Tour de France stage 2 York-Sheffield *Spoiler*

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Does anyone know where I can view a full stage replay?
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    Good morning from that there London.

No hangover this morning, just knackerred. Stupidly slow drive South. Never seen so many cars with bikes.

We were on A1 surrounded by the Caravanne. AWESOME!!!!

Here's 12 minutes worth of Cote D Blubberhouses

http://youtu.be/Di__-3c77U8

Break arrive at almost 5 minute mark, peloton 2 minutes later.

Well behaved crowd, BAGPIPER on the cliff. Lots of great banter.

Terpstra off the back of peloton pretending to be Adam Hansen.

Reza on bottle duty and some poor NetApp guy (I think Dempster) gets a puncture.

I'm loving the cheeky blokes who ride up immediately behind the last vehicle.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    It's NOT t L B Liege :? :?
    I reckon this is how the actual route of LBL as part of a grand tour would have been raced. And not all recent LBLs were hugely exciting...
    That being said, I agree with Frenchie that it was a bit disappointing that no stronger riders were in the break. I guess at this stage still too many riders either dream of a GC placing or domestique for a rider who does.

The finale was great to watch, and clearly Nibali's experience in one day races did show.

Result: Astana team car at the front on stage 5 over the cobbles, with Sky and Tinkoff further back. Worth a couple of days of work for the team?
  • FJS
    Amazing atmosphere roadside, and a great day for Yorkshire tourism. See, the weather's not that bad around here ;-)

I'm not sure much could have been done to avoid the small amount of space given to the riders, apart from fencing the whole route off. It's just the sheer amount of people of a TdF grand depart outside France. I'm not sure it's going to be any safer next year in Utrecht. I agree the peloton selfies are stupid, but I can see those being a pain in Utrecht too.

The only really avoidable stupidity was that the security people nor the police appeared to be briefed on when to open the roads again. After the grupetto with Kittel and Greipel had come past people started going home in what looked like a pitch invasion, well before the last riders had come past, with the security people or police doing nothing to warn people. Riccheze could barely get past and had to seriously slow down, which would have been shameful had he finished outside the time limit (not far off I think...)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Anyone else watch David Millar on ITV4 and think Mick Fleetwood hosting the Brits?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    "It's a different feeling riding without Cav," Kwiatkowski said. "I honestly really missed him today, he gave a really nice speech to us this morning that motivated us. I hope he is well.

"For me, that was a stage which was close to a stage that can suit my skills, such as Liege-Bastogne-Liege, but with a much higher speed. I suffered so much on all of the climbs. It was not easy to be in the front. But the team was always around me. They really helped me and I could be in the front on the final.

"I think I did my best and I have nothing to complain about. I tried to wait for the finish because I saw some teams there with two or three riders. I thought they'd chase down every single attack. But, finally, Nibali went and the chase was unorganized.

"But no matter what I am happy about my performance and my 3rd place finish. It boosts my confidence. Now, the feeling is back that I had from the beginning of the season and my morale is high. I am happy to do well and, in a way, show Cav that we will fight for him even though he is not here with us."

I <3 Kwiatkowski.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    FJS wrote:
    I'm not sure much could have been done to avoid the small amount of space given to the riders

A big part of this is the 'casual' fan or spectator just there for the event having no idea what's actually coming towards them or the potential risks.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Anyone else watch David Millar on ITV4 and think Mick Fleetwood hosting the Brits?
    So is Chris or Gary playing Sam Fox?
  • FJS
    FJS wrote:
    I'm not sure much could have been done to avoid the small amount of space given to the riders

A big part of this is the 'casual' fan or spectator just there for the event having no idea what's actually coming towards them or the potential risks.
    But that's the case to some degree for the Tour de France in general, isn't it? It's just bigger than anything else.

Other perspective?
    Bram Tankink ‏@bramtankink 12h
    More than 4 million in 2 days besides (and on) the road. Which big compagny doesn't want to invest in this? Big big advertisment.

And, I could be wrong, but it does seem there have been actually fewer crashes than any other TdF opening weekend; not markedly more at least
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    FJS wrote:
    And, I could be wrong, but it does seem there have been actually fewer crashes than any other TdF opening weekend; not markedly more at least

They mention in the cycling podcast that Stage 1 was on the slowest schedule as well
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    FJS wrote:
    FJS wrote:

But that's the case to some degree for the Tour de France in general, isn't it? It's just bigger than anything else.

Other perspective?
    More than 4 million in 2 days besides (and on) the road. Which big compagny doesn't want to invest in this? Big big advertisment.

The opening days have been carnage in recent years. Aside from Cav's spectacular fall there's not been much serious, has there? No proper GC riders losing time, no others forced out through injury?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    FJS wrote:
    Other perspective?

Yes it did neutralise the racing a bit but the crowds were phenomenal and you imagine the organisers must be looking at another stage start in Britain at some point.

On a personal anecdote note the Eurosport Greg Lemond on Tour car parked up opposite ours at the M1 services on the way home and while I didn't see the great man the Eurosport interviewer (Stefano something?) used the urinal next to me in the toilets - I'd have taken a selfie but I didn't realise until I was washing my hands.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Froome looks appalling - everything about it was awful. Even my mum, who doesnt watch overly much cycling, mentioned how bad he looks.
    Haha, can you write any comment without slagging off the British hope? Funny reading your shoot.

My mam also doesnt watch overly much cycling and commented how sluggish she thought Contador looked, really seemed to be struggling she said...

He's got a point. Froome challenges TV and CAS for ugliness on a bike.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Pross wrote:
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Froome looks appalling - everything about it was awful. Even my mum, who doesnt watch overly much cycling, mentioned how bad he looks.
    Haha, can you write any comment without slagging off the British hope? Funny reading your shoot.

My mam also doesnt watch overly much cycling and commented how sluggish she thought Contador looked, really seemed to be struggling she said...

He's got a point. Froome challenges TV and CAS for ugliness on a bike.

It does make him super easy to pick out in a group though even on a really dodgy pixellated stream, so it has its uses.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Pross
    Had a cracking day on the Cote De Oughtibridge, thank you FJS for the recommendation. Had a prime spot just before the 20km to go banner, not crowded and right on the edge of the road and surprisingly easy to get away afterwards. The climb seemed much longer and steeper as I walked back up than it had coming down. The race was well split up by then with the grouper to over 10 minutes back so plenty to see and then about 15 minutes after they went past with tens of thousands walking on the road a Lampre rider went through hanging onto a car!

Was tempted to go to Essex today as the race passes my sister's front door (literally) but thought it would be a massive anti-climax.
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    I really do not understand these fans that travel all the way to their spot, wait all day for the riders to come, then instead of looking at the riders and enjoying a rare moment of joy, they are looking through the screens of their cameras, tablets and phones. And for what? Some crappy, blurred shot no doubt.

Of course you're right. Do they not realise that they could sit at home on their computer and post - uncredited - other people's photos instead?
    Big lol.

Great stage. Well done Yorkshire.
  • Pross
    imagejpg52_zpsadc230fd.jpg

One of my better lucky shots. Again Frenchie made a good point, I've made the mistake of watching a race through a camera lens in the past so just opted for holding the iPad in the right direction and firing away.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    dougzz wrote:
    So is Chris or Gary playing Sam Fox?

Only in terms of height. Millar is a little nervous, Boardman does what he does well ( state the obvious), and Imlach is Imlach.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Parked near the spectator hub in Holmfirth and walked halfway up Holme Moss.

Fairly quiet as most people were either at the summit or down in the town.

some great pics.

10295998_10152581698512806_8257266505990916007_o_zpsc7ae0cfc.jpg

10404059_10152581699172806_2219456270789759932_o_zps7ad93c0f.jpg
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Did anyone else think that when Voeckler attacked, no one was in the slightest bit bothered. He seems to me to be really not up to much. Think father time and injuries have taken the edge off him.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    edited July 2014
    Couple of pics from Leeds Saturday, and Holme Moss Sunday

It really was an incredible weekend. Cycling out from home Sunday was fantastic, a great atmosphere and closed roads. Up on the hill it was a like a festival. Brilliant spirit shown by everyone and roaring cheers for the riders. The walk back down was a bit of a drag, but once past Holmefirth the road cleared, and the heavens opened - full gas blast down to Huddersfield was crazy and fantastic!

10271555_10204328965250806_5073738267603528350_n.jpg

10518319_10204328963130753_2578742889786602022_o.jpg

10454277_10204328973611015_480505343226371894_o.jpg

10448525_10204328975411060_2338612611537894850_o.jpg

10489637_10204328974731043_3179738537609564226_n.jpg
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    My wife enjoyed Tommy V's 'attack' :D

Had a great time in Yorkshire. Amazing that the weather cleared as it was Biblical rain on Friday and it rained literally all night before stage 1.

Did some scrawling on the road on Buttertubs ‘Claire (my wife) Loves Tommy Voeckler’ and ‘Paris >>> this way’ etc. Amazed when Jens came past on his own, criminal letting his wheel go. Shame about Cav obviously, as a few scraps with Kittel would have been good for flat stage interest.

Ok, not stage 2, but :

Jens_zps2590d10a.jpg
    Jens

cav_zpsc41abd1a.jpg
    Cav...

Camped at Usha Gap near Muker below Buttertubs, perfect location.

Then on to Cote de Blubberhouses yesterday, again big crowd and good atmosphere.
    Great finish yesterday too, that was a pretty select group by the end and glad that Nibali stayed clear as I feel sorry for him most of the time for some reason….

Feel like I’ve been on an annual trip to see the TdF abroad, whilst sat at my desk this morning :D
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    philbar72 wrote:
    Did anyone else think that when Voeckler attacked, no one was in the slightest bit bothered. He seems to me to be really not up to much. Think father time and injuries have taken the edge off him.

They are all getting old :(

I love TV Tommy though, he's awesome. I really enjoyed watching him attack the Tourmalet last year (or the year before if my memory fails me), reeling Dan Martin in.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    What a great weekend

Great weather, great crowds, great racing

Saturday watched a few km from Kilnsey which turned out to be ideal I wasn't aware of the Velofest until someone mentioned that it was a mile up the road so it meant we were able to watch on the giant screen after the riders had gone through.

Sunday watched on Oughtibridge so also another big screen.

Good to see so many kids on bikes everywhere. It's events like this that inspire the future champions

Coolest guy for me was Gendarme motorcyclist who must have ridden at last half a mile along a stretch of road no hands holding a Union flag above his head. Needless to say he got huge cheers

Comedy moments were the British police car that had the Allo Allo theme tune blaring out of it and the woman near me who managed to grab something thrown from the caravan and starting screaming in excitement. Someone asked her what she had got and she had to admit that she didn't know !

A bit toured out now so not going to bother with London today

Yes, the fans encroached but a) it's not every day the worlds biggest cycling event comes to town and b) this is far from a new phenomenon and it happens everywhere else so lets just keep a bit of perspective on this; after all I don't think anyone had any piss poured on them. Oh, and Nelissen / Jalabert 1994 anyone ? Which incidentally was caused by a policeman of all people !
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Pross and dsoutar, Outibridge looked like one of the best places to watch - nice and strung out then and race faces strapped.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    philbar72 wrote:

Yep, he caught Kadri who had been in the break all day and couldn't stay with him. He also persists in climbing in a stupidly high gear which really can't help.
  • Pross
    Pross and dsoutar, Outibridge looked like one of the best places to watch - nice and strung out then and race faces strapped.

Yep, was a good shout by FJS. Somehow missed Contador on my pictures though. Crowd was pretty good and marshalls did a good job of keeping them back (at least on the lower slopes).

Always a couple of knobs though - one woman climbed up a tree in private land and gave the owner a load of abuse when he asked to move, the crowd opposite managed to collapse a dry stone wall (luckily no-one was in front) and the fat t**t in the Sheffield Wednesday t-shirt opposite spent about an hour trampling and cutting down vegetation, dismantling the wall to build a platform and putting up his football club flag which had bunting trailing down at wheel level that he eventually tied up after numerous requests but considering there were thousands in my line of sight that's a tiny percentage.
  • Pross
    edited July 2014
    Edited because I'm stupid :oops:
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    you go back in time for that snap, Pross?
  • Pross
    B3rnieMac wrote:
    you go back in time for that snap, Pross?

:lol: just realised that, it somehow ended up in the middle of my pictures from yesterday - haven't got a clue where it came from! Thought it was a bit good :oops: