Physio/deep tissue massage

Graeme Jones
Graeme Jones Posts: 361
After a lower back issue starting in march but completely giving way in April my season has been non existent so far.
The doctor believed the issue to be mechanical and referred me to physio therapy after an assessment last week he believes I have a slight discrepancy in leg lengths which won't be helping the situation along with core strength work, a build in one shoes and some deep tissue sessions it should help me get bike ready.

I had my first proper session and entering the room I had no real pain or any acknowledgment that any muscles were tight but by god I knew about it instantly once the pressure was on.

Has anyone found this to help them as I'm fed up being off the bike (instructed for 2 week)

Comments

• dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Had lower back issues after fiddling with my position (2cm longer stem). Since I seem to be unable to understand the sunk cost fallacy, rather than popping the old stem back on, 3 sessions of deep tissue massage on the lower back/hip (note: unspeakably painful, was literally weeping into the face hole) over the span of a fortnight sorted me out nicely. Was never entirely off the bike, but was a lot happier on it afterwards.

Also, pilates. I do an hour session a week, sorts all core issues v. efficiently.
  • My back issues stemed from tight lower half, hip flexors, quads and Hams etc. Sitting at a desk all day, riding and footballing with no real stretching or muscle maintenance to speak of got me into a bad place.

Can only recommend stretching out your hip flexors etc daily/every other, using a rumble roller and sitting your butt on a tennis ball.

Its a chore, but it stopped my issues after a few weeks.
  • Graeme Jones
    Graeme Jones Posts: 361
    I have some good lover back exercises to do which should strengthen thi he a bit and hopefully 2-3 sessions ill be in a better place but being off the bike is upsetting!
  • alpineaddict
    alpineaddict Posts: 247
    Had lower back issues for a couple of years Graeme so I feel your pain, literally. I too have a leg length discrepancy and am going through similar bike assessments etc. etc. I have 2 x 3mm shims underfoot now, Specialized footbeds and awaiting valgus wedges to hopefully sort my foot pain (a possible consequence of my body being unbalanced)

Stretching is key... With leg length discrepancies, come lower body tightness... As Rouge Penguin mentions, Stretch the life out of your hamstrings, adductors, abductors, hip flexors, flutes... pretty much everything below the waist as they're all pulling on your lower back...

I have a foam roller (painful) and regularly have a deep tissue massage...

I also find that going for short runs help (4/5km)... Due to the constant, even, movement...

Hope this helps and good luck dude...
  • timujink
    timujink Posts: 100
    I had pretty much the same... diagnosis was tight QL muscles (Quadratus Lumborum)

lots of deep tissue work lower back, glute area and try to stretch a lot.. been told to even cut my ride by 30mins to incorporate stretching if I dont have time after.. rehab was 10min bike on turbo, 10min stretch, 10min bike etc etc for total of 1hr 30mins... its helped, still get bit of pain.

core muscles are in the process of getting stronger so eventually this will go away... issues with sitting at a desk for so long!

also make sure you really stretch out your hamstrings... tightness there will effect the lower back a lot more than I thought...

2015 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX