Kingston Road Rage incident

13»

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    This is really getting to me now.....

Can someone please correct the spelling of "Kingston" in the thread title please? ;-)
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    My bad. You can update the subject in a reply but not sure if it changes the main one. Where are the mods?
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    RedWheels - we are very much in agreement here regarding the severity of this Kingston lady's crime, and the potential consequences it could have had. I 100% think she should be heavily punished as it's just not acceptable.

I'm also not disagreeing at all that the UK system is flawed. It is, however, warts and all, one of the better judicial systems in the world in my opinion.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    BigLights wrote:
    RedWheels - we are very much in agreement here regarding the severity of this Kingston lady's crime, and the potential consequences it could have had. I 100% think she should be heavily punished as it's just not acceptable.

I'm also not disagreeing at all that the UK system is flawed. It is, however, warts and all, one of the better judicial systems in the world in my opinion.

The thing is though - we generally don't punish on what-if's or potential consequences - just actuals. So (assuming) the guy wasn't (seriously) hurt - I wouldn't think CPS could get an ABH charge through.
    In order to get attempted murder through the CPS would need to have evidence that she intended to kill the cyclist rather than just hurt him. We might say that it's obvious as she deliberately drove at him with her car - but it could be argued that she was only intending to hurt him (for whatever reason they make up).
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    BigLights wrote:
    Davmaggs - I think you mentioned America, no?

You are being disingenuous in order to go on some anti-America rant.

I stated that America has extremely harsh and punitive sentences for those that screw-up repeatedly, and despite this threat some people still end up unable to control themselves. It was about threats or incentives not always working, and clearly not a critique (for or against) of their legal system.