Sportive training

Nepper
Nepper Posts: 9
Hi just entered tour de mon in Anglesey 75 mile route . I am riding 18 miles a day to and from work just wondering what training I need to be doing for it . It's in August and I think you get eight hours to complete it but I would like to try and get round in four to five depending on conditions
Thanks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    First thing you need to do is go on some longer rides...
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    75 miles in 5 hours is 15mph. That's quite tough for a "beginner", especialy if there are hills.

As above, you need to be doing longer rides. For a 75 miler you should be aiming to do at least a 60 miler before hand and getting used to drinking and eating on the ride which is something you don't need to think about for 18 miles. If you can do 60 without too much of an issue, then 75 miles should be doable.

Also, don't try to go fast, just go at a sustainable pace.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    18 miles per day will stand you with a good base. Just try and get longer rides on Sundays, if you can regularly do 60 miles most weekends without feeling destroyed afterwards you'll do 75 no bother.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    As they've said - go out on a weekend and ride longer. And try and find some climbs to ride too.
  • michaelede
    michaelede Posts: 152
    Trainer roads novice low volume century plan got me ready for 107 miles in 8 to 12 weeks.
  • michaelede wrote:
    Trainer roads novice low volume century plan got me ready for 107 miles in 8 to 12 weeks.

Is that anything like riding a bike?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • michaelede
    michaelede Posts: 152
    michaelede wrote:

Is that anything like riding a bike?

Did the ride last weekend after 8 weeks (just checked) of shortish sessions on the Turbo and about 4 longish rides (2-6 hours, one of those rides was a 67 mile sportive) on the road in that time. Prior to that I had only commuted 8 km to and from work 1-3 times a week over the previous summer / Autumn. I am trying to make the point (badly) that you don't need to do lots of miles on the road to train for a ride that is much longer than you are used to but you do need to figure out how to pace yourself.

I believe the plan is the same as the Carmichael Time Crunched Cyclist low volume plan just carried out on a turbo rather than the road.