So, What's The Deal With Prince Harry...

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    There's a great discussion going on right now over at www.royalradar.com - the topic is 'Should we abolish VTech?'...

Sorry, I can't post a link. Security reasons 'n all that....
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    meagain wrote:
    "Not at all, it the fact that I am incredibly business minded that I realise just what the royalty does for the country.
    My earlier comment about idiocy and unemployed was meant as the only people who would consider the royal family a genuine burden are A) idiots, due to the fact you would need to be an idiot to truly think that ...."

Wow, I can only be impressed by the level of logic and argument deployed here - what deep and clear thinking must lie behind the conclusion that "you are an idiot because ...you are an idiot"! Irrefutable logic.

More seriously, have you sought help with your mental disability? Tried primary school?

It is however reasuring to understand the intellectual standing of loyal royals - much the same as the average 6 year old.

Am I meant to be offended by your insult ?
    As a person with a 6 year old brain could I ask the question "what have you achieved" ? or would that be rude as well.

You see, I often find haters or people who hurl abuse to be of either low moral fibre or people who just don't care and think of the world as a place where chances only happen for "others"

The strange thing is, I could be made bankrupt tomorrow and still be financially wealthy within a year and that is because of a few things. 1) Im motivated beyond comprehension, 2) I don't listen to others, I just do what needs to be done, 3) I was incredibly lucky to have been born in the UK where chances are aplenty and ability to make a fortune is within everyones grasp.

The fact we were born in the UK, with people willing us to succeed, like the royal family and various organisations means we have capabilities like no other in history. I posted a while back about how no one in the UK is truly in poverty and was ridiculed.
    It seems idiocy tules on this forum where people can't see the woods through the trees.
    Living MY dream.
  • imposter2.0
    top trolling - 8/10. If you'd managed to mention the Nazis and/or Imelda Marcos it would have got 10...
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    arran77 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    I can't say that I'm a fan of the Royal Family, I think that's it's an outdated concept that needs to be scrapped.

How would we replace the billions that they generate ?

Where does the billions come from?

An article in the Telegraph today puts the figure at £500 million per year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/tourism/8587231/UK-Tourism-facts-and-figures.html

And even if you take that figure at face value and assume that nobody would ever visit those buildings if the royals disappeared, tourists would just find something else to do - another museum or castle or whatever. They wouldn't just say "ah well, I would have visited Buckingham Palace today, but I'll just stay in my hotel room instead, such is the lack of alternative tourist attractions in London."
  • steerpike
    steerpike Posts: 424
    A bunch of irrelevant German simpletons, an affront to democracy and an embarrassment to any Brit who would wish to see the UK as a progressive place.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    johnfinch wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    I can't say that I'm a fan of the Royal Family, I think that's it's an outdated concept that needs to be scrapped.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/tourism/8587231/UK-Tourism-facts-and-figures.html

And even if you take that figure at face value and assume that nobody would ever visit those buildings if the royals disappeared, tourists would just find something else to do - another museum or castle or whatever. They wouldn't just say "ah well, I would have visited Buckingham Palace today, but I'll just stay in my hotel room instead, such is the lack of alternative tourist attractions in London."

We still haven't been enlightened as to where this mythical billions figure comes from :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Vtech is correct, civil list needs modernising but the Q gives us Brits a voice in the world that we d not otherwise have.... maybe!
    Tourists head for London, they may then go else where, but who the hell would come to over populated, crappy weather UK ? .... normally! if it wasn't for the Royalty and their trappings?

As for Sun readers being Royalists...... you obviously don't know many red top "readers"

Wills and Kate will breath new life into the Royal family and with a few tweaks, they would be as good as any Presidential head of state, with all the corruption that has bought other countries in Europe and considerably cheaper!
  • VTech
    arran77 wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

We still haven't been enlightened as to where this mythical billions figure comes from :lol:

And there was I thinking you were one of those with brain power :wink:

If we took away the royals the direct cost would be a huge loss in direct revenue: http://relentlesslife.wordpress.com/201 ... explained/ but the real key issue is not the direct revenue but the indirect.
    The investment bought here due to their work, due to them securing trade which doesn't take a lot to figure out is a tad more than a billion.
    The problem is, in the grand scheme of things, several billion isn't really that much so to argue to the toss with me over such a poultry sum is odd to say the least.

Anyway, I am glad they are here and am happy with the work they do for our country. If I could employ someone who gained so much for such a small cost I would jump at the chance.

As I was posting this a very well worded reply from mambo80 mentions wills and kate, 2 excellent role models who not only generate wealth for the country but are excellent ambassadors of the country. is there anyone who could honestly deny that ?
    Living MY dream.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I'm glad you added the :wink: VTech otherwise I might have taken offence :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    mamba80 wrote:
    Vtech is correct, civil list needs modernising but the Q gives us Brits a voice in the world that we d not otherwise have.... maybe!
    Tourists head for London, they may then go else where, but who the hell would come to over populated, crappy weather UK ? .... normally! if it wasn't for the Royalty and their trappings?

never heard such a ridiculous/lame argument in my life
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • VTech
    mamba80 wrote:

I find people who write such nonsense the same as those who always think of life as being unfair. Those that think "other" get the chances whilst they struggle and have a "why me" syndrome.
    The reasoning for that is that in life, I find those that dislike or who complain are normally those that argue and moan about things yet offer no attempt at a fix or give no valid explanation as to why they believe life is unfair so instead moan and biatch but never give reason.
    arran77 wrote:
    I'm glad you added the :wink: VTech otherwise I might have taken offence :lol:

How could I ever think of the "king of smut" as a man with no sense of humour :mrgreen:
    Living MY dream.
  • finchy
    mamba80 wrote:

People who are interested in our history and culture.
  • imposter2.0
    johnfinch wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

People who are interested in our history and culture.

Unbelievably, one or two tourists still visit Versailles - despite the long-standing (and pretty-well documented) absence of the French Royal family....
  • mamba80
    mamba80 wrote:

Not that lame, If that's all you can muster against my point of view?

Presidential or Royalist ? we need a head of state and the Queen has done an admirable job, plus they attract a lot of tourists and she is known throughout the world, off the top of your head, could you name 3, 2 or even 1 euro president?
    However, I would be all for disbanding the commonwealth.
  • finchy
    mamba80 wrote:
    off the top of your head, could you name 3, 2 or even 1 euro president?

Angela Merckel, Francois Hollande.
  • imposter2.0
    mamba80 wrote:

So we should keep the monarchy because people don't know enough about European politics?
  • VTech
    Imposter wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

So we should keep the monarchy because people don't know enough about European politics?

No, we should keep the monarchy due to the great things it does for the people.

Can I ask you a "simple" question. ?

Lets say we all listened to your view, what would we replace the monarchy with ? or would we just abolish it and do nothing ?
    Living MY dream.
  • imposter2.0
    VTech wrote:
    No, we should keep the monarchy due to the great things it does for the people.

Can I ask you a "simple" question. ?

Lets say we all listened to your view, what would we replace the monarchy with ? or would we just abolish it and do nothing ?

My view? Nowhere in this thread have I argued for the removal of the monarchy. I have simply countered some of the lame arguments in favour of retaining it.

To answer your question though - I would put you in charge. Cos you're awesome.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Imposter wrote:
    top trolling - 8/10. If you'd managed to mention the Nazis and/or Imelda Marcos it would have got 10...

As our No 1, hard core wind up merchant I was beginning to think he was losing his touch a little lately, but I have to say he's back to his scintillating best here!
    VTech, I salute you sir. :D
  • mamba80
    Imposter wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

out of context but you know that!

point is, replace with? unknown corrupt politician (is there any other type?) or keep with something that works, is known and respected the world over... not perfect but what is?

You are being argumentative, without actually adding much to the debate.
  • mamba80
    johnfinch wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

well you got one :)

Merckel is chancellor, Gauck is President.
  • imposter2.0
    mamba80 wrote:

You are being argumentative, without actually adding much to the debate.

Actually, I'm being open-minded. And frankly, if the best that the pro-monarchists can come up with is "ooh, what about the tourism?", then you are not really adding much to the debate either.

Propping up an archaic hereditary-based, constitutional monarchy, simply because it may or may not bring in a few quid to the UK economy - whatever next. Good job you're not anti-arms trade.....
  • finchy
    mamba80 wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

well you got one :)

Merckel is chancellor, Gauck is President.

Oops. :oops:
  • finchy
    mamba80 wrote:
    point is, replace with?

If you don't believe in an elected head of state, then how about appointing a non-political figure who has served the nation well over his/her life. Maybe you could rotate it between, say artists, scientists/engineers/charity workers etc. who are getting on a bit. That would be a great way of genuinely demonstrating the best of British to the world, rather than someone who was born into the position.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    edited June 2014
    nathancom wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Only idiots and serial unemployed argue for cessation of the monarchy.
    like these guys?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican ... _in_the_UK

Advocates of republicanism in the UK[edit]
    Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, Independent columnist.[14]
    Martin Amis, novelist [3]

Tony Benn, former MP (Labour)[16]

Julie Burchill, writer and columnist[14]

John Cole, former BBC political editor[22]

Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist and writer[25][26]

Simon Fanshawe, writer and broadcaster[14]

Jonathan Freedland, journalist[14]

Roy Hattersley, former MP (Labour), member of the House of Lords[16]

Christopher Hitchens, author and columnist

Michael Mansfield, QC[16]

Steven Rose, scientist and writer[14]
    Michael Rosen, novelist and poet[14]
    Geoffrey Robertson, QC[14]
    Alan Rusbridger, editor, The Guardian[44]

Will Self, journalist[47]
    Paul Simonon, musician[14]

Benjamin Zephaniah, poet (publicly refused to accept an OBE in 2003)[52]

Hey we can all edit that list of republicans. These people I left in are some respected individuals in their own fields. From big hitters in science, journalism, law, politics. Just so you know, among the masses of labour awkward squad names and left leaning liberals there is Nigel Benn (late). A conviction politician of the old school with integrity. Roy Hattersley, well he was a big hitter back in the day before the Blair lot and current crowd took integrity and threw it out the window.

Anyway, this list of people I've left in are intelligent people who believe in the end of constitutional monarchy. Someone put their own edited list up leaving footballers, Jo Brand and other similar people in an attempt to ridicule the republican side. That was a little naughty I thought and made me wonder why, their arguments were weak perhaps.
    BTW I'm actually sitting on the fence on this. I don't see any political system as being better or.worse than republics, constitutional monarchy or anything else. You'll end up with power in the hands of politicians. What? You think Queeny has any power or to put it another way, do you think she would ever use what little theoretical power her title bestows on her? She is a figurehead. There are other figurehead out there.
    Love the trade deals arguments. Arguing that it's without corruption. Didn't Queenys son got dropped because there's some dodgy activities with one of his mats? Then the biggest trade deal ever, al Yamammah (bad spelling). BAe Systems won a huge defence deal with Saudis decades back but have been under investigation for their slush funds, corruption and other alleged illegal acts. That deal would have had royal assistance. Funny how France makes destroyers for Russia without royal, they're winning plane orders for their euro fighter lite. You've got German industry doing well without monarchy. Ever heard of Siemens? Big global business, German, winning massive contracts all over the world.
  • imposter2.0
    Then the biggest trade deal ever, al Sammamish (bad spelling).

