Best bib shorts for £100

2»

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,594
    Just to update this thread and for other peoples reference.

The Wiggle S7 bibs arrived, and I think I can possibly see the part that would make people itch on the straps.
    Personally I disliked the super low cut of the garment, and much prefer the style and cut of the S5 that I ordered from CRC.

However...

The Etxeondo Orhi's arrived from Merlin and the apparent quality, feel of solidity to the pad (Which seems very similar to the Assos pads), and fit (for me) of the garment, has persuaded me to send the Assos ones back, AND order another 2 pairs. FYI The Assos in M are to large for me, the S fit me fine, but I gambled on M for the Orhi's and that was spot on.
    I am 5ft 10 but with a 34" inseam, and 70kg/39" chest.
    I also decided to order a couple of the female equivalents from Wiggle, but using the £40 off code gets it to within a whisker of the Merlin prices, and with more colour choices.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    keef66 wrote:
    If you get on with the Assos S2 chamois, the Assos Outlet shop do some 'budget' t-pro S2 bibshorts for £89. I love mine!

http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/s ... rt-s2.html

Just bought a pair of those as my first Assos garment - crushing disappointment :cry:

The leg grippers are super-baggy so I'm going to have to return them which is a shame as the fit is perfect otherwise. I was very surprised as I actually have quite chunky thighs and have never had this problem with other Bibs I have bought.
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • I have 2 pairs of Castelli Bib shorts. I wouldn't recommend them. Both were about 100 pounds in a sale. On the Aero Race Bib shorts the logos have started to peel off, just checked wiggle and it looks like others have had this problem too. I have only owned them about 6 weeks. On long rides I do get some rubbing from the seem panels. I have both medium and large sizes so I don't think you can blame a sizing problem, I am 179cm and 75Kg so I'm not huge. They looked great for 4 weeks but for 100 quid I expected more.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Daniel B wrote:
    The Etxeondo Orhi's arrived from Merlin and the apparent quality, feel of solidity to the pad (Which seems very similar to the Assos pads), and fit (for me) of the garment, has persuaded me to send the Assos ones back, AND order another 2 pairs.

I don't wanna say I told you so, but........ :)
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    So I am going to buy some of the Ohri's but would like to know which size will be best...

I am 6'5", 80kg, 37in chest so pretty skinny. I use XL in Assos.

I was going to get the Etxeondo in XL but was thinking may be an L.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    gabriel959 wrote:
    So I am going to buy some of the Ohri's but would like to know which size will be best...

I am 6'5", 80kg, 37in chest so pretty skinny. I use XL in Assos.

I was going to get the Etxeondo in XL but was thinking may be an L.

If you really want the Orhi's, I would order both and send one back - since the latest price drop all of white and red ones have sold out - the yellows may follow suit any day now. If you just order one size and change your mind the other may not be there by then...!
  • gabriel959
    I am buying from Wiggle price match so no such worries thankfully! :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I am buying from Wiggle price match so no such worries thankfully! :)
    Do they still honour the price match if the competitor has sold out in the meantime?
  • gabriel959
    No, but I have ordered an XL and if it doesn't fit I will ask for a replacement in the Large size.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    I got a pair of Etxeondo Orhi's delivered this morning, but when I tried them on, the stitching at the top of the front V at the navel was coming away and there was a 5mm hole, anyone else had this? Maybe something to keep an eye out for, hope they've got another pair to replace them with as they felt fantastic! :cry:
  • dancing
    dancing Posts: 16
    NO i would totally recommend this brand have bought both pairs from Merlin and have nothing but good things to say.

Send them back.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,594
    DKay wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    The Etxeondo Orhi's arrived from Merlin and the apparent quality, feel of solidity to the pad (Which seems very similar to the Assos pads), and fit (for me) of the garment, has persuaded me to send the Assos ones back, AND order another 2 pairs.

I don't wanna say I told you so, but........ :)

Very much so DKay!

Thanks for your post Broona - that made me go and check all 3 of my pairs, and pleased to say that all are fine, so you must have been unlucky - Merlin should cover the return postage costs too as it is faulty.
    I will carry out the same check for the Bira's I have ordered for my Bro, and also the female versions for my gf.

I took them out for their first ride today - only 31 miles, a couple of hours, and ordinarily I will be keeping them for longer rides, but as I have bought 3 pairs, wanted to make sure they were comfy and fitted well, and were comfy.

Really pleased with them, no chafing, straps were comfy, and the pad is definitely the best pad out of all the bibs I own, and for me really well positioned with regards to my posterior.

I would rate the pads on the bibs I have in ascending order:
    Etxeondo Orhi
    Craft
    Mavic Sprint & Santini Twistgel
    Sportful cheapies from Halfrauds
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    Impressed with Merlin now!

Emailed them Friday afternoon about the stitching, got a returns label within the hour, sent the bibs back on Saturday morning, and a new perfect pair have just dropped through the door, excellent! :)

Off out now to do a little ride and try them out, see if they'll hold up to 40 miles and 7200ft climbing on Saturday!!! :shock:
  • gabriel959
    Received the Orhis from Wiggle today, great bibs for £75, comparable in quality to the Assos S2 ones, in size and feel and 3 packets of haribo! :)

I am curious about the Chamois, it seems like it is a Cytech one but a one off design for Etxeondo.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x