hashtagenduro is just racing all mountain

Fixed for you.
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    So are they types of bike then? A style of riding? Or are they types of terrain?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    All three! But they cover a lot of ground. But usually means harder terrain with 140-170mm travel biked than can also be pedaled uphill fairly well.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    IDave wrote:
    So are they types of bike then? A style of riding? Or are they types of terrain?
    enduro is timed all mountain like DH is timed freeriding and XC is timed trail riding

Make a race out of it and create a whole new genre
  • rockmonkeysc
    .blitz wrote:
    IDave wrote:
    enduro is timed all mountain like DH is timed freeriding and XC is timed trail riding

Make a race out of it and create a whole new genre

DH and freeride are completely different things. Freeride is all about the airtime and tricks. Freeride covers things like dirt jumping, slopestyle and big mountain freeride.
    I agree with the trail/xc and all mountain/#enduro comparisons though.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Enduro used be called Super D before the industry needed something new to market to sell more bikes and parts.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    words vs different words
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Marketing terms. Mean nothing.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Enduro = goggles with xc helmet.
  • used to be called mountain biking when i were a lad
  • CitizenLee

Haha, this ^^ :)

Bro, do you even Enduro?
    used to be called mountain biking when i were a lad

Pre or post op? :P
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • CitizenLee wrote:

neither, just a regretable username lol
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee wrote:

neither, just a regretable username lol

Haha, it's not that bad :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Enduro used be called Super D before the industry needed something new to market to sell more bikes and parts.
    Super-D was the Americanism for enduro, before they realised it sounded stupid.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Trail riding? I don't race so I don't do Enduro and I think All Mountain is such a dumb term - you get all mountain skis which I understand, good for on groomers, but capable of skiing in powder and steeps, makes sense but all mountain bike? Capable of riding on trails and.....on other trails. Trail bike then?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • CitizenLee
    Trail riding? I don't race so I don't do Enduro and I think All Mountain is such a dumb term - you get all mountain skis which I understand, good for on groomers, but capable of skiing in powder and steeps, makes sense but all mountain bike? Capable of riding on trails and.....on other trails. Trail bike then?

I think the AM term is meant to allude to more DH ability than a standard trail bike.

Works just as well as the ski analogy if you think about it.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    First off road bikes were called 'All Terrain Bikes'.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    supersonic wrote:
    First off road bikes were called 'All Terrain Bikes'.
    In the Francophone world, they still are.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369

lmfao :lol:
  • Just ride what's in front of you on the bike that's under you!
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    So to summarise, it's riding bikes
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I'm not so sure: all the 'all mountain' bikes I've ever seen have been propped up outside trail centre cafes while their owners indulge in coffee and cake. Maybe the term actually relates to the extra travel needed to cater for enhanced sag after eating a food mountain? :lol::lol:
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    ^^

just the same as enduro bikes, so still just the same thing.

Marketing/advertising, if we didn't have them, my wife wouldn't have a job.
    FCN 12
  • rockmonkeysc
    Since enduro became the cool thing everyone suddenly seem to think you need 160mm+ suspension to ride blue/red trails at trail centres.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Since enduro became the cool thing everyone suddenly seem to think you need 160mm+ suspension to ride blue/red trails at trail centres.

Been saying it for years - UK trail and xc riding needs a decent hardtail - everything I have ridden in Whistler on my Bronson I would probably get down on my hardtail to be honest. I havent ridden the really hard stuff yet mind!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690

Been saying it for years - UK trail and xc riding needs a decent hardtail - everything I have ridden in Whistler on my Bronson I would probably get down on my hardtail to be honest. I havent ridden the really hard stuff yet mind!

I agree with this actually - the only reason I sold my hardtail was I have a bad back and I find that a full susser is easier on the pain.

however saying that I do ride a 160mm travel nomad :oops: :lol:
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369

true, but not every one wants to ride a hard tail. given the choice would you prefer a hand or blow job :lol: