How do i do that?

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
I think we're missing a thread where we can ask and impart our worldly knowledge on all subjects cycling and otherwise.

Such as this ....

I need to glue the sole back on some shoes, what make of glue would you recommend?

I've tried gorilla glue it didn't hold long enough
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    You could save yourself the faff and take them to Timpsons.

What kind of sole is it, to what kind of upper (i.e. rubber sole/leather upper).
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I just get my man to do such things.....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Gorilla glue? Is that glue made of gorillas? I thought horses had the monopoly on that gig.

Use one of those two-part mix 'em up epoxies.

Or buy some new shoes, Imelda.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    You probably would have better luck with this

Shoegoo2%282%29.jpg
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Danny+Shoeing2.jpg
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Cow gum. Or another sort of contact adhesive.
    Or the stuff with part number UBS110 on here: http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=672&SortOrder=6
    Although a 1 litre pot is probably a bit excessive.

ETA: In response to the title I would say in your case do whatever it is very carefully.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Awaits thread "Visit to A&E after glue incident"
  • itboffin
    i'll ignore most of those responses, but shoegoo that looks promising thanks
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Q2

The plastic end cap has come off my good squash bat's handle making my game worse than it was. The staples that did hold it won't go through the plastic and the holes are crumbling away on the handle itself making it impractical to re-use the existing holes. I tried glueing it with No More Nails but it lasted 2 games (won them though, 6-9, 7-9) then came adrift.

Any recommendations either for a good glue that can handle the twisting and rotational forces, or a better way of holding it in place? It's a round end with the centre hollowed out so no option for screws, nails etc.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    CiB wrote:
    Q2

The plastic end cap has come off my good squash bat's handle making my game worse than it was. The staples that did hold it won't go through the plastic and the holes are crumbling away on the handle itself making it impractical to re-use the existing holes. I tried glueing it with No More Nails but it lasted 2 games (won them though, 6-9, 7-9) then came adrift.

Any recommendations either for a good glue that can handle the twisting and rotational forces, or a better way of holding it in place? It's a round end with the centre hollowed out so no option for screws, nails etc.

Could you fit some sort of bung into the open end, then screw into that? A whittled down wine cork would do the job, and wouldn't add too much weight.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    rjsterry wrote:
    Could you fit some sort of bung into the open end, then screw into that? A whittled down wine cork would do the job, and wouldn't add too much weight.
    Genius. This why this place exists. Cheers - I'll give it a go.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    As a bonus, fill the handle with wine and when a little tipple is required mid-game, simply uncork and take a sip.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    CiB wrote:
    Q2

Would it be to easy just to tape it on with leccy tape then wind grip over as normal?
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    For Q1 and Q2

You want a thixotropic contact adhesive like Evo-Stik

Make sure both surfaces are roughened to key the glue in (same as doing a patch puncture repair)

Apply adhesive to both surfaces and allow to dry. Apply again and then, after around 5 mins, bring them together and apply pressure for a few minutes (care because they will "grab" instantly). Allow 24 hours to dry fully.

I've used this on loads of things including classic car soft top installations - it's great.

I don't think 2-part epoxy would work very well for this.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    For Q1 and Q2

Make sure both surfaces are roughened to key the glue in (same as doing a patch puncture repair)

Apply adhesive to both surfaces and allow to dry. Apply again and then, after around 5 mins, bring them together and apply pressure for a few minutes (care because they will "grab" instantly). Allow 24 hours to dry fully.

I've used this on loads of things including classic car soft top installations - it's great.

That's what I said, just that you sound like you know what you're talking about.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Question: Why aren't footbeds in spd (or other) clipless shoes waterproof? I mean there's a big hole in the bottom of your shoe??!?!

Or are other people using some kind of waterproof tape etc to block up the hole that didn't come with my shoe?? TELL ME!!!!!
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Nope, my shoes came with a piece of 'waterproof' sticky tape which is useless. Just get wet then dry them.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • itboffin
    shoes need ventilation have you not noticed how hot your feet get?

as for water in well it also comes out just as well, in fact my mtb commuter shoes are sitting by the door waiting on a full scrub after this weekends trudge through the mud
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    itboffin wrote:

yeah but I didnt think the heat would go out via the hole in the bottom so much (due to the footbed being in the way).

only thought of mentioning it as my feet got wet stupidly quickly from the bottom on leaving work last night, and while it's not so bad for the commute home, for the commute in its a pain as they'll still be wet when leaving work.

1st world problems...
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    itboffin wrote:

yeah but I didnt think the heat would go out via the hole in the bottom so much (due to the footbed being in the way).

only thought of mentioning it as my feet got wet stupidly quickly from the bottom on leaving work last night, and while it's not so bad for the commute home, for the commute in its a pain as they'll still be wet when leaving work.

1st world problems...

I've retired some shoes, since I got fed up with the getting wet feet/socks at work if I stepped nr a puddle I use flats so I don't take the cover off. New shoes are dry, even walking about in the rain the other day.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Just lift up the insole and smother the offending area in Gaffer tape or similar waterproof tape, it isn't that hard surely?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,694
    full_ducttape_shoe_sushi_026_1252359304.jpg

Mouldable duct-tape Bont.
  • itboffin
    reminds my of the winter overshoes post a while back :lol:
  • itboffin
    If you're planning on doing some remote out of the way cycling adventures this you need something like the SPOT connect http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116

and a first aid kit of course :wink:

The device is cheap enough but the subscription makes it a bit more pricey, i guess it depends on how often you're out in the sticks alone.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    For Q1 and Q2

That's what I said, just that you sound like you know what you're talking about.
    Sounded like a load of cobblers to me.
  • itboffin
    I can confirm the ShoeGoo works very well, you do need to be a bit more careful than i was or it'll look ugly.

My next question is less how more what?

What cordless drill should I be looking for?
    for years i've suffered cheapO brands that just dont live up to the job ....
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    itboffin wrote:
    What cordless drill should I be looking for?
    for years i've suffered cheapO brands that just dont live up to the job ....

Nothing worse than cheap tools - ALWAYS a mistake :wink:

DeWalt are very good. Shop around a good deals can be found
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    Mate of mine bought a lovely little Bosch drill/driver with a Li-ion battery. Small but seems powerful and it isn't flat every time you go to use it. I've got a pretty good pair of Riyobi rechargeables but they are Ni/Mh and don't seem to hold charge as well when not in use. De Walt are very good, but pricey so shop around as MRS said.
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Makita. Most tradesmen that I know use them.
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • itboffin
    two more how do i questions

moles, the little digging kind have just arrived at the fence edge, i know they can destroy a garden in days, any suggestions?

brambles have also spent 10+ years growing into a monster border between my fence and the field, chainsaw attack or something else?