Best bib shorts for £100

gabriel959
gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I am looking at buying some new bib shorts for up to £100. I want them to be my best bib shorts. Currently my best pair are some Assos T_Pro Bib Short_s2 and might just get a new pair but I can get the new S7 neon pro for only a £10 more but somewhat mixed reviews have left me a bit cold. I have also been looking at the Morvelo bib shorts, the new Pactimo Summit ones, which I can get quite cheap... any others?

many thanks!
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Endura FS260 Pro...super comfy and about £61 from CRC
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • gabriel959
    got some via club shorts and don't think they are that great, they are ok for shorter rides IME.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Merlin still have some etxeondo orhi bibs left, I bought 2 pairs and find them very comfortable. 40% off at the moment, I am a medium is assos got the orhi in a large.175 cm tall and 74kg and 32 inch waist.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you get on with the Assos S2 chamois, the Assos Outlet shop do some 'budget' t-pro S2 bibshorts for £89. I love mine!

http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/s ... rt-s2.html
  • gabriel959
    keef66 wrote:
    If you get on with the Assos S2 chamois, the Assos Outlet shop do some 'budget' t-pro S2 bibshorts for £89. I love mine!

http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/s ... rt-s2.html

£90 but yes, I have one pair of those, they are my best bibs, but for a £10 more I can get 2 generations newer ones. Decisions, decisions!!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I was just thinking yday how happy I am with my DHB aeron pro shorts. They even have a little assos-esque orange tag.
    Very comfy for 100's and are wearing well.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    you could go for the S7s but you don't know the insert, and whether it would be comfy or not. I love the S2 insert personally, so I would go for another pair of those, I have three pairs and love them.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    The likes of the Exteondo Ator, Dicolor and Press bibs are simply unbeatable for the prices that Merlin are knocking them out for. They are truly excellent bibs.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    The best bib shorts I have used are.... dhb Goldlines. They've been better than my Asos Mille and cost me £62.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Hi,

I am looking at buying some new bib shorts for up to £100. I want them to be my best bib shorts. Currently my best pair are some Assos T_Pro Bib Short_s2 and might just get a new pair but I can get the new S7 neon pro for only a £10 more but somewhat mixed reviews have left me a bit cold. I have also been looking at the Morvelo bib shorts, the new Pactimo Summit ones, which I can get quite cheap... any others?

many thanks!

I know what you mean, this Golden Gate malarkey and the Kuku Penthouse is a bit gimmicky.

I tried on the Equipe bibs in a shop and unless you are a racing snake, then I'd forget these. They are high compression and the way the front is cut means that if you have even an ounce of extra fat, your belly will hang over the top of the bibs in the most unflattering way. And I am 6 foot tall and 70kg!

Didn't try the NeoPros, but will do soon as I want to try all of the range to compare the differences. They are meant to be a cut a bit more relaxed.
  • Barts
    Barts Posts: 15
    So much choice to choose from but Santini Gara's are very good IMHO
  • gabriel959
    Thanks for all the suggestions - it is really appreciated.

I had not really thought about the DHBs to be honest got some Vaeon ones, and they are good but they are no Assos, Santini I used to have some long ago and I always chaffed on those so no, the Etxeondo Ohri look very good but they are the same price as the Assos T2 with the F2 insert which I get on and I like.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • Spatulala
    Spatulala Posts: 291
    If you've logged 350 miles on Strava this month you can get a pair of highly rated (http://road.cc/content/review/121605-pa ... bib-shorts) Pactimo Summit Raptor bibs for half price, ie £62.50 via Vamovo.com
  • gabriel959
    Yes, got the voucher, but not too keen on how the look on the photos! also it recommends I get an M when I am an XL in Assos, doesn't sound right!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • dancing
    dancing Posts: 16
    Dowtcha wrote:
    Merlin still have some etxeondo orhi bibs left, I bought 2 pairs and find them very comfortable. 40% off at the moment, I am a medium is assos got the orhi in a large.175 cm tall and 74kg and 32 inch waist.

i concur superb kit..
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Hi all,

found out I have managed to land a new job today, so decided to treat myself to my first pair of Assos bib shorts :D

I saw the ones listed on the outlet site, but would like to know how they compare (If anyone on here knows) with these from CRC: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/assos-t-fi-uno-s5-logo-bib-short/rp-prod31921

With the CLO £10 voucher, they weigh in at £107 delivered, and free returns of course.
    539 reviews on wiggle average 4.7/5.

I have ordered a small and medium to try - I'm 5ft 10, 69kg, but short torso as have 34" inseam.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Take a look at any of these. I've said it several times before on here and I'll say it again...the pad in these shorts is the comfiest I've ever worn and that includes Assos.

http://cervorosso.com/shop/performance-wear/bibshorts

There's an extra 15% off with code AP201312.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Sorry to hijack but whilst Etxeondo are being mentioned…

What's the sizing like? Some reviews say it's quite generous. I was initially thinking a large as that's what I get in Assos but a medium may be ok by the sound of it. FWIW, I'm 180cm tall, 80kgs and a 32" waist.

Any advice appreciated.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • housemunkey
    housemunkey Posts: 237
    Daniel B wrote:
    Hi all,

found out I have managed to land a new job today, so decided to treat myself to my first pair of Assos bib shorts :D

I saw the ones listed on the outlet site, but would like to know how they compare (If anyone on here knows) with these from CRC: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/assos-t-fi-uno-s5-logo-bib-short/rp-prod31921

With the CLO £10 voucher, they weigh in at £107 delivered, and free returns of course.

I have ordered a small and medium to try - I'm 5ft 10, 69kg, but short torso as have 34" inseam.

Dan

I've got both the S5's and S2's. They are quite different in terms of pad construction and I find the S2's a slightly snugger fit (5'10", 70kg, 31" inseam and I ride a medium). In the end though both seem to produce a comfy ride for me, I would find it hard to say either was more comfortable than the other. One thing is the S5 pad comes up around the front a bit more, some people compare it to a nappy and this was strange at first. The S2 seems to have a more 'conventional' pad design and probably just edges it for me.

Hope that gives you a little insight.
  • dancing
    dancing Posts: 16
    jordan_217 wrote:

What's the sizing like? Some reviews say it's quite generous. I was initially thinking a large as that's what I get in Assos but a medium may be ok by the sound of it. FWIW, I'm 180cm tall, 80kgs and a 32" waist.

Any advice appreciated.

Medium should fit fine..
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    dancing wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

Any advice appreciated.

Medium should fit fine..
    I got the dicolor in a medium and the fit was quite snug, the dicolor is meant to be a generous fit. In the orhi i went with a large as the fit is meant to be racy and the fit is spot on. I am 175cm and 74kg with a 32 inch waist.
    I think you will need a large.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    edited July 2014
    jordan_217 wrote:

Any advice appreciated.

I'm 164cm tall, 57kg with a 28'' waist. The size small Ator and Dicolor bibs fit me really well, with a comfortable compressive fit. The latter are a little longer in the leg.
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    jordan_217 wrote:

Any advice appreciated.

I recently bought some Dicolor's in a small. I'm 178cm, 67kgs and 30" waist. I find them just that little bit too snug, and have generally been disappointed with the comfort on rides longer than an hour or two.
  • daniel_b
    Daniel B wrote:
    Hi all,

Dan

I've got both the S5's and S2's. They are quite different in terms of pad construction and I find the S2's a slightly snugger fit (5'10", 70kg, 31" inseam and I ride a medium). In the end though both seem to produce a comfy ride for me, I would find it hard to say either was more comfortable than the other. One thing is the S5 pad comes up around the front a bit more, some people compare it to a nappy and this was strange at first. The S2 seems to have a more 'conventional' pad design and probably just edges it for me.

Cheers HM, that's a big help - the S5's are on their way to me, so I think I will compare with my existing pads (I currently have Sportful, Santini, Craft and Mavic bibs, and try and make a judgement call compared to those on the size and shape of the pad.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    schweiz wrote:
    Take a look at any of these. I've said it several times before on here and I'll say it again...the pad in these shorts is the comfiest I've ever worn and that includes Assos.

http://cervorosso.com/shop/performance-wear/bibshorts

There's an extra 15% off with code AP201312.

Whats the sizing like and which ones have you tried? And how long is the code good for? May have to order a pair and see what comes from them over my usual overpriced faux Italian brand (which I do love btw and shorts are top)
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • daniel_b
    Daniel B wrote:
    Hi all,

Dan

You weren't kidding re the nappy reference, the pad on the S5's is indeed very extensive!
    Can't see it causing a comfort problem, but equally can't overly see the reason for them.

Mediums were too large for me, mostly around the leg, ie they would not meet the leg, Small was fine though.
    Tricky call to make whether to stick with these with 'Assos' on them, or go for the cheaper, probably just as good pad without the name on them.....

Am tempted to order the Outlet ones to compare.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Wiggle has a good TDF voucher promotion going on at the moment, I picked up some assos gear yesterday with £40 off on top of the 19% discount on regular prices.

Maybe try a pair of the S7 bibs for a good price?
  • daniel_b
    robbo2011 wrote:
    Wiggle has a good TDF voucher promotion going on at the moment, I picked up some assos gear yesterday with £40 off on top of the 19% discount on regular prices.

Maybe try a pair of the S7 bibs for a good price?

Cheers Robbo, Small and Medium in the S7 ordered - have to be honest I rarely look at Wiggle these days, so thanks for the heads up :D

One thing I will be lookjng for when they arrive, I found more than one review of the equipe, stating something in the straps was itching or scratching peoples backs. Bizarre how this would only affect some people though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    The Etxeondo Orhi are now down to £75 at Merlin.
  • daniel_b
    Calpol wrote:
    The Etxeondo Orhi are now down to £75 at Merlin.

Are people saying the Orhi's are better than the budget Assos ones - be it S7 or outlet S2?

EDIT: I've ordered a pair of Orhi's in Medium to compare with the 2 different Assos offerings!

Would be interested to hear how people rate them compared to the Assos ones though, I guess I'm after some bibs that will keep me comfortable for up to 120 mile long rides, but more commonly something in the region of 70-80.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18