For those who foolishly believe money can't buy happiness.

VTech
VTech Posts: 4,736
edited June 2014 in The bottom bracket
Firstly, it's a light hearted post but on a serious note, check out a guy I've worked for.

Dan Bilzerian

Proof beyond any reasonable doubt that money buys happiness.
Living MY dream.

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Enlighten me as to how this chap proves that money does buy happiness?

Was he unhappy before he found wealth?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Money provides options, nothing more.

If you shallow enough to be happy with materialistic aspects then that's fair enough although there's a world of joy money can't buy. I would go so far to say that once you have acquired wealth you realise it doesn't bring you the things you thought it would and then makes you concentrate on the aspects that do bring happiness.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some people don't stop. They have it all, but want more. Drugs. Suicide, Seen it far too much.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    I'm quite poor in monetary terms, however my family keep me pretty damn happy and they were free. An hour spent rolling about on the floor with my grandson seems to be just about as good as things can get. No super car or mansion or exotic holiday will ever come close. :wink:

Would I like the chance to experience wealth? Of course I would!
    Would I trade my life now for it? Would I b****cks! :roll:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Dan Blizerian looks like a knob.
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Proof, where?
  • arran77
    Pituophis wrote:
    Would I like the chance to experience wealth? Of course I would!
    Would I trade my life now for it? Would I b****cks! :roll:

This is spot on Pituophis :D

This however :? Maybe it's just banter.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Two heart attacks by the age of 30 according to Wiki. Living the dream.
  • arran77
    johnfinch wrote:
    Two heart attacks by the age of 30 according to Wiki. Living the dream.

Live fast, die young :wink:

Think I'll stick with my slow paced life :lol:

seanoconn
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    arran77 wrote:

You mean mountain biking, right? :wink:
  • arran77
    johnfinch wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

You mean mountain biking, right? :wink:

I'm not fast on my road bike either :lol:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I thought it had been proved that people have their level of happiness and money didn't change that. Basically by looking at lottery winners before and after it showed that whilst there is a brief period of increased happiness immediately after the win people soon revert to their default setting.
    If you're a miserable git money just makes you a comfortable, but still miserable, git. I suspect if the guy mentioned didn't have so much money he would still be making the most of life and having a good time.
    I'm not rich, but I'm happy with my lot.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I thought it had been proved that people have their level of happiness and money didn't change that.

Does if you suddenly lose significant money/income. Hence significant recessions being referred as depressions. Genuinely get an uptick in clinical depression during depressions.
  • veronese68
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I thought it had been proved that people have their level of happiness and money didn't change that.

Does if you suddenly lose significant money/income. Hence significant recessions being referred as depressions. Genuinely get an uptick in clinical depression during depressions.
    True, I suppose that would send you into a downward spiral. You lose your job then you start to lose other things due to loss of income. I think the report I read was more on suddenly coming into money.
    Maybe it should be as long as you have enough money to live on the amount doesn't affect your happiness, just sounds a bit more clunky that way.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197

Yip, sure looks a k-nob. But assume he is happy in himself....
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    How many people's beliefs are you allowed to call foolish before you get banned?

A round number estimate will do :wink:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Money doesn't buy you happiness that much is true.....

But it does buy a superior type of misery!!
  • arran77
    team47b wrote:
    How many people's beliefs are you allowed to call foolish before you get banned?

One.

Can we ban Rick now please :wink:

seanoconn
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    team47b wrote:

Well this thread was just what this forum needed right now so I think you have to waive any such considerations.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399

Dont let anyone know but for once i agree with the Mod
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • veronese68
    team47b wrote:

I'm considered foolish for reasons many and varied. This just adds one to the list.
    But, I'm still happy.
  • nathancom
    imagejpg1_zps1ce75ce0.jpg
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Veronese68 wrote:

It does work both ways. So, for example, people who have a life changing negative change in circumstances (eg loss of limb etc) after a period of unhappiness do revert to their existing state. Apparently it takes about a year. The moral being - if you win the lottery, the money will buy you happiness but only for a year or so and, if something nasty happens to you, give it a year or so before you do anything drastic.

Obviously, there are limits. The presumption being that you are in a reasonably stable state before the change in circumstance.

But, basically, if you are a miserable, depressing git, then no amount of lottery winnings will ever change that. Which is a comforting thought! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    Some people bite very, very easilly.

Well played VTech.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    nathancom wrote:
    imagejpg1_zps1ce75ce0.jpg

TWO, actually, and counting....... :wink:
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • nathancom
    And a world cup! (allegedly)
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    VTech wrote:
    Firstly, it's a light hearted post but on a serious note, check out a guy I've worked for.

Dan Bilzerian

Why are you registered to this forum? ...I checked on your post history - and got bored at Page 15 (previous 300 posts) - and not one post you made had anything to do with cycling (well you did post a photo of some stupid penny farthing in one).

:roll:
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    VTech wrote:

Dan Bilzerian

Why are you registered to this forum? ...I checked on your post history - and got bored at Page 15 (previous 300 posts) - and not one post you made had anything to do with cycling (well you did post a photo of some stupid penny farthing in one).

Why are you bothered? It's BB - hardly 100% cycle-centric. How about live and let live?
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Why are you bothered? It's BB - hardly 100% cycle-centric. How about live and let live?

I'm not.... I couldn't care less, just seems a bit strange someone with such little interest in cycling regularly posts dribble on a cycling forum.
  • arran77
    Monkeypump wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Dan Bilzerian

Because when it comes to VTech, there are plenty round here who just can't let it go :lol:

seanoconn
This discussion has been closed.