Al Yamamah - or 'Al Yamaha' as we used to call it...
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Tourism? Nothing to see without monarchy? Interesting theory but not sure it's got any grounding in reality. Never seen masses of Japanese tourists crowding out of coaches in the Lake District? Beatrix Potter's writings have been used to teach English to generations of Japanese children. A big draw I'm told. For years Aussies, Americans and many other nation's young men and women have travelled and worked around the lakes on their grand European tour. Yes London is a big draw but not just for Buck House.
    One thing I do like about royalty is how every so often they do something truly worthwhile. Prince's trust, duke of Edinburgh's involvement with wwf and nature conservancy around the world are two examples. Another is Andrew's service in the Falklands. A helicopter pilot who acted as decoy to exocet missiles.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    nathancom wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Only idiots and serial unemployed argue for cessation of the monarchy.
    like these guys?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican ... _in_the_UK

Advocates of republicanism in the UK[edit]
    Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, Independent columnist.[14]
    Martin Amis, novelist [3]

Tony Benn, former MP (Labour)[16]

Julie Burchill, writer and columnist[14]

John Cole, former BBC political editor[22]

Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist and writer[25][26]

Simon Fanshawe, writer and broadcaster[14]

Jonathan Freedland, journalist[14]

Roy Hattersley, former MP (Labour), member of the House of Lords[16]

Christopher Hitchens, author and columnist

Michael Mansfield, QC[16]

Steven Rose, scientist and writer[14]
    Michael Rosen, novelist and poet[14]
    Geoffrey Robertson, QC[14]
    Alan Rusbridger, editor, The Guardian[44]

Will Self, journalist[47]
    Paul Simonon, musician[14]

Benjamin Zephaniah, poet (publicly refused to accept an OBE in 2003)[52]

Hey we can all edit that list of republicans. These people I left in are some respected individuals in their own fields. From big hitters in science, journalism, law, politics. Just so you know, among the masses of labour awkward squad names and left leaning liberals there is Nigel Benn (late). A conviction politician of the old school with integrity. Roy Hattersley, well he was a big hitter back in the day before the Blair lot and current crowd took integrity and threw it out the window.

Anyway, this list of people I've left in are intelligent people who believe in the end of constitutional monarchy. Someone put their own edited list up leaving footballers, Jo Brand and other similar people in an attempt to ridicule the republican side. That was a little naughty I thought and made me wonder why, their arguments were weak perhaps.

To you sir, I apologise. Yes, there's a lot of smart people on both sides of the argument, and it was very easy to trim the list down to a few "less relevant".

May I further point out the the late Tony Benn was a politician, Nigel Benn is a big hitter of another kind. :)
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • mamba80
    johnfinch wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    point is, replace with?

If you don't believe in an elected head of state, then how about appointing a non-political figure who has served the nation well over his/her life. Maybe you could rotate it between, say artists, scientists/engineers/charity workers etc. who are getting on a bit. That would be a great way of genuinely demonstrating the best of British to the world, rather than someone who was born into the position.

Got a point...... but removing the monarchy would be extremely divisive, the monarch is head of the church of England, we are nominally a Christian country.
    before I go further, im not really a monarchist, its just that would we like a Tony Blair as President? or a divisive figure like thatcher? believed at the time, to be a great figure that served her country well, as for non political appointees, yes with careful vetting, could work - though I wouldn't vote for Nigel Benn :lol:
    elected ones? we in the uk have a terrible record of voting, would we like a head of state voted in by 30% of the electorate?
    the monarch can be removed in the event of scandal, unlike a voted in one, who could just say stuff it im staying full term, which is what PM s do :)
    I said earlier that the civil list needs modernising but one poster said that countries that don't have a monarch do very well...so they do, wouldn't argue against that, but I cant see thats because they don't have a monarch? unless you believe the monarchy projects the class system and is the reason why technical/engineering is looked down upon in the uk?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I am ambivalent towards the Royal family, but on the whole would be for keeping them, albeit in a slimmed down version.
    If we abolished them, I can't see that I would be one penny better off. So if it ain't broke...