Darryl Impey - positive

mr_poll
mr_poll Posts: 1,547
edited September 2014 in Pro race
INRNG just reported that Darryl Impey has announced on his website he has tested positive A and B for probenicid (looking at wiki it seems it can be used as a masking agent, it isnt a PED).

One reason why he isnt at the TdF

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    It's used as a masking agent of sorts:

"Probenecid is quick acting and performs a retentive role for a variety of substances. It has to be taken in large amounts (2-5 grams) to stop detection of banned substances such as steroids. The large dose would virtually block any excretion for a short time (a number of hours). For example, the following might happen:

A large dose might be taken as soon as an athlete is aware of unannounced testing, such as when testers arrive at a person's home or the athlete is forewarned.
    The athlete would have to urinate, but not as a sample, to remove existing traces of performance-enhancing substances.
    The athlete would then delay until the bladder filled enough to provide a urine sample, allowing the large amount of Probenecid to block excretion of the performance-enhancing substance.
    The urine sample would be clear of performance-enhancing substances but would be exceptionally high in Probenecid content.

This is only a theoretical example of its use because the athlete would still return a positive result for a high levels of a banned substance, Probenecid, rather than a performance-enhancing drug."

The positive test is from the National TT Champs not he 6th of Feb and tests taken on the 8th and 9th of Feb came back clean. But it has a very short half-life so quite possible and likely it would have cleared his system by then.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    UGH... shame...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Wow....didn't see that one coming.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    The statement from his website:
    Further to the announcement of the Tour de France team and in the interests of full disclosure, I confirm that on 23 June 2014, I was notified by William Newman, the President of Cycling South Africa, about an adverse analytical finding for Probenecid following an in-competition test at the national time trial championships on 6 February 2014.

I had no knowledge of Probenecid nor have I ever taken the substance knowingly in any manner. I am committed to drug-free sport and fully intend to take all steps necessary to clear myself of any suspicion.

The notification came as a complete shock to me just days before the start of the Tour de France, particularly since anti-doping tests conducted on me on 8 and 9 February 2014 yielded no adverse results.

I immediately flew back to South Africa and was present at the analysis of my B sample on 27 June 2014, the results of which confirmed the initial analysis.

I am extremely distressed by the finding, as I have always raced clean throughout my career. Every result that I have achieved to date has been as a result of hard work and dedication on my part.

More and more of these 'positives' for inconsequential things these days...part of me thinks the testing has gone to far and these supplements needed to be sorted out.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Probably a mistake somehow. In itself I don't think it has any impact on performance and as a masking agent it is only worthwhile taking if it is not banned itself. There's not a lot of point masking a banned product with another banned porduct (and possible a more detectable one).

Anyway, this will remind older ones amongst us of Pedro Delgado

The more mental ones will see this as more proof that Froome is doping (Impey being one of his best friends)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    RichN95 wrote:
    The more mental ones will see this as more proof that Froome is doping (Impey being one of his best friends)

Shhh!
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Paulie W wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Shhh!

Already alluded to in the Asylum!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545

BBC radio: "Impey positive...and is a close friend of Chris Froome."
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • argyllflyer
    Macaloon wrote:

BBC's Matt Slater tweeted their ex-team-mate status as well.
  • RichN95.
    Macaloon wrote:

Don't you mean "BBC's Matt Slater, a colleague of convicted sex offender Stuart Hall, tweeted their ex-team-mate status as well"
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Oh for goodness sake is this now going to be a game of six degrees of separation and guilt by association. In that case you might as well make assumptions about the whole blinking peloton.

Feel sorry for Impey if this is indeed an accident. But it is good that the testing is catching these things. I don't know enough about the science to say anything else.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • That's what Delgado was postive for?
  • argyllflyer
    RichN95 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Don't you mean "BBC's Matt Slater, a colleague of convicted sex offender Stuart Hall, tweeted their ex-team-mate status as well"

Nah I meant "BBC, home of Rolf's Cartoon Club and Jim'll Fix It"
  • RichN95.

Yeah, but Slater actually worked with Stuart Hall.
  • argyllflyer
    RichN95 wrote:

Yeah, but Slater actually worked with Stuart Hall.

While I miss Stuart Hall's OTT reports from Goodison etc, can't claim to know who his colleagues were beyond that.

Anyway, Impey's inadvertantly picked a good time to go 'pop' as South African TV (i.e. channel 517 on Sky) seems pretty focused on other sort-of-sporting transgressions.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Bad times

But I think the comms around it have been handled well. First we hear of it is with a positive a and b and a reasonable statement from the athlete.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:
    But I think the comms around it have been handled well. First we hear of it is with a positive a and b and a reasonable statement from the athlete.

Agreed. And the team one. Team Sky take note.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Anyone know of how this drug may have entered his system "accidentally"'? I know of it's therapeutic uses, but is it found in other things? Could it be in a supplement, etc? Or is this a case of 'he had to have taken it knowingly"?
  • frenchfighter
    That's what Delgado was postive for?

Stage 13 of the 1988 it was found but he was allowed to continue as it was not a banned substance at the time.

Some guy called Matti Helminen tested positive (0.1ng over the limit) before Tour of Lux 2012. Not sure what happened to him.

Garzelli tested for it in 2002 (st 2 Giro).
    "It's crazy that he would take something like this because it's certain to show up in a drugs test," said team press officer Alessandro Tegner.

Team manager Aldo Sassi added: "We don't want to say there's been a plot against us. We are just reporting the facts that we know.

"We've asked the UCI (International Cycling Union) to test all our riders to see if they're positive for the same product."

Garzelli was close to tears at the conference.

"My conscience is clear," he said. "I have been preparing for the Giro since last year. I would be an idiot to ruin the race, my career and my life for something like this."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,708
    iainf72 wrote:
    Bad times

Almost half a year to process, but better this way.
    Puts Kreuziger's drawn out debacle into perspective.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    mr_poll wrote:
    INRNG just reported that Darryl Impey has announced on his website he has tested positive A and B for probenicid (looking at wiki it seems it can be used as a masking agent, it isnt a PED).

One reason why he isnt at the TdF

Meh... :(
  • Macaloon
    BrY1guVIUAAZ9Ry.jpg:large

Quite a few surprising non-selections...
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    Bad times

It's easier to do when the lab isn't phoning L'Equipe as soon as the A test has come in.
  • RichN95.
    Macaloon wrote:
    BrY1guVIUAAZ9Ry.jpg:large

Quite a few surprising non-selections...
    Not really: patchy fitness, over the hill, over the hill, feud with leader, hates the Tour, ill, did the Giro
  • Macaloon
    RichN95 wrote:
    Not really: patchy fitness, over the hill, over the hill, feud with leader, hates the Tour, ill, did the Giro

FFS. You're not supposed to shoot them down before they've taken wings and been recycled a few times. Hasn't worked for CH4 metabolic pathway bypass doping yet, mind.
  • RichN95.
    Macaloon wrote:
    Hasn't worked for CH4 metabolic pathway bypass doping yet, mind.
    Is that a fancy way of saying farting?
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Long timescale can't help an athlete if he/she thinks it is accidental ingestion - much less chance of remembering what you were taking/eating around that time.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Shame.
  • Macaloon
    RichN95 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    Hasn't worked for CH4 metabolic pathway bypass doping yet, mind.
    Is that a fancy way of saying farting?

Mock-on, stats man, but enhancing exhaust gases is how balloons work.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    For those complaining about delays the SA drugs lab say that sample A needed 'extra confirmation analysis'. But this was delayed because a key staff member at the lab died.