Help required - Total NOOB!

Tavish11
Tavish11 Posts: 18
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
I plan to buy my first MTB over the weekend (Rockrider 8.1) & wondered what essentials I should buy.

I'm assuming the obvious such as Helmet, Gloves, Pump, Puncture Kit & Multi-Tool but is there anything else that is required for someone that is new to the world of MTB'ing.

I would be grateful if people could help me out & point me in the right direction.

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    You've named the essentials there. A pair of padded liner shorts or some bib shorts (you can wear them under your normal clothes) are a good idea tool. Bottle and cage or hydration pack are a great idea too. For shorts and hydration packs Decathlon are good,
  • Tavish11
    Thanks mcnultycop. Can you recommend any Helmets that I can consider buying.
  • mcnultycop
    One that fits. You don't have to spend loads. I wear the £20 On one MTB helmet.
  • I would suggest buying a couple of inner tubes rather than relying on a repair kit.
    It's quicker just to replace the inner tube and then fix the punctured tube at your leisure.
    (Plus, there is always a chance that you will get a puncture next to the valve, meaning that you will never get it fixed with a repair kit.)

Remember the tyre levers too - you may get some in the repair kit. No point in carrying all that stuff around if you can't get the tyres off!
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Chain lube.

As I may have mentioned once or twice before, I use Squirt.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    not essential, but maybe a camel back to carry all the stuff around in?

*I should read every post in a thread first :oops:
  • Tavish11
    Thanks for the help people. I'm sure my Mrs will be thrilled with my growing list :lol:

Can anyone recommend a good pair of shoes that I can get? (not ridiculously expensive)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On flat pedals, just start with decent trainers with a stiff(ish) sole and you'll be fine for a while.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Tavish11
    The Rookie are these worth getting for the £'s

http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-to ... e=14401890

or something more like this

http://www.sportsdirect.com/airwalk-bro ... e=24218526
  • The Rookie
    The muddyfox are designed for use with clipless cleats, not flat pedals.....

Airwalks or Vans both work quite well as cycling shoes. I use some stiff soled Sketchers when I use (rarely) flat pedals.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    mcnultycop wrote:
    One that fits. You don't have to spend loads. I wear the £20 On one MTB helmet.

Good helmet, not the lightest, not the most coverage, but does it job- meets the CE standards. Had a really nasty off the other day (28mph, landed on a stray brick), broke the helmet along three crossmembers and I was absolutely fine - barely even a headache to speak of.

2014_06_05_15_34_55.jpg
  • Tavish11
    The Rookie wrote:
    On flat pedals, just start with decent trainers with a stiff(ish) sole and you'll be fine for a while.

Can you recommend any flat pedals as the Rockrider 8.1 comes with clipless. These tend to be a front runner with a lot of people.

http://www.highonbikes.com/wellgo-mg1-m ... tAod1EsAGw
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Those are pretty much the best for the money imo - especially at that price.
  • cooldad
    What I use ^^^^^^^^^^^

So no argument.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Must be true then! LOL
  • mcnultycop
    I think Decathlon will stick flats on for you; I think someone who got one on here said that. I think.
  • Tavish11
    Looks like they will be added to the list then.

Since I'm awake at this crazy time watching the World Cup I have decided to have a look at mudguards & have come across these.

https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/

Anyone know if they are any good?
  • The Rookie
    Look like they will just fill with mud and clog.....
  • Tavish11
    Any suggestions The Rookie
  • cooldad
    Mucky Nutz stuff - cheap and works. If you must have mudguards.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Water bottle or hydration pack is missing from your list. I prefer a hydration pack (Camelbak Mule) because I can carry other crap in it as well.
  • Tavish11
    cooldad I will have a look at them thanks.

RockmonkeySC I was thinking about getting a hydration pack because I'm assuming there good for carrying spare tubes, tools etc in.
  • Tavish11
    Gutted that I couldn't get my bike today, apparently there is going to be no M size for 3-4 weeks :(
  • The Rookie
    The tesco direct hydration pack is excellent value, just enough room for essentials in the extra compartments.
  • cooldad
    None of those actually come with a bladder, they just have a hole for the hose.

Try this

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-hydra ... d=215-1572
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Tavish11
    Thanks cooldad I will get that during the week. Just got to wait for my bike to come in stock now.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Re Mudhuggers - they don't just clog with mud. People shoot sometimes from the hip with advice on here. They work well and have several magazine reviews agreeing with this.

They are pretty much the best mudguards you can get (rear at least) for comprehensive protection. Whether this is something your after (some people feel more manly riding without guards) or the aesthetics are to your taste is obviously personal choice. But if you want the best mud guards, these are them.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    chrisw333 wrote:
    some people feel more manly riding without guards
    There are few things in the MTB world more manly than a wet bottom...
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp