WADA investigates Froome TUE - Not!

Comments

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    and here http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report- ... e-romandie

So as I read it, Froome actually hasn't done anything wrong it's that the procedure wasn't followed for the exemption to be granted. I suppose Sky asked for it to be done quickly, but that doesn't mean the chap at the UCI shouldn't follow the rules.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    So WADA should be investigating this Dr Mario Zorzoli not Froome. Not that this will stop people making of his what they will.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    So was this wrong because he shouldn't have been allowed to take it? Or because he shouldn't have been allowed to take it as soon as he did?

I assume the request was a valid one and it's just that the correct proceed wasn't followed on the UCI's end.

Although - if this was 'fast-tracked', then SKY should have known how long it would take and either requested it earlier or known that the reply shouldn't have come back as quickly as it (evidently) did.
  • jamie1012
    jamie1012 Posts: 171
    Is it common to take corticosteroids for a cold?

I ask because he pulled out of Liege-Bastogne-Liege with a chest infection and, according to cyclingnews, was not prescribed any corticosteroids at that time by his personal doctor.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report- ... e-romandie
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    It's no use running a pro road team on Olympic cycles. Brailsford needs to go back to the track and replace himself with someone who knows the road. His prime asset rolls round Switzerland with his middle digit raised to the sport. His physiology genius coverts top pros into swimmers (Froome excepted). And now they're making a mess of TUEs.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Macaloon wrote:
    It's no use running a pro road team on Olympic cycles. Brailsford needs to go back to the track and replace himself with someone who knows the road. His prime asset rolls round Switzerland with his middle digit raised to the sport. His physiology genius coverts top pros into swimmers (Froome excepted). And now they're making a mess of TUEs.

But how has Sky made a mess of this TUE. Froome had a chest infection that wasn't clearing up, he was due to ride Romandie, so Sky asked the UCI for a TUE and said it would be fab if it could be confirmed by the start of the race. I hardly see what's wrong with any of that, why is asking if it's possible wrong? The UCI possibly not following procedure is where any cock up happened.

I see Velocast has clamoured up on to his high horse as fast as he could. And once again has had to slide back down. He does love a possible scandal does that man and does as much as the 'onaniastic orgy of journalists' to spread innuendo, rumour and misinformation before actually stopping to think about things.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    jamie1012 wrote:
    No, not a good idea because corticosteroids are immunosuppressive.

I'm wondering if it connected with inhalergate. If his lungs are inflamed because of infection this can precipitate asthma (because the lungs are inflamed). It's possible that a short-term prednisilone course is directed against this (likely more effective than inhaled).

As I've argued before, corticosteroids aren't performance enhancing anyway.
    Edit - but this isn't a reason not to abide by the rules.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    jamie1012 wrote:
    No, not a good idea because corticosteroids are immunosuppressive.

I'm wondering if it connected with inhalergate. If his lungs are inflamed because of infection this can precipitate asthma (because the lungs are inflamed). It's possible that a short-term prednisilone course is directed against this (likely more effective than inhaled).

As I've argued before, corticosteroids aren't performance enhancing anyway.
    Edit - but this isn't a reason not to abide by the rules.

I'm given steroids of some sort for chest infections every couple of years. What type of steroid are they likely to be?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Steroids don't treat infections, as I say above they immunosuppress. Taking them while still infected is probably a bad idea. What they can do is resolve the inflammation, which can linger long after the infection (virus, bacteria) has been eliminated by your immune system. Put simply, your immune system can cause collateral damage (inflammation) to your own body while fighting infection. Inflammation in the airways will worsen asthma.

Moving slightly further off topic, several clinical trials in COPD (bronchitis/emphysema) have demonstrated that inhaled steroids have only a small benefit as regular treatement, although in the absence of effective treatments are widely prescribed. iv/oral steroids do have a benefit in patients hospitalised for acute exacerbations in this disease, because they speed resolution of inflammation.
  • above_the_cows
    So according to inrng it looks like one person from the medical panel can in fact grant a TUE. The question is thus whether or not Dr Zorzoli is one of those people. This really may be a total non-story, the taking of steroids at all aside.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Now that the dust has settled and some sensible people have had a look at it, it appears that everyone has acted exactly how they should have done.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    FROOME/SKY FOLLOW RULES
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    If you want to see why TUE's for oral steroids for this:
    http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/Scien ... 3.0_EN.pdf
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • above_the_cows
    BUT BUT DOPING! DOPING! SKY. UCI. UCI. SKY. SKY. DOPING SKY! BLEUUUUURRRRGGGGH
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    Not mincing words there.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810

What a dumb press release, they have a body which is specifically investigating complicity of themselves in doping, so no asking questions about similar complicity is hardly "unfounded"...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • RichN95.
    jibberjim wrote:

What a dumb press release, they have a body which is specifically investigating complicity of themselves in doping, so no asking questions about similar complicity is hardly "unfounded"...
    But the problem is nobody did ask questions. Had they done so they would have found out that everything had been done by the book. Instead they just went ahead with a misleading sensationalist story.
  • Macaloon
    Nice sting in the tail for any mutant-spotters inclined to go after a Cookson's son on Twitter etc.
    Insinuating that Brian Cookson’s son’s employment with Team Sky could have something to do with the decision to grant the TUE is an unfounded allegation which will be dealt with seriously.

Like I said. Nothing to see here. :oops:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Whatever way you look at this it is bad. That Froome is racing on corts is not acceptable and performance enhancing, Sky thinking they can fast track stuff, UCI dr messing things up, and UCI boss' son working for Sky (I dont care what capacity, I have said and will continue to say it in unacceptable).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Ps. there are a ton of people who have been done in some way related to Corts. Lance, Bernaudeau and Schumacher to name three.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    “At the time I was coming back from a training camp at altitude and I was supposed to participate in Liège-Bastogne-Liège but I was coughing too much and the morning of the race the doctor told me that I had to pull out if I wanted to go to the Tour de Romandie and that I needed to rest for two days,” Froome said, according to L’Équipe.

“I gave everything I had in the Romandie prologue but I was coughing so much that we decided to ask for a TUE that evening. It was just an oral [corticosteroid], there was no injection.”

Froome rejected the idea that he had received favourable treatment from Zorzoli and the UCI during the TUE application process. He also defended the decision to continue in the race with the aid of prednisone rather than pull out and treat his ailment with rest. Froome went on to win the Tour de Romandie.

“We went through the legitimate process and the UCI has confirmed that today. It’s a pity that everything is perceived in a negative light,” he said. “Therapeutic use exemptions have their place in sport. They exist for a reason.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    Whatever way you look at this it is bad. That Froome is racing on corts is not acceptable and performance enhancing,
    WADA seem to think it's OK - and they're the experts, not us.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    RichN95 wrote:
    jibberjim wrote:

But the problem is nobody did ask questions. Had they done so they would have found out that everything had been done by the book. Instead they just went ahead with a misleading sensationalist story.

l'equipe, reporting sensationalist stories on cyclists and cycling?

No. F*cking. Way.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    Whatever way you look at this it is bad. That Froome is racing on corts is not acceptable and performance enhancing,

Yeah, but Kimbo isn't satisfied! He demands to know the truth. He'll know when it's the truth because it will match whatever he already thinks.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Yeah, but Kimbo isn't satisfied! He demands to know the truth. He'll know when it's the truth because it will match whatever he already thinks.
    Kimmage: "UCI, I demand answers"
    UCI: "Here are the answers"
    Kimmage: "I demand different answers"
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    Kimmage: "UCI, I demand answers"
    UCI: "Here are the answers"
    Kimmage: "I demand different answers"

If Cookson engages the lawyers on this one, I might need to buy some Tena for men pretty sharpish
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Reading this I think the Madness has spread out of just Pro-Cycling for Kimbo - http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/tra ... 49517.html
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Macaloon
    ddraver wrote:
    Reading this I think the Madness has spread out of just Pro-Cycling for Kimbo - http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/tra ... 49517.html
    Paul Kimmage travelled courtesy of the Spanish Tourist Board and the Majorca Tourist Board.

His accommodation was at the Hotel Iberostar in Albufera.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    [subject title amended..]