Niggles

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
I had a couple of months off the bike earlier this year while I was constructing my new back garden. Managed to get it finished mid May and since then I've really been making up for the lost 2 months - managed about 1250 miles.

A few weeks back I starting to get a bit of left knee pain (both on and off the bike) and my hamstrings and calf's were getting pins and needles (off the bike). After doing a bit of research I realised that my seat was positioned too far forward (as far forward as possible), so I have moved it back about half way. Since then I've been out both weekends doing 20 miles on Fri, 50 miles on Sat and 50 miles on Sun. I'm no longer getting the knee pain or pins and needles in hamstrings/calf's, however, I'm starting to get other niggles.

About 15/20 miles in my left shoulder gets pins and needles. Having had a quick look at my bike I think this should be easily solved, left shifter seems a smidge lower than the right, bars look like they need rotating up slightly aswell and I might be sliding down my seat slightly so can look at that.

My main concern is the pain I'm getting in between the top of my left hamstring and ar$e cheek. I start feeling it after about 40 miles on the bike (pins and needles/numbness). When off the bike it only appears when I'm sat down for a while (I'm sat at a desk all day). Pain isn't too much, a bit uncomfortable, but not the pins and needles/numbness suffered on the bike. Any ideas on this as I'm at a bit of a loss?

Like I said earlier, I've done about 1250 miles in just over a month and in that time I was off work for 10 days and managed to get out for 9 rides (7 50 mile and 2 20 mile) with a day off the bike in the middle. Could it be that I've been overdoing it?

I should add, the pain has coincided with a new pair of bib shorts. I don't for a minute think that's the problem, just wanted to make sure I've covered and best explained everything.

Sorry for the long post.

Comments

• runny
    runny Posts: 13
    Is it worth going to a physio and/or a sports massage therapist?
  • It could be a trapped nerve, or muscle fibre bonding/sticking, most certainly induced by extra volume than normal.

My advise would be:

1. Try massaging the glutes and lower back with a foam roller
    2. Stretching post cycling helps elongate the tendons again
    3. Try some Hold/Cold compression and elevation
    Give this a try for 3-5 days, if it still persists then you should visit a physio.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Sorry. Thought that said nipples.. *leaves*
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • dinyull
    Just wanted to give this a bump.

I noticed a few weeks ago that my left spd has worn down meaning my left foot is moving about. After reading a tip on here I wrapped the pedal where worn with gaffer tape but whilst out on sat noticed that my foot was still moving (not as bad as before) and that my left foot pointing inwards towards the bike - not straight on like my right foot.

Could foot position be causing me the problem mentioned in the original post?
  • Probably too much gardening
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Dinyull wrote:
    Just wanted to give this a bump.

I noticed a few weeks ago that my left spd has worn down meaning my left foot is moving about. After reading a tip on here I wrapped the pedal where worn with gaffer tape but whilst out on sat noticed that my foot was still moving (not as bad as before) and that my left foot pointing inwards towards the bike - not straight on like my right foot.

Could foot position be causing me the problem mentioned in the original post?

Yep - if the foot alignment is wrong it can cause all manner of problems.
  • davecara
    davecara Posts: 104
    Have you had a bike fit done?
  • dinyull
    No, I haven't. Been riding on off for the last 3 years and never really had any problems.

I'm doing my best to avoid it as I've just gotten engaged and money will be tight over the next 2 years but it's getting to the point where I'm going to have to bite the bullet. Just ordered some new SPD's as my current pedals have worn down so will see if that makes any difference and if not then I'll get booked in.
  • davecara
    davecara Posts: 104
    I'm in a similar boat to you really. Had it pretty much dialled but new saddle, cranks, shifters and a few other bits and its all gone to pot.
    I'm looking towards Cadence Sport or Pedal Precision to get mine done