TDF - London Viewing

Comments

• kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    I'm gonna be on the bridge over Lea river near india dock, should get a pretty good view for more than just a few seconds, see them come up from silvertown.
  • cgrenn
    cgrenn Posts: 206
    Hopefully fingers crossed, I'm going to get myself sat right on the bend as they enter the mall. Wonder if you can Chalk the ground?
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    So do you guys think midday would be early enough to get a spot on the mall? I think I'll try and get a spot on this corner....but with the finish line just around the corner it's tempting to try and find room there...
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.50044 ... I2qiWA!2e0
  • cgrenn
    cgrenn Posts: 206
    Prhymeate wrote:
    So do you guys think midday would be early enough to get a spot on the mall? I think I'll try and get a spot on this corner....but with the finish line just around the corner it's tempting to try and find room there...

Probably best not stand there. The finish line is half way down the Mall so looks like you'll miss it!
  • prhymeate
    CGRenn wrote:
    Prhymeate wrote:

Probably best not stand there. The finish line is half way down the Mall so looks like you'll miss it!

I figured standing there would be good as you'd see them coming down birdcage walk and slowing down a bit to turn the corner onto spur road...especially if the roads are wet which looks quite possible.
    I just meant that I can't decide between that spot, and actually finding one closer to the finish line but mostly seeing a blur go past.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Me and the other half are going up for the day. We have had this debate. We might just watch it in one of the Fanparks.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Out of curiosity, until what time will it be possible to ride along the route in central London on a bike? Usually it's 'X' amount of time before the caravan, but I have no idea if it'll be more or less strict.
  • TheBiggles
    TheBiggles Posts: 33
    TMR wrote:
    Out of curiosity, until what time will it be possible to ride along the route in central London on a bike? Usually it's 'X' amount of time before the caravan, but I have no idea if it'll be more or less strict.

Roads are closed from 10am for traffic.

Thinking about heading out to the Tower of London as there should be a few corners there to slow things down. Also, there's plenty of cafes and pubs to watch before / after they pass. Probably going to be very busy, but can't think of anywhere better.
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    My office is 30 seconds' walk from the route but unless I can get up onto the roof I won't be able to see the race from here. :( I may try to get onto one of the bridges across the route, although a mate may be coming up specially and if that happens, I'll end up joining him wherever he finds a space.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    I'm about a 10 minute walk from Blackfriars Bridge - I might pop down there about 15 mins before they're due through and see what can be seen.
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    Was hoping to do start and then zoom back in, but now going with elderly parents so that's not feasible.

Going to go to Olympic Park and go up that red Orbital thing at lunchtime.

Agree this is a crap stage to watch, I'm going to Risoul for the MTF later on and that'll be much better. But it's on home soil so feel obliged to go!

I find the Tour less enjoyable than the Giro, which is big but not ridiculously so.

Currently nothing planned for Paris, if it stays that way it'll end my run from 08 onwards.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    TMR wrote:
    Also, is there a way to know (roughly) what time the peloton will pass a specific point?

Put the TV on....

The http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2014/us/stage-3.html

go to the tab for 'timetable' and they'll give you an approximate time for when they'll pass given a certain average speed.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Planning on finding someone on the route with a big screen so you can follow the stage, watch them fly past to get the atmosphere and then swithc back to the screen to watch what actually happens. That's what I did at RVV where were were at something like 800m and that worked well
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Snorebens
    Snorebens Posts: 759
    ddraver wrote:
    Planning on finding someone on the route with a big screen so you can follow the stage, watch them fly past to get the atmosphere and then swithc back to the screen to watch what actually happens. That's what I did at RVV where were were at something like 800m and that worked well

Yep, Epping for Sprint and then cycle via High Beech / Chingford to Whipps Cross for big screen for me
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Damn just realised the Canary Wharf fan park is only open on 24-27th...what a joke. For fan parks that only leaves Green Park and Trafalgar square...bang goes my carefully laid out plan.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I might just be able to get in to London to watch the stage. What the happens at fan parks?
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Have a 2 o'clock meeting in Saville Row, AOB has been deleted from agenda and will be legging it to Green Park straight after.
  • theotherjake
    theotherjake Posts: 237
    Joelsim wrote:
    As luck would have it, I work in Golden Square, so a wander down on a long lunch for me.

36?
  • prhymeate
    Will it be really frowned upon to take one of those fold up camping chairs to sit on while waiting for the race, considering I plan on being right near the mall which will be busy? I am British after all, so I'd much rather suffer in silence and stand for hours, than to mildly inconvenience someone.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Go find a Category climb London :D
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Are we thinking that the roads will be shut at 10 then? I was hoping to go and ride the last few km as that was a lot of fun in Yorkshire, but I CBA to then wait 6 hours for the race...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    ddraver wrote:
    Are we thinking that the roads will be shut at 10 then? I was hoping to go and ride the last few km as that was a lot of fun in Yorkshire, but I CBA to then wait 6 hours for the race...
    I think so, yes.
    Ride them, then head back further away from finish on other roads?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,863
    Snorebens wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Yep, Epping for Sprint and then cycle via High Beech / Chingford to Whipps Cross for big screen for me

is that big screen real?

hard to find info on it
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    http://www.tourdefrancefanpark.co.uk/gr ... -2014.html

Went to Harrogate and saw the tour from the fan park - if its a sunny day its a nice way to watch.

Failing that its the last half of the London Marathon route - so if you have a fave spec to watch that - then that might work again.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Joelsim wrote:
    As luck would have it, I work in Golden Square, so a wander down on a long lunch for me.

36?

Yes, you too?
  • joelsim
    Popped down there and saw just a little less than Fack All.

However, I did catch sight of Kristoff, Bideau, Morkov, Majka, G, Rui and a couple of others I couldn't make out. As well a GLM in the Eurosport tent.

And the ridiculously long cavalcade of team cars.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,582
    Joelsim wrote:
    Popped down there and saw just a little less than Fack All.

However, I did catch sight of Kristoff, Bideau, Morkov, Majka, G, Rui and a couple of others I couldn't make out. As well a GLM in the Eurosport tent.

And the ridiculously long cavalcade of team cars.

You did well to make that many out on the flat. I only identified about that many on a steep climb yesterday.
  • theotherjake
    theotherjake Posts: 237
    Joelsim wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

36?

Yes, you too?

Yep, M&C. We have a few cyclists... you've probably seen me in my CC London club kit.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Jake I think I may have bumped into you at CC London regents laps. Used to ride a blue Coppi and mates with tom on the ribble (now cannondale!). For some reason I'm not keen to train in summer!
  • joelsim
    edited July 2014
    Joelsim wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

36?

Yes, you too?

Yep, M&C. We have a few cyclists... you've probably seen me in my CC London club kit.

It's a shame you're not called Annabelle or Jessica, but I guess I'll look out for you anyway Jake.