World Cup

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
I know this is a cycling forum and this sub-forum is non-competative (its not a race etc) but I can't believe there is no World Cup thread, so I thought I'd start one.

Surprise results so far:
Spain Vs The Netherlands 1-5. Who saw that coming? A proper spanking.
Uraguay Vs Costa Rica 1-3. Another shocker.

The England game starts in less than an hour and I'm toying with the idea of putting my Team GB top on as I don't own an England football top.
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Well, that was unsatisfactory.

Rooney's corner showed why he is worth the big money though. Not. FFS. Row 33 of the stand is NOT the 6 yard box. It's not that difficult to grasp, is it?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Well, that was unsatisfactory.

Rooney's corner showed why he is worth the big money though. Not. FFS. Row 33 of the stand is NOT the 6 yard box. It's not that difficult to grasp, is it?

At least all this shite will be over soon :D
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    arran77 wrote:
    At least all this shite will be over soon :D
    Couldn't agree more. If the matches were in the daytime at least we could enjoy quiet roads.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Lordy - I was enjoying the free beer and food being dished out by the bars after NL's drubbing of Spain though! Made a bit of a dent in my Saturday riding plans however. Long may NL do well in the tournament 8)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Lets have none of this high def colour nonsense. Men were men and proud to play in fuzzy black and white for sixpence a year back in 66. God bless Sir Bobby...
  • arran77
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Lets have none of this high def colour nonsense. Men were men and proud to play in fuzzy black and white for sixpence a year back in 66. God bless Sir Bobby...

'When I were a lad' hey Mikey :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Given some of the driving I've seen this week, happy to dig these up from the last soccer comp:
    10367149_10152125157250079_7285419969334613726_n.jpg

BqL2dZUCIAAb2Gn.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    Been a bloody good World Cup so far. Barely a single shite match.

First time in a while I've been emotionally involved in an England match too.

Anyway, I heard the Dutch changed their twitter logo a couple nights ago.

BqGqLlwIYAIOEde.jpg
  • EKE_38BPM
    Brazil - Mexico 0-0?!?
    Shouldn't be allowed!

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Brazil - Mexico 0-0?!?
    Shouldn't be allowed!
    Mexico made it happen. Brazil allowed it to happen.
    Fred is obviously not of the required quality and should be relegated to a squad player.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Last night was more borezil rather than brazil. If only Mexico could shoot from inside the box the posibilities would be endless!
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    This year has been a hundred times better than 2010. All those low scoring games accompanied by that awful vuvuzela drone in the background.

Two good games tonight.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nice to see the SocceRoos scare the Dutch, they could even beat Spain on current form!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    The Rookie wrote:
    Nice to see the SocceRoos scare the Dutch, they could even beat Spain on current form!

They might have, 'til Cahill got his second yellow and is missing the game. Silly rule.
    Shame, as his goal was a cracker!
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    What. A load. Of Utter. Shite.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rick_chasey
    gutting.
  • arran77
    I don't understand why anyone in this country gets excited about the World Cup :lol:

seanoconn
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    arran77 wrote:
    I don't understand why anyone in this country gets excited about the World Cup :lol:

To be honest, I don't. The only time I take even a passing interest in football is for the big international tournaments. But it is appallng to see how pitiful the basic skill levels are amongst such highly paid professional sportsmen.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • arran77
    arran77 wrote:

To be honest, I don't. The only time I take even a passing interest in football is for the big international tournaments. But it is appallng to see how pitiful the basic skill levels are amongst such highly paid professional sportsmen.

I don't even care for the big tournaments.

Totally agree that it's pitiful, these people are supposed to be the best of the best and they certainly get paid as if they were :shock:

seanoconn
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I agree with the commentator when he said the two teams were pretty much even..apart from Luis Suarez

One can be as miserable and snarky at football as you like but there are few things like it for sporting drama. Have to say that even as a Pro Race regular, cycling doesnt come close!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thread now official sealed, not to be reopened until 2018!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    TdF starts soon, lads.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ddraver wrote:
    I agree with the commentator when he said the two teams were pretty much even..apart from Luis Suarez

One can be as miserable and snarky at football as you like but there are few things like it for sporting drama. Have to say that even as a Pro Race regular, cycling doesnt come close!

Last night was not dramatic. More just turgid and ugly to watch.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    It's not over yet. If Italy wins all their games to end up on 9 then England beating Costa Rica by a decent margin would do it. Coleen Rooney still has a few more days of being splashed across the tabloids. Hope she's packed enough bikinis. She will have to pull out all the stops to get England out of the jam they are in....

Also I think the lack of England flags on chav cars has definitely damaged the confidence of the players.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    Absolutely loved it so far - even the dull matches are streets ahead of 2010

Even though I'm English and love football I've never really warmed to the national team and tend to chuckle when they get knocked out. I also feel the same about the rugby team, but not cricket - so go figure

I'm not sure why - I'm not really keen on overt displays of nationalism. "C'mon England" is normally followed by "Cheating Eyeties" or some such nonsense. And when we do get beaten the tribalism returns and everyone blames the players from the clubs they dislike most - I've already had texts about scousers letting the country down.

Anyway, now England are nearly out I can enjoy the football in pubs and the casual football fan won't be bothering me with their inane tabloid inspired drivel
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    They think it's all over ... it is now!

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rick_chasey
    WarrenG wrote:
    Absolutely loved it so far - even the dull matches are streets ahead of 2010

Even though I'm English and love football I've never really warmed to the national team and tend to chuckle when they get knocked out. I also feel the same about the rugby team, but not cricket - so go figure

I'm not sure why - I'm not really keen on overt displays of nationalism. "C'mon England" is normally followed by "Cheating Eyeties" or some such nonsense. And when we do get beaten the tribalism returns and everyone blames the players from the clubs they dislike most - I've already had texts about scousers letting the country down.

Anyway, now England are nearly out I can enjoy the football in pubs and the casual football fan won't be bothering me with their inane tabloid inspired drivel

Getting behind a team and getting emotionally involved is good fun (honest). When everyone else is too, it's even more fun. Even if I am dropping c bombs every 3rd minute and shouting at the TV like an angry bald man with a napoleon complex.

Doesn't need to be nationalist or jingoist.

I feel it a lot more on the Dutch side, but then my grandfather played for the Dutch team, that side of the family takes it a bit more seriously, as you might expect ;).
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Greece v Costa Rica. Not the greatest of matches...

However, end of normal time and both sides are knackered and cramping. But as far as I can tell, the refreshments are water and powerade. Wtf? Has no one told them about electrolytes, nutrition, caffeine, carbohydrates, gels, food?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • EKE_38BPM

However, end of normal time and both sides are knackered and cramping. But as far as I can tell, the refreshments are water and powerade. Wtf? Has no one told them about electrolytes, nutrition, caffeine, carbohydrates, gels, food?
    I guess no-one has. Football isn't an endurance sport like cycling so I guess the knowledge from one isn't common knowledge in the other.

Also, sponsorship. "Ahh, you want food for your players? Will they want fries with their Big Macs?"

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I guess no-one has. Football isn't an endurance sport like cycling so I guess the knowledge from one isn't common knowledge in the other. "

...but the doping programs in football are [probably] leagues ahead of cycling!

Now riddle me this. Is it wrong if I orange up and go to a Dutch pub with some dutch mates on Saturday?
    Always had a soft spot for the team, fancy a party and wasn't in slightest bit bothered about the England team.