crashed new bike, now no confidence in it

ozzzyosborn206
ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
Hi all, wasn't sure where to post this so sorry if its in the wrong group. I recently got a new bike for the team I ride with, I have gone for a smaller frame than my previous bike but have stuck a longer stem on it and the fit feels fine. About the 3rd or 4th ride on it I crashed, it was a really strange crash halfway through a corner the front just washed out, I went back to have a look but there was no visible oil or anything on the road. Since I haven't had much confidence in corners and I almost expect the front to wash out as it doesn't feel like its gripping to the road like my old bike.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be, would a slacker head angle make it handle much different? or is it just a case of losing confidence?

My 'old' bike was a Spec sl4 and the new bike is a Sarto D57. It is the same wheelset and tyres i am using so isn't that.

My thinking is to take the SL4 out and see if i feel confident on it through the corners still or not.

Comments

• fcukwit
    fcukwit Posts: 63
    I'm no expert, but if your team is giving you a bike, surely you can have a bike fit for it?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    given that it's the same wheels/tyres perhaps it was a combination of hard cornering meets small pebble and bad luck? just enough to lift the tyre, lose grip and away the front goes, pebble pings away leaving no trace

i've clipped things on the straight and had the wheel skip a few cm, seems possible it could be far worse on a corner
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    You'd better find your mojo soon - haven't you got a big race coming up in a month...?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    How did it feel in those first 3 or 4 rides? if it was fine, then what ever happened was a one off, cause unknown, and you need to think of it as just that... if it felt like a bag of spanners during those rides, then can't you go for the next size up that matches the SL4 ?
    Stick with your new bike, that's what you have chosen to ride and unless you have a real reason not to ride it, then you need to go with that, swopping around will just confuse you and play on your mind.