WADA investigates Froome TUE - Not!

2»

Comments

• VO2min
    VO2min Posts: 28
    While it looks like the TUE was legit, is it wrong to suggest that if you need a TUE then you shouldn't be participating in a major stage race? I've absolutely no problem with him taking the medicine, continuing to race afterwards is a different matter, cycling needs to both get and look clean.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    VO2min wrote:
    While it looks like the TUE was legit, is it wrong to suggest that if you need a TUE then you shouldn't be participating in a major stage race? I've absolutely no problem with him taking the medicine, continuing to race afterwards is a different matter, cycling needs to both get and look clean.

Except that if the same situation has occurred at any other team in the world except Sky it wouldn't even have made it into the paper. Becasue it's Sky it's front page news. No other reason
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    ddraver wrote:
    VO2min wrote:

Except that if the same situation has occurred at any other team in the world except Sky it wouldn't even have made it into the paper. Becasue it's Sky it's front page news. No other reason

Agree with ddraver. How many TUEs are issued and how many riders go on to race? A few, tens, hundreds? How many day to day drugs do you need a TUE for? How many riders have a permanent TUE for a chronic condition?

Without considering how many people would have to withdraw from races if they have a TUE, I don't think anyone can say that riders shouldn't be allowed to race.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    VO2min wrote:

Right up until replying to this I agreed, but have suddenly realised that the side effect might be people who need treatment choosing not to because it would mean leaving a race - so just like now they'd be risking their recovery by continuing to race, and not even treating the symptoms whilst doing so. That strikes me as suboptimal. I wish the UCI would make that point rather than letting it fester though.

As for Froome, you can only operate within the rules as they exist at the moment. If they allow him a TUE and to keep riding, he's entitled to do so.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    VO2min wrote:

Right up until replying to this I agreed, but have suddenly realised that the side effect might be people who need treatment choosing not to because it would mean leaving a race - so just like now they'd be risking their recovery by continuing to race, and not even treating the symptoms whilst doing so. That strikes me as suboptimal. I wish the UCI would make that point rather than letting it fester though.

As for Froome, you can only operate within the rules as they exist at the moment. If they allow him a TUE and to keep riding, he's entitled to do so.

Good point. It's one thing for a rider like Froome to pull out through illness, it's quite another to expect a domestique who's fighting for his career to fess up to an ailment that would force him out of a race.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ddraver wrote:
    VO2min wrote:

But it's still a perfectly valid issue. Pro sport has different risks and rewards in all sorts of ways. I'm fine with medical advice that says rest is ideal, but here's the risk that the condition gets worse, leaving it to the professionals.

I don't know how to judge any performance enhancement if the condition is serious enough for steroids.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ddraver wrote:
    Reading this I think the Madness has spread out of just Pro-Cycling for Kimbo - http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/tra ... 49517.html

Fondle?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Brian Cookson OBE ‏@BrianCooksonUCI 1h
    But smears and innuendoes are one thing, and facts are another. UCI and I will be commenting more on this matter over the next few days.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    ddraver wrote:
    Reading this I think the Madness has spread out of just Pro-Cycling for Kimbo - http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/tra ... 49517.html

Fondle?

What the fondle? :? :D
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • above_the_cows
    ddraver wrote:

Fondle?

What the fondle? :? :D

Ah for fondle's sake man! :D
  • ddraver
    Fondle off the pair of you. This adds Sweet Fondle All to the discussion ;)
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Who says fondle at any time? Doesn't it mean basically the same thing as grope?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    How dare you

Dirty Fondler
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:

I like the word fondle. It feels nice in the mouth (no sniggering at the back). It's like forage, foliage and fecund.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    RichN95 wrote:

I've always thought of fondling as a bit more consensual than groping.

Can't say the restraining orders were written any differently though.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    RichN95 wrote:

I like the word fondle. It feels nice in the mouth (no sniggering at the back). It's like forage, foliage and fecund.

For some nice allitteration it can be combined with fulsome.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:

For some nice allitteration it can be combined with fulsome.

Fulsome another good one. Not to be confused however with Folsom.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960

I'd say there'd be a fair amount of fondling in Folsom.
  • above_the_cows
    Pokerface wrote:

I think you might be right there.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Pokerface wrote:

Fondling fulsome fillies in Folsom?
  • ddraver
    WADA have cleared UCI of any wrongdoing - which is no surprise whatsoever.

I'm waiting for a decent source to post a link to though...
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    Pokerface wrote:

Not sure there are many fillies to fondle in Folsom, fulsome or otherwise.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    ddraver wrote:
    WADA have cleared UCI of any wrongdoing - which is no surprise whatsoever.

I'm waiting for a decent source to post a link to though...

Shane Stokes has tweeted it....oh...
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Pokerface wrote:

Good point. Can I try again in Farnborough?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Pokerface wrote:

Try putting 'Folsom' into google images. Not while anyone else is in the room.
    [found this during AToC while thinking about song links, honest]
  • above_the_cows
    Pokerface wrote:

Good point. Can I try again in Farnborough?

As someone who knows north Hampshire well, I think you might have more luck there.
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Try putting 'Folsom' into google images. Not while anyone else is in the room.
    [found this during AToC while thinking about song links, honest]

This is very sound advice. MY EYES. There are some things you cannot unsee.