Bryton Rider 60

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
http://corp.brytonsport.com/products/rider60?lang=eng

This new touchscreen device has been trailed for a while now, but there still doesn't seem to be any sign of it in the UK as yet. This might suggest problems with Bryton, or the device itself.

Anyone else chased Bryton to find out when they might arrive over here? I'm currently a happy Bryton Rider 50 user, it has been very good, but like the idea of a bigger colour touchscreen and already have various compatible 'out in front' mounts and combined speed and cadence sensors on different bikes so not really interested in moving it all over to Garmin.

cheers
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• Geo555
    Geo555 Posts: 96
    I don't think Bryton currently have a UK distributer. You can buy a new unit off ebay, it comes from Spain, for about £225 and it still comes with a 2 year warranty.
  • luv2ride
    Not a bad price at all. Might take a closer look. cheers
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Does anyone have one of these (even though not yet distributed in the UK)?

Is it any good?

Is it a viable alternative to the Garmin or Mio devices?
    Any input appreciated. Thanks.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • Downward
    Downward Posts: 179
    Looks great I wouldn't mind getting one for my next GPS. If they release it at £180 that'll be tempting
  • luv2ride
  • rhaddo
    rhaddo Posts: 24
    Yes I ordered one 2weeks ago from a spanish eBay seller. I paid 210 and for that price I guess I am reasonably happy. The unit has great potential, I like the large screen and the usual customisation that garmin etc offer. However it is buggy and so is the website, a good deal of which appears to be in development. I suggest you go on the website if you are thinking of buying and register then try some of the features.
    I have used it for a couple of rides and the nav worked well, power and hr info seemed correct, but it is similar to my edge705 in that you have to stick at it and figure the oddities out but unlike garmin there is not a user community to help. leaves you with the sparse info in the manual and website, given it is a mini computer this is not really enough. I think there is a lot of overlap with the 50 so maybe lessons from that can be applied to the 60. I would say it is a close run thing with a buying an edge 800, especially if you can get one 2nd hand for a fair price
  • Thanks for the comments.

Your comments are interesting, rhaddo. My 705 seems to be getting a little 'flaky' just lately and its accuracy is certainly worse especially with elevation/grade. Is the Bryton any better?

Visually it is appealing and overall it promises a better experience. Hopefully if it becomes more established they will iron out some of the buggy niggles, and a user based community will form.

Pricewise, while it is good to see Vanilla Bikes are selling in the UK their prices are way off the mark - £377.99 with OS map + cadence/HRM compared with approx. £240 from a French online retailer for full Europe maps (important to me) + cadence/HRM.
  • rhaddo
    rhaddo Posts: 24
    Sorry I don't know about elevation accuracy, I would say general gps quality is better. GPS signal is found quickly, is not lost when in cover and does the usual nav just fine.
    Palligap are also selling the 60 for similar prices to vanilla. The unit and website has to be better before that price is justified, at 240 I would say go for it as long as you are happy to explore and figure things out for yourself.
  • I was keen to get one of these to replace my rather aging Garmin Edge 705 (which is shortly up for sale :)) and I was disappointed to find that UK suppliers were few & far between.

Eventually bought one from France - http://www.xxcycle.com/bicycle-gps-bryt ... pe,,en.php - for approx. £240+P&P including HRM/speed+cadence sensor & full Europe mapping. I paid £251 and received the device within 48 hours. Amazing service. Price is dependent upon exchange rate, which is presently very favourable.

So far, no regrets whatsoever. Just need to get some form of end user forum going as there are inevitable little foibles (but far less than I had with the Garmin).

Oh, UK sellers are typically £100 more expensive than my French seller.
  • BTW, here is another thread about the device...

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12971959
  • Took the plunge and ordered mine.

Well pleased so far.

Software (online only) is not perfect but can be worked around. Hopefully, this should improve over time. Just need to get some end user forum up & running.
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Bryton have a Facebook page somewhere. They encourage people to post feedback or ask software questions. My impression is that they value the feedback and actually want to help the customers.
    The Rider 50 wasn't Mac compatible to begin with, but that was soon rectified. I got mine for half price, brand new from one of the german bike websites. I'd reckon the 60 wouldn't disappoint.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • swj1
    swj1 Posts: 70
    I purchased one a few weeks ago from Amazon and I am quite pleased so far. The only slight issues I have are that the mapping software to plot routes is flakey but I just use plotaroute.com to overcome that. You can't directly upload to Strava, easily rectified but a slight annoyance all the same. The instant route feature is painfully slow and comes up with some bizarre choices!

On the plus side when I plug it in to my Mac it is picked up straight away which is something that never happens with my Garmin 800. The GPS does seem quicker to lock on as well
  • Geo555 wrote:
    I don't think Bryton currently have a UK distributer. You can buy a new unit off ebay, it comes from Spain, for about £225 and it still comes with a 2 year warranty.

Full page advert in the August 2014 issue of CyclingPlus.

UK distributors are Paligap - http://www.paligap.cc

If they start advertising, and get review products to the magazines, this should see increased uptake. Worth it, I think, having owned one for just over a month now.
  • Full page advert in the August 2014 issue of CyclingPlus.

UK distributors are Paligap - http://www.paligap.cc

If they start advertising, and get review products to the magazines, this should see increased uptake. Worth it, I think.
  • swj1 wrote:
    I purchased one a few weeks ago from Amazon and I am quite pleased so far. The only slight issues I have are that the mapping software to plot routes is flakey but I just use plotaroute.com to overcome that. You can't directly upload to Strava, easily rectified but a slight annoyance all the same. The instant route feature is painfully slow and comes up with some bizarre choices!

On the plus side when I plug it in to my Mac it is picked up straight away which is something that never happens with my Garmin 800. The GPS does seem quicker to lock on as well

I agree, GPS lock on is much quicker than my old Garmin, and a mate's Mio too.

Instant route feature?
  • Question for anyone that has one... what's the deal with OS maps and this GPS?

I'm reading that it supports them, but I have no idea where you'd go about buying them / what format of maps the unit supports.

Also, can anyone tell me the sample rate on this particular model. I generally use 1 second on my Garmin so ideally it can match that.
  • Been using mine now for about 3 months.

Can't answer about the OS maps as not used them, but you can get them from http://www.brytonsport.com/eshop - €159.90

The device came with OpenStreetMaps and HD Street Maps pre-installed (for Western Europe). So far I've only used OpenStreetMaps, which generally seem fine although I've had mixed results on pre-planned routes 'losing' the route. I don't know whether that is due to the maps or the device so I will be doing some comparative testing between the two.

Having just returned from 10 days cycling in the south of France where some roads can be 'questionable' I would say that, apart from losing turn by turn directions on planned routes, no problems whatsoever. The route was still easy to follow even without the turn by turn directions.

As for the sample rate, I've no idea what it is set at but in any event there is no option to adjust it. There is an option to change the GPS accuracy (at the expense of power saving).

One thing that I can say is that I have emailed Bryton support with queries. I have always received a reply, which is more that can be said for Garmin.
  • Thanks for the info. I might have a look around for tracks that have been uploaded to Garmin connect etc using that device. It'll be easy enough to check the sample rate then.

As for OpenStreetMaps, sadly it's really not any good for mountain biking in my experience. It's great for roads as a general rule, but next to useless for bridleways etc.
  • Psychotext wrote:
    ... It's great for roads as a general rule, but next to useless for bridleways etc.

Which may go to explain some routing issues in France where some of the 'roads' are not much better than goat tracks :D
  • Hmm. I just read that the Bryton speed / cadence sensor can only give you one of the two (apparently there's a switch). If that's the case I'm better off just using the Garmin GSC10.

Edit - Perhaps that's the old version. I just looked at the current version and I don't see any switch.
  • Definitely no switch on my Bryton speed/cadence sensor.

Never had a problem with it. Can set the device to use dual sensor or GPS as default for speed.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Originally the Bryton sensor was cadence or speed - if you wanted both, you needed two sensors or you needed to buy a Garmin GSC10. Then they brought out their version of the GSC10.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Mayhemwmb
    Mayhemwmb Posts: 108
    Bryton do two separate sensors - one that switches between the functions (small switch inside the battery compartment)
    The second type is a combined unit that does both cadence and speed,
    Hope this helps

I'm a current rider50 user and may upgrade in time
  • I contacted Bryton and they said this regarding my questions...
    I’m interested in buying a Bryton Rider 60 but before I order I’d like to find out what the recording interval is for track logging (for later export from the device). I have a Garmin that has an adjustable rate, with the fastest at 1 per second. Does the Rider 60 record this frequently?

Also, I assume it’s possible to copy GPX files (or similar with conversion) to the unit to use as routes?
    Rider 60 can also record 1 per second.
    That’s more, you can export them to TCX, GPX, PWX, BDX.
    You can import GPX and BDX into it directly.
    You can also import fit from our web site.
  • Psychotext,

Useful to know, and good to see Bryton still respond to enquiries (even if their words are perhaps slightly lost in translation).

Slightly OT, but one thing that has always frustrated me is device accuracy. I have a Bryton Rider 60, a mate has a Garmin Edge 705 and another has (rather had - it fell off and was run over) a Mio 310. We have done the same ride but the devices all record different distances and more significantly altitude/elevation gain. Only 2 weeks ago I rode with mine and a mate with his 705 - distance was 82.8Km/84.0Km and elevation gain 1,073m/908m respectively! Now if only this could be resolved.
  • Out of interest, where are you viewing the data? I know that garmin does automatic altitude adjustment on some models but not on others. Also, did you calibrate the altimeter? I had loads of problems with my Etrex 30 until I did that.
  • On reflection, my remark does need some qualifying.

When viewing data either on the device or when uploading to the Bryton website the data seems reasonably consistent between the two. However, when uploading from the Bryton website to Strava, that's where it goes haywire. My mates with their Garmin & Mio had similar issues so perhaps it's Strava that has the problem.

Calibrate the altimeter? Always. It can still return different altitudes for the same start/finish though. One of the 'joys' of a barometric altimeter. Why ho why can't anyone synchronise between the barometric altitude & GPS?
  • Wouldn't be surprised if Strava does some automatic adjustment too. Quite annoying.
  • To resurrect what is a rather old thread but only to caution anyone that may be considering purchasing a Bryton Rider 60, I have copied below a message posted on Facebook to Bryton:
    FYI...as you don't seem to actively participate in your own Facebook pages...As stated above...Looks like the Rider 60 is effectively dead. Here's a response from Bryton to an enquiry about its future development/support..."Hi David, thank you for your message. From my knowledge, recently there won't be any update on Rider 60, but if there is any new update in the future, I will sure post on Facebook. Really sorry for any inconvenience caused !" ... Update...RIP Bryton Rider 60!!! My own research at the weekend resulted in me emailing gpstuner.com, the company that effectively creates the engine behind the Rider 60 (and the Mio Cyclo 505). They replied to say that Bryton no longer require them to support the Rider 60 and therefore they can do nothing more. I will try to post exactly what their response was when I get home, but essentially they have confirmed there will be no updates to the device or the maps installed on it (which are 2 years out of date). I regard the Rider 60 now to be obsolete and I do not hold my breath waiting for it to be replaced by Bryton or anyone else. I'm not convinced I would ever buy another Bryton device simply because of this debacle and their failure to support their products. I will put up with the Rider 60 for the time being and see what other devices come to market over the next 6 months or so (or may just bite the bullet now if I get totally let down while riding in France over the next 2 weeks...Further update...Rider 60 continues to disappoint. 2 weeks in France = 2 weeks of unreliable routing. Come on Bryton, fix your existing products before shouting about new products - "Simple but Powerful" Who are you kidding? The only way I would consider ANY new Bryton product would be if I was given a substantial discount to compensate for the problems you seem incapable of fixing in your existing products!

Device not updated. Maps old and cannot be updated (except by Bryton). I consider my Bryton as functional. Just, but only if you accept that routing is not reliable. Not recommended at present.