Glastonbury

napoleond
napoleond Posts: 5,992
edited July 2014 in The cake stop
I love my music but never actually wanted to go. I always enjoy watching the coverage.
I've been a fan of Arcade Fire from the off and I'm currently watching them and really enjoying it!
I used to really like elbow but now find them a bit 'MOR' and in fact boring, didn't enjoy that.
I'm actually looking firward to Lana del Rey and hoping to see Pixies

Edit. First time since 1994 that I actually do wish I was there. Arcade fire have been amazing!
Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
ABCC Cycling Coach

Comments

• random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Arcade Fire are a superb band, I saw them a few years ago, they were a force of nature, there's so many of them, running about, swapping instruments, very exciting.
  • Agree Arcade Fire were good, never liked Elbow, depressing music. Heard them described as ' mirth Hoovers' by one wag.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Agree Arcade Fire were good, never liked Elbow, depressing music. Heard them described as ' mirth Hoovers' by one wag.

:D
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Been a couple of times in my single days, last time was'97 and Radiohead's stunning show.

My overriding memory though was spending your time thinking that there is a better show going on at another stage!!

Do wish I'd been there when The White Stripes headlined, never saw them live and it looked a sensational show watching on tv.
  • I've been to Pilton Pop festival but never Glastonbury. Sounds awful.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    I have been to 6 Glastonbury's over the last 2 decades. The best ones have been when the headlining acts are a bit rubbish and you get out to see/ join in with the other side of the festival chilling in naked Indian teepee saunas and wandering round lost vagueness, in the rabbit hole or seeing the performance art. Arcadia field with lightning brothers was very good when there in its first year.

My preferred way of doing Glastonbury is now in a motor home with shower, fridge and proper beds and cooking facilities in a decent sized pitch. Would never camp again, too old.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    random man wrote:
    Arcade Fire are a superb band, I saw them a few years ago, they were a force of nature, there's so many of them, running about, swapping instruments, very exciting.

Cuts into your earning potential fairly significantly, having to share all the money around so many people! Fair portion of the stuff the ancillary guys add most bands just add in a studio or with a few paid extras.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Im an elbow junkie, seen them twice in the last two months and they are on down here next month at the eden project.. Didnt quite get arcade fire i must confess, not really heard of them up to now. I guess its whatever floats your boat. Would have loved to have gone but didnt get my head around applying in time...
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    It sold out in hour or so. Ticket tout if you wanted to get in I reckon. You see more of the bands on TV but more of other things if you're there. Only been to reading and Leeds and only one day each. Thought I was missing stuff all the time. Was the band I'm watching better than the one in the other tent?
    Metallica playing? Reading 97 was a bust. The time spent sorting out the pa and guitars when they went wrong lasted longer than the whole set. They were possibly the worst set I'd seen. Not normal for that band which is known for its live shows.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    BTW what's your fantasy lineup for Glasto? Dead or alive, who would you want to see? Who would get you there? You can pick a band at their best too, say the clash when Sandinista had just come out for example or the jam after Eton Rifles.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    BTW what's your fantasy lineup for Glasto? Dead or alive, who would you want to see?

Definitely not Dead or Alive. Now, was "spin me right round" a hopeful instruction Pete?
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Rodrigo y Gabriela has been my favourite so far though I was already aware of them, I've yet to hear a band that I don't know who've made me want to find out more.

Interested to hear whether Metallica deliver later, Master of Puppets was the first CD I bought.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    IoW '69 was great. I was told I had an interesting time. Kipping in bin liners was OK. 36 hours hitching back to Manchester a bit boring. Probably. Glastonbury never appealed - bit middle class.

I'd have liked to see Metallica tonight, but I can't stay awake that late any more.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    frazered wrote:
    My preferred way of doing Glastonbury is now in a motor home with shower, fridge and proper beds and cooking facilities in a decent sized pitch. Would never camp again, too old.

This, or in the £9000 'pop up' hotel if I had the money, its probably not the done thing though :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Rodrigo y Gabriela has been my favourite so far though I was already aware of them, I've yet to hear a band that I don't know who've made me want to find out more.

Interested to hear whether Metallica deliver later, Master of Puppets was the first CD I bought.

Rodrigo y Gabriela doing a version Orion off Master Of Puppets is simply amazing,quite intriguied about metallica,and how the bbc deal with them,and alot of people complaining about them headlining,cannot be any worse than Leeds/reading festival when Nine Inch Nails were completely ignored by the BBC
  • verylonglegs
    I wonder if they'll do a rendition of So What, the complaints would be off the scale :lol: I would post a youtube link but it would almost certainly get me banned!
  • rick_chasey
    BTW what's your fantasy lineup for Glasto? Dead or alive, who would you want to see? Who would get you there? You can pick a band at their best too, say the clash when Sandinista had just come out for example or the jam after Eton Rifles.

RATM
    Nirvana
    QOTSA
    Massive attack (playing on Sunday!)
    Leftfield
    Aphex Twin
    Radiohead
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I wonder if they'll do a rendition of So What, the complaints would be off the scale :lol: I would post a youtube link but it would almost certainly get me banned!

LMAO here
  • rick_chasey

Doubt it would.

Was a cover though.
  • frazered

RATM
    Nirvana
    QOTSA
    Leftfield
    Aphex Twin
    Radiohead
    That would be pretty good.

I would add squarepusher and way out west
  • frazered
    arran77 wrote:
    frazered wrote:

This, or in the £9000 'pop up' hotel if I had the money, its probably not the done thing though :wink:
    We hire a motorhome. 700 quid for a 4 berth for Glastonbury period. Pick up in Hampshire, fill with booze and food. Drive in, set up and enjoy. Equivalent of a holiday really when you tot it all up.
  • rick_chasey
    frazered wrote:

RATM
    Nirvana
    QOTSA
    Leftfield
    Aphex Twin
    Radiohead
    That would be pretty good.

I would add squarepusher and way out west

Ha! Can't stand squarepusher.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    So. What are we making of Metallica then? I reckon they're "owning it" as I believe the saying goes. I'm not an avid fan but they're doing a cracking job. Jack White was brilliant before that, and I caught Jurassic 5 on the iplayer earlier - just great.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • verylonglegs
    I don't have the benefits of pictures as I'm listening to it streamed through 6music but to me they sound way more connected with the live audience than U2 and the Stones in previous years, it sounds very good indeed. I am a fan however so I may be bias.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Enjoying Pixes, replacement for Kim is OK as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    Metallica were awsome
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    metallica?

were they the bunch of balding older chaps?

i thought it was a status quo tribute band when i flicked over from the football, so i quickly switched back.

horrid!
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    English national ballet performing dust... Epic
  • Still smiling @ Robert Plant set and his guitarist's son dancing on stage :D
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Been twice but not since 1994. It's too big, too crowded and full of thieves. And mud.

Happily go to smaller festivals, not into watching headline acts, just like a chilled atmos, good friends, and some enhancement.