Glastonbury

2»

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,577
    while channel surfing i noticed that it looked like barbara windsor was on stage

not sure what her act was, if it was a reprise of the exercise scene from carry on camping i'll track down a recording
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Oooh, matron...
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I've heard that were more people at the Pyramid stage watching Dolly Parton than there were watching Metallica.....just saying!!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,796
    Massive attacked asked not to be filmed.

Gutted.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Cant believe more people watched Jake Bugg (Friggin Fisher Price Dylan) than Metallica.

How can an 18 year old kid from Clifton Notts sing about the agonies of life? Still Clifton is ropey if your not on the Green!!!!!!!!!!! and now they're putting in the second phase of the Tram, the traffic on 453 is murder.
  • stoveman
    stoveman Posts: 125
    Never been into the whole festival thing but always enjoyed watching the coverage.

Best performance I have seen from Glastonbury was the Stereophonics a few years ago,absolutely stunning.
    Last night saw Metallica for the first time and really enjoyed the show.Never really heard them before but will look out for more tracks of theirs.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    stoveman wrote:
    Stereophonics (...) absolutely stunning.

Er, are you sure it was the Stereophonics you saw?
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,394
    As always, there were some worthy artists at Glastonbury this year. Regardless of who is playing, Glastonbury has somehow lost its edge for me.

What used to be an long weekend of improvised hedonism has become a carefully orchestrated "event" in the same way that Ascot or Glyndebourne is. It is part of the "circuit" whereas it used to be so far outside of the circuit to have not registered with the people who now clamour over a bank of PCs when the tickets go on sale.

Its over promotion means that a once great, original and "alternative" institution is as mainstream and commercial as an IMAX cinema or KFC.

The Sunday Times tells one how to dress for "Glasto", there's wall to wall coverage on all forms of the BBC and you can pay thousands to stay in an on-site hotel or rent a camper van - it is difficult to imagine a more culturally vacuous phenomenon.

If, by some quirk of fate, I had been given a ticket for this years festival, the announcement of Metallica headlining would have been very welcome news. As it is, I am afraid that most of those moaning about their appointment would doubtless have Coldplay or Paul McCartney every year.

I didn't watch any of the coverage this year although I listened to about 20 minutes on 6 music.

I think the fact that I saw The One Show broadcasting live from Glastonbury last year hammered the final nail into the coffin for me.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,573
    I went to Glastonbury every year it was on from the age of 18 to 33 and loved it even through the mud. This year I have a 10 month old baby so it wasn't an option, I would like to thank the One Show and BBC3's team of halfwit presenters and vacuous babbling for making it look like somewhere I wouldn't ever want to be.
    I know full well that if I had been there I would have had a great time, albeit with the occasional old man grumble about how it's not as good as it used to be.

No doubt it got more commercial over the years I went (the superfence changed it completely whenever that went up) and now it seems from the coverage to be going much too far towards the commercial but people have no doubt been making that complaint since they stopped getting free milk from the farm.
    I went to Leeds festival one year when Glastonbury was having a fallow year and it really suffered by comparison - it's just a big gig with 3 bands playing at the same time - Glastonbury is a temporary city with a load of gigs and plenty of weird back alleys.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Watch a recording of Metallica set last night. I though they nailed it. The best metal bands are just soooo committed on stage and Metallica came across as just that.
    Joelsim wrote:
    Been twice but not since 1994. It's too big, too crowded and full of thieves. And mud.

Happily go to smaller festivals, not into watching headline acts, just like a chilled atmos, good friends, and some enhancement.
    I think the thieving problem has been hugely reduced by the fact it is now extremely difficult to sneak in for free.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • monkimark
    Definitely, there was a big change the year the superfence went up. Far fewer tents being turned over and the guys selling cans by the side of the roads pretty much disappeared along with a lot of the dealers from what I remember.

It was actually pretty empty in the campsites that year - there were obviously a lot of people coming in over the fence before.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    watched Mogwai and Goldfrapp on the iplayer,got to say brilliant
  • Saw the first track of the Metallica set, and was made to turn over by the tribe.
    I would take issue with Jo Wylie (think it was her) that introduced them as the 'biggest live act in the world'. Errr NO!
    That would be AC/DC. Now they would really blow everyone away at Glastonbury.

I refer you all to Rosie... she ain't exactly pretty.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMvE0yFnR0I
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Saw the first track of the Metallica set, and was made to turn over by the tribe.
    I would take issue with Jo Wylie (think it was her) that introduced them as the 'biggest live act in the world'. Errr NO!

Yes, that comment made me wince a bit.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Saw the first track of the Metallica set, and was made to turn over by the tribe.

Biggest? Moving target surely. Metallica smashed it though - won the doubters over completely I think. AC/DC would of course also bring the house down. Both bands are genuine all time greats.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    I took the wife and kids to Reading festival last year and we all really enjoyed it. First time I had been 1993.
    For some reason Glastonbury just does not appeal to me, I suppose I still have an image of a load of hippies sitting in mud stoned and a load of pretentious @**^s walking around pretending to be hippies.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Its more like pissed middle classes pretending to be dance enthusiasts.

Must say, it's highly enjoyable (I went last year).

Smashing Pumpkins were awesome, as was Steve Aoki.
  • monkimark
    It's so big that it can't really be summed up as anything I don't think, walk 15 minutes in any direction and it'll go from didjeridoo massage lessons to burlesque club, to motorbike wall of death, Japanese electronic noodling, old ravers, Saharan jazz, commercial pop, comedy, rock, indie etc. etc.
    There are over 100 stages of various sizes across the site. I've been 15 times (I think) and I've not even nearly seen it all.

Mind you, it is over £200 for a ticket now!
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Been twice but not since 1994. It's too big, too crowded and full of thieves. And mud.

Happily go to smaller festivals, not into watching headline acts, just like a chilled atmos, good friends, and some enhancement.

Been 9 times and camped with about 70 different people over the years. No-one ever got anything nicked. It happens but nowhere near as much as other festivals. Much more likely to be robbed in a major city over the equivalent period of time/alcohol consumption I'd say.
  • It's not what it appears on the bbc. It is so much more. Not an ounce of pretentiousness in the broadcasts is actually on the site. This year was my favourite year. Metallica were very good, as was Dolly Parton, the smyths, jake bugg, jack white. List goes on. Blondie where a bit flat though I thought.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Daz555 wrote:
    Watch a recording of Metallica set last night. I though they nailed it. The best metal bands are just soooo committed on stage and Metallica came across as just that.
    Joelsim wrote:

If you didn't want to be in a band after watching them it would be sad. Watching Lars Ulrich I'm always staggered at his enthusiasm after 30 years - but since it's his band and they have made him v.v.rich he should be. But they still commit to large tours withseemongly 100% input
    M.Rushton