Old 6 speed shifter

2»

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    macius4343 wrote:
    How can I measure if my frame would accept an 8 speed wheel ?

OLN = outer lock nut. Measure the distance between the outer lock nuts on the rear axle which is the same as the distance between the rear drop outs. It'll either be 126mm (up to 7 speed) or 130mm (8+ speed, CX and MTBs are 135mm).

If its a normal steel frame, you can stretch 126mm stays to accept a 130mm axle, or permanently cold set them, but then make sure the drops outs are still parallel - best done by a bike shop if you go this route.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • macius4343
    macius4343 Posts: 17
    Inside is 130mm outside is 143mm it looks like a normal steel frame!
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    So basically what you do is entirely decided by how much you wish to spend/consider the bike is worth!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • macius4343
    What 8 speed rear deraillure would be good for shimano st2300 8 speed
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    macius4343 wrote:
    What 8 speed rear deraillure would be good for shimano st2300 8 speed

The one you've already got on the bike.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • macius4343
    But ive got an old 6 speed tho!
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I think you are starting to lose us. Mechs are not generally x speed specific. They are not generally indexed. Perhaps you need to buy a complete bike?
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • macius4343
    Oh ok sorry for this but in the near future ill probably need one can it be any shimano 8 speed rear mech?
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Im not sure I understand whats going on but if your rear mech fell apart you can ge a new one:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... wwodqLMAig

I think it would still work with the 6 speed cassete from what meagain has said?

It does say:
    Compatible with 8, 9, and 10-speed drivetrains

But I assume also 5,6,7 drivetrains also?

EDIT: just re- read the first post I think you just need an 7 speed STI or replace with downtube shifters