Old 6 speed shifter

macius4343
macius4343 Posts: 17
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Bought an graham weigh road bike the rear shifter broke and fell apart from the brake its a six speed so it's really hard to find a shifter for a road bike what can I do??

Would a 7 speed freewheel fit on a 6 speed?

Need help quick!

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    From Sheldon Brown: "If your bike currently has a regular-spaced 6-speed freewheel, you can generally upgrade to 7-speed with little trouble. Since the sprockets are closer together on a 7-speed freewheel, the overall width is only very slightly wider than a regular-spaced 6-speed. You might need to add a thin washer to the right side of your axle to keep the chain from rubbing the frame in the highest gear."

I'm assuming you mean a screw on block/freewheel, not cassette.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Am I missing something or why don't you just fit a 7 speed shifter and adjust it so that the extra click is at the end of the cassette?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • meagain
    Spacing different on a 7 than a 6?
    d.j.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    meagain wrote:

No such thing as spacing on friction shift :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Matthewfalle
    Rolf F wrote:
    meagain wrote:

No such thing as spacing on friction shift :wink:

Now I'm discombobulated - has he got shifters (and they have fallen apart) or down tube friction shifters?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • meagain
    Well, yes, but I assumed from "the rear shifter broke and fell apart from the brake its a six speed" that the OP is not seeking a friction shifter.

Perhaps we don't know enough about what is wanted and to replace what?
    d.j.
  • Matthewfalle
    meagain wrote:
    Well, yes, but I assumed from "the rear shifter broke and fell apart from the brake its a six speed" that the OP is not seeking a friction shifter.

Perhaps we don't know enough about what is wanted and to replace what?

I'm completely with meagain on this - that is what I interpreted as well, I just got confuddled when Rolf chipped in (in the nicest possible way).

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm confused too - not heard of 6 or 7 speed STI levers.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • meagain
    7 yes - but I think you're right about 6! More confusion...
    d.j.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I suspect it's a downtube shifter in which case, a 7 speed freewheel should fit and in friction mode you should still get all your gears. Unless of course the OP has a 7 speed shifter and is counting his clicks?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • macius4343
    Its a build in a brake shifter not a friction or a downtube shifter

I thought it was a six because the freewheel has 6 rings but i have a feeling that it might of been swapped before sale :(

Need help to resolve this!
  • meagain
    OK, as per OP, it's some form of integrated brake lever and gear shifter! Any clue as to make/model? Presumably a 7 speed?
    d.j.
  • Matthewfalle
    If it's a 7 speed shifter then no problem - billions of them kicking around. eBay, Merlin, etc etc.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • macius4343
    All it says on the shifter brake is campagnolo. Rear derailur is ARIS RIVAL 7000 SACHS HURET. Front derailur is RIVAL 7000
    I took some photos I'll post them ASAP.
  • macius4343
    Here i attach some of the photos i took.
  • Monty Dog
    Mk1 Campagnolo Ergo levers. These were also sold under the Sachs brand - hence Rival mechs. From memory, but I'm not sure they ever did 7 speed Ergos - they were all 8 speed.
  • macius4343
    How can I find out how many gears it's go then? I'm literally going mad now
  • Monty Dog
    Bike looks a bit of a basket case - caveat emptor. If you want 7-speed shifters, look for some Shimano RX100 STis on ebay. Alternatively, if cash is tight, fit downtube levers and regular brake levers.
  • macius4343
    Well what should I do? How can I find out how many gears I have?
  • meagain
    You'll have as many as cogs you choose (to the extent that the hub will accept that number) to put on the back wheel and have a shifter that will operate a rear mech across that number! You know the hub will take 6 (which means it will almost certainly take 7). Same holds for the rear mech. You need a shifter that will "match". As above, easiest/cheapest is a down tube lever that will work on friction - then any lever will work any number of rear cogs.
    d.j.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Take it to your Local Bike Shop for a quick conversation on your options.
  • drlodge
    Assuming the rear deraileur is the same cable pull ratio as a Shimano, if you have 7 sprockets on the back you can use a Sora 8 speed or Campagnolo 10 speed (Shimergo style ) brifter since the spacing of 7 and 8 is only 0.2mm difference.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • macius4343
    Today in the morning went to the bike shop and they said straight away need a new shifter which I knew they said keep the same freewheel but put on 8 speed shimano shifter and an 8 speed rear deraillure and they will lock out the 2 last gears. Are they correct?
  • drlodge
    Shimano spacings are:
    6 speed: 5.5mm
    7 speed: 5mm
    8 speed 4.8mm

So if you're using 8 speed shifters on a 6 speed cassette, its really not going to work. Even if you are central in the middle of the cassette, the outer gear which is 3 shifts away will be 2.1mm out of line or half a sprocket width . If you can fit a 7 speed cassette then its a different matter entirely.
    Find me on Strava
  • meagain
    "8 speed rear deraillure" Eh? Very few rear mechs are indexed and great majority are therefore not x speed specific.

That plus saying 8 work fine with 6 only goes to show best to avoid most bike shops!
    d.j.
  • macius4343
    Guys I'm lost now I need someone to just tell me what I can do? All thanks will be given
  • meagain
    If brake lever still works, just clamp on a d/t shifter and run the 6 speed block with existing rear mech.

Cheap as chips e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Gen ... 1e8d309156

Can't think what more we can tell you.
    d.j.
  • macius4343
    Yep that's the way, but if you want to keep the brake shifter together I'll probably need new 8 speed shifter 8 speed deraillure and 8 speed wheel ??
  • drlodge
    macius4343 wrote:
    Yep that's the way, but if you want to keep the brake shifter together I'll probably need new 8 speed shifter 8 speed deraillure and 8 speed wheel ??

Yes, but if you have a 126mm OLN axle then you won't fit an 8 speed wheel in there, only 7 speed. Unless of course you open the stays to accomodate a 130mm OLN axle.

8 speed indexed shifters will work with either 7 or 8 speed, but not 6.
    Find me on Strava
  • macius4343
    How can I measure if my frame would accept an 8 speed wheel ?