Kingston Road Rage incident

kurako
kurako Posts: 1,098
edited June 2014 in Commuting chat
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/mo ... 11055.html

Not sure what to say to this. If you're on a bike probably best not to get into arguments with nutters in metal boxes. Will be interesting to see what punishment comes the way of the driver. Seems quite an easy one to worm out of... 'Oh I panicked and hit the accelerator not the brake'.... Slap on the wrist if that.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    She was driving a Q7.
    Someone was in her way.
    Rage was inevitable.

It really should be made clear at the point of sale that buying an expensive car does not mean that you own the road.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    That's scary, not far at all from my place. Those things are completely inappropriate for London roads, they are far too big and most of the drivers seem incapable of judging the size of them. The newer and more expensive the car the more the driver seems to have a sense of entitlement. Why can they not take a licence away permanently from someone like that? She has clearly shown she is not stable enough to be driving.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    For the internet retribution mob, conveniently close to the chap from last week in Barnfield Avenue who had a set-to in the Park.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    I'm just glad he's not seriously hurt, using a powerful engine to propel 2 tonnes of metal at someone is attempted murder, not assault!

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Veronese68 wrote:
    That's scary, not far at all from my place. Those things are completely inappropriate for London roads, they are far too big and most of the drivers seem incapable of judging the size of them. The newer and more expensive the car the more the driver seems to have a sense of entitlement. Why can they not take a licence away permanently from someone like that? She has clearly shown she is not stable enough to be driving.

The road narrows there, too - always something to watch when turning right onto New Road from Park Road.

Go past this every morning. When I saw it yesterday, my first thought was "How the actual f*ck did you manage to do that?"
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Mentalists. They are everywhere. Why would you take risks with your kids in the car?

The complete disregard for anyone else seems psychotic to me.

Here's some psycho driving from last Friday's commute:

http://youtu.be/IgZFlCozxSA
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    I don't know. Attempted GBH is the same as GBH, as I understand it. Which is a 1-5 year custodial sentence. If this person has no previous, and pulls all the 'I was scared' nonsense, probably suspended but still really quite a significant charge.

I'll ask a relative of mine who is a magistrate, see what she thinks. Despite the press stories, there is some justice out there....aforementioned relative has been known to 'throw the book' at people like this who have no regard for broader society.
  • veronese68
    BigLights wrote:
    I don't know. Attempted GBH is the same as GBH, as I understand it. Which is a 1-5 year custodial sentence. If this person has no previous, and pulls all the 'I was scared' nonsense, probably suspended but still really quite a significant charge.

I'll ask a relative of mine who is a magistrate, see what she thinks. Despite the press stories, there is some justice out there....aforementioned relative has been known to 'throw the book' at people like this who have no regard for broader society.
    That is the root cause of so many wrongs.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    5 children in the car? Assuming they weren't all hers, she'll be having an interesting chat with the other parents
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    Indeed it is, Veronese. There are some vigilantes out there though. Only yesterday, my wife (a very, very formidable lady) took on a bunch of plebes in the park who had left a load of litter in the children's play area. Your classic horrifically obese, fag smoking horror of a mum (not my missus, to be clear) accompanied by a pack of ferile children. It was only a partial win, sadly, as my missus is heavily pregnant, but still got some litter picked up.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    The standard also mentioned the cyclist was autistic which makes matters slightly worse I suppose (though she wouldn't have known that of course).

Didn't realise she had 5 kids in the car while she attempted to murder someone...they really, really need to throw the book at her...but we all know she'll get off
  • veronese68
    Fine example to set to the children. Mind you, some of the most colourful language I've ever heard was two women screaming at each other as they'd both driven into a narrow gap not giving way to the other travelling in the opposite direction. I was on foot, as I got closer I realised they each had a toddler in the car and the air was blue with the abuse. I considered commenting on what kind of example they were setting, but they looked a bit scary to put it mildly so I carried on.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    If you can't manage to restrain your anger to avoid the temptation (!) to drive into someone when you have a car full of children then you are so far from being psychologically fit to hold a driving license that a permanent driving ban should be a formality.

She'll just get a fine though - after all how else would those children get to school (I mean apart from being in a city covered by a huge public transport system) other than by Q7?
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    guinea wrote:
    Mentalists. They are everywhere. Why would you take risks with your kids in the car?

The complete disregard for anyone else seems psychotic to me.

Here's some psycho driving from last Friday's commute:

http://youtu.be/IgZFlCozxSA

lost for words on that one :shock:
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    What frightens me most about this story is that the woman is unlikely to be some slavering psychopath. Rather she is probably a perfectly sane individual being driven a little mad by a car full of demanding kids and life's other challenges who flipped due to some inconsequential slight by the cyclist. I'd be much more comfortable with a story like this if the driver turned out to be an escapee from a psychiatric unit instead of a stressed-out mum on the school run.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    Witnesses said she had five children in the car at the time of the crash.
    Nice.
    She drives a very fancy car. I think that is what saved her children's' lives
    But a rather simpler solution would have been to not drive over a cyclist, into a van and through a shop front.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I like the suggestion in the comments section that the news article could have been titled or included the phrase "hair salon in collision with car".
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Paulie W wrote:
    ... unlikely to be some slavering psychopath ... sane individual being driven a little mad by i]add stressful situation to taste[/i ... who flipped ...
    I think this applies to quite a lot of crimes, even murder. Formerly ordinary people who lose it in a fit of rage. In this case it seems she lost it, had access to a weapon, and used it. I wonder if her nice middle-class-ness will be enough to get her off.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It does appear the cyclist kicked her car, now while in no way excusing what looks like a fairly determined effort at killing him, it certainly emphasises that there are some times when 'letting it go' are better than escalating the situation!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Veronese68 wrote:
    BigLights wrote:

That is the root cause of so many wrongs.

As others have said, the fact that she had 5 children in the car just makes things worse, what on earth is that teaching them? :roll:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    I'm pretty certain there are lots of drivers around who are just one kick away from a GBH charge: "You touch my car, I smash your face".
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    rower63 wrote:
    I'm pretty certain there are lots of drivers around who are just one kick away from a GBH charge: "You touch my car, I smash your face".
    car-fingers2_560x315.jpg
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    rower63 wrote:
    A few people like that with their bikes too!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    I wonder if her reaction was prompted by the reports of the chap in RP getting off scot free and only getting punished for leaving the scene? by parking in the hair salon she should avoid all punishment.

That is nearly a straight road and how you could get across 6 foot of pavement into a shop is beyond belief... for that alone she should get a life ban from driving
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    ... for that alone she should get a life ban from driving

Don't be silly.

No one gets a life ban from driving!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    The Rookie wrote:
    It does appear the cyclist kicked her car, now while in no way excusing what looks like a fairly determined effort at killing him, it certainly emphasises that there are some times when 'letting it go' are better than escalating the situation!

hold on the report claimed the cyclist tried to kick the car, not did kick the car, thats a significant difference, for all we know the guy was just dangling his leg out Valentino Rossi style to try and maintain balance, or was trying to keep distance away the person driving a seriously heavy car with a driver who on a straight road has then driven into the left side of a parked van and then a hairdressers front window, I mean the car clearly did run over the bike still as one of the wheels is mangled, so the cyclist to avoid injury has had to get off somehow very rapidly,for all we know that might that have been the leg kick the eyewitness was talking about.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Love this quote:

"She drives a very fancy car. I think that is what saved her children's' lives."
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    awavey wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

hold on the report claimed the cyclist tried to kick the car, not did kick the car, thats a significant difference, for all we know the guy was just dangling his leg out Valentino Rossi style to try and maintain balance, or was trying to keep distance away the person driving a seriously heavy car with a driver who on a straight road has then driven into the left side of a parked van and then a hairdressers front window, I mean the car clearly did run over the bike still as one of the wheels is mangled, so the cyclist to avoid injury has had to get off somehow very rapidly,for all we know that might that have been the leg kick the eyewitness was talking about.

Didn't I read that the rider is autistic and has some sort of sign on his back to indicate to others that he is. Possibly the car driver didn't see the sign and didn't raise her tolerance levels accordingly.
    Anyway - the woman would've been pretty safe in her car and if she felt threatened she could've left the scene without trying to kill the cyclist.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    Indeed, I don't own a car at all, I think that is what saved my daughers life.
    Love this quote:

"She drives a very fancy car. I think that is what saved her children's' lives."
  • veronese68
    Drove past the scene this morning and grabbed a quick glance, she completely demolished the bay on the front of the building after bouncing off a parked van. There is a forest of acro props holding the thing up.