neck pain

Simmo72
Simmo72 Posts: 262
Hi
Currently dialing myself into a new bike and I’m getting some post ride neck pain. Usually my pains are all in my lower back due to long term injury, I don’t normally get neck pain so this is new to me.
Ruling out handlebar drop distance as I’m certain this is fine, any tips on what else it could be.

Stem length seems an obvious start but is this a sign of running too long or too short? I don’t feel like I’m straining my neck or forcing myself to look ahead when riding but it I’m guessing even a slight strain could be the cause.

Is it worthwhile trying to angle up the brake hoods – most used position – currently the top of the hoods run in line with the bars but again I’m guessing angling up might take off some neck strain.

I realise nothing beats a good bike fit but time is really tight at the moment and as I only find out the results the next morning and only get out a couple of times a week at the moment, a few tips could save a lot of time.

Cheers

Comments

• Neck pain could be an indicator that your position is different form your previous setup. A shorter stem may help but unless you can work out what's different you could be throwing money at the wrong problem?
  • Simmo72
    Simmo72 Posts: 262
    yep, different frame angles and top tube length on the new frame, that's the cause alright, but its not just a case of running 1cm shorter stem to make up for the 1cm longer top tube as thats what i've done so far and i'm not quite there.
  • Seatpost setback the same? Try flipping the stem as a quick fix, it may not look nice but if it works you may be onto the solution.