Training for an 850km week long event

Donie75
Donie75 Posts: 92
Hi,
I've just signed up for an 850km Charity cycle. It is run over 7 days and averages around 120km per day. The event will take place ten weeks from now so I need to get my training plan in shape. I'm a regular rider but lately I've found it hard to get out more than once each week. I usually do 40 to 60km spins but I have no problem pushing that to 80 to 100km. I'm a big lad so this will be a good opportunity to shed the pounds too.
My plan is to get two or three 40 to 50km soin in each week along with a 50 to 80km spin at the weekend. I will extend this as i go on and bring the weekend spin up to a 100 to 120km spin. I usually do an average of 24kmh to 28kmh so I'm not going to push beyond that at the moment. Where I live is fairly flat so I'm going to try to get some climbing in every week also. Even a few hill rep sessions.
Does this look okay or am I missing anything critical here.

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    How long have you got until the event?
  • Donie75
    10 weeks
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Your training sounds good - but work towards getting that weekend up to 100km or so sooner rather than later. You say you're happy doing 80-100km, so it shouldn't stretch you too much. But you need to be very happy at that sort of a distance as you are going to be doing 7 of those! Maybe 3-4 weeks away from the event, do a back to back weekend of 80-100km for each day - get used to getting on the bike for multiple days.

As with most of these things, where it can all go wrong easily is comfort. You need to be comfy on the bike and not be stressing any part of your body - otherwise the little niggle in your ankle (or wherever) on day 3 may become a show-stopper by day 5.

So, think about anything that does hurt when you ride - and address it. Ask on here for guidance and it's often only minor changes to saddle/handlebar position that will make a big difference.

Overall - just ride as often/far as you can.

Where are you riding to/from?
  • Donie75
    Thanks for the advice Marcusjb,
    I'm riding from Mizen Head to Malin Head in Ireland. It's a slightly extended course to take in some better scenery. It's the Cross Rugby Legends Cycle. It's in aid of a cancer research charity and it's run by some ex-Irish Rugby Internationals. They get some retired guys from other countries too. David, Richard & Paul Wallace are heavily involved.
    The cycle is over 7 days with the first and last day slightly shorter. The event runs south to north so we should get some benefit from our prevailing south-westerly wind.
    My bike is a carbon Dolan Hercules with handbuilt Mavic Open Pro's on Ultegra hubs. I'm always very comfortable on the bike and I changed to a new Fizik Aliante saddle this year.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    On the plus side, the roads in Ireland are generally very good. When I did Malin to Mizen I kept seeing signs saying the road was funded by Europe - I could never figure out why the roads in Scotland are soooo much worse.

A few things from these multiday rides:

1. Ideally ride with an HRM and ride at no more than 70% of your max. You should find doing that means you've always got something in the tank. Do your long ride training at this pace too - you will develop your fat burning adaptation and will rely less on glycogen which is too limited.
    2. You find your first stint of day 2 and onwards the hardest. Plan to have a quick break after say 15-20k - your legs will suddenly remember why they are there and all will be good.
    3. Make sure you can get a good breakfast each day. Take stuff with you if you aren't sure.
    4. If you're doing your training rides on working days (ie commuting etc), you'll be amazed how much easier a day of just riding is without the work element.

Enjoy it - it's a fabulous ride
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH