What's with people these days?

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited June 2014 in The cake stop
Some people on here need to lighten up a bit, you only have to say one comment which is obviously untrue, questioning something they have said or meant as a joke and people attack you like you have just punched their mum in the face!

there have been a load of stupid threads and disproportionately angry replies (even for the internet) recently, is there something in the water these days?
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Its the same in various forums...here we have the helmet debate, on the hifi forums you'll have the speaker cable debate. People just need to accept there are different opinions and all are right (except those that are obviously wrong :roll: ), get thicker skin and treat everything with a pinch of salt.

One rule that should be obyed is...tackle the issue, not the person.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Maybe they're refugees from the Asylum? Dr Lodge am I too late to complement you on the Rourke? It's very, very classy.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,231
    mm1, I think you were one of those he was refering to.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • drlodge
    mm1 wrote:
    Maybe they're refugees from the Asylum? Dr Lodge am I too late to complement you on the Rourke? It's very, very classy.

No never too late, thank you (unless you're being sarcastic :wink: )
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Not at all, I have several steel bikes (Roberts, Burls, Condor and an On-One Inbred) and have always liked the look of Rourke's (besides which Kelly has ridden one in the Cat and Fiddle and I'm not going to argue with that.)
  • chris_bass
    drlodge wrote:
    Its the same in various forums...here we have the helmet debate, on the hifi forums you'll have the speaker cable debate. People just need to accept there are different opinions and all are right (except those that are obviously wrong :roll: ), get thicker skin and treat everything with a pinch of salt.

One rule that should be obyed is...tackle the issue, not the person.

yeah, i know, its just there seems to be a lot of it going on at the moment.
  • drlodge
    mm1 wrote:
    Not at all, I have several steel bikes (Roberts, Burls, Condor and an On-One Inbred) and have always liked the look of Rourke's (besides which Kelly has ridden one in the Cat and Fiddle and I'm not going to argue with that.)

Ah yes, Sean Kelly...the white on my frame is a pearl white, exactly like that on Sean's Rourke frame :-) His frame was sitting in the shop (bar area) when I went for my fitting which gave me an idea for the colour scheme. It was later refined afer seeing Jason's blue/white track frame colour scheme:

DSCF2023-1024x768.jpg
    Find me on Strava
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    What's the speaker cable debate?

I wear a helmet but my speaker cables are cheap... B*ll*cks.
  • drlodge
    lawrences wrote:

Oh don't start this argument...basically it those who believe all cable sound the same vs those who believe some (expensive) cables improve sound quality. Its your money..spend it how you like :)
    Find me on Strava
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    drlodge wrote:
    lawrences wrote:

Oh don't start this argument...basically it those who believe all cable sound the same vs those who believe some (expensive) cables improve sound quality. Its your money..spend it how you like :)

You're a bit behind the times aren't you? It's all about HDMI cables now ... ;)
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    drlodge wrote:
    Its your money..spend it how you like :)

what happens if it is the wifes money?
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • drlodge
    I was talking about hifi, HDMI is audio visual and therefore not really hifi..you certainly wouldn't use an HDMI cable as speaker cable although you may well use CAT5 network cable as speaker cable :shock:

cfivecable.jpg

See how easily a discussion starts turning into an argument when there is really nothing to argue about? :o
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge
    sa0u823e wrote:
    what happens if it is the wifes money?

You tell her the speaker cable was thrown in free with the rest of the [inexpensive] equipment
    Find me on Strava
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    drlodge wrote:
    lawrences wrote:

I noticed a huge difference when I moved from bell wire to midrange speaker cable.

Perhaps we can move on and discuss brake and gear cables? If I use bell wire for that will there be a chime every time I brake?
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    ToeKnee wrote:
    drlodge wrote:
    lawrences wrote:

I noticed a huge difference when I moved from bell wire to midrange speaker cable.

Perhaps we can move on and discuss brake and gear cables? If I use bell wire for that will there be a chime every time I brake?

I prefer NAIM cables, it's because of the wiggling that they do with them at the factory post manufacture. All important. I might do it with my brake cables.
    Insert bike here:
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Ok then.

-Your speaker cables should be proportionate to the quality of your sound equipment.

-And using the same logic, your helmet should be proportional to your intelligence.

Two arguments solved.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I've heard that if you use gold cables with Di2 then your shifting is 0.0001 seconds faster ;)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Slowbike wrote:
    HDMI carries a digital signal, so as long as all the ones and noughts get there what does the quality of the cable matter?
    If there is any disagreement on this can we sort it out after school in the traditional manner?
  • drlodge
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    HDMI carries a digital signal, so as long as all the ones and noughts get there what does the quality of the cable matter?
    If there is any disagreement on this can we sort it out after school in the traditional manner?

Ah see now you've started it, and I'm gonna get you back once the school bell rings :lol:

Digital cables do transmit 1s and 0s true, but its the timing of those 1s and 0s that's important and how well the leading/trailing edges are defined that can cause jitter.

If you disagree with me, I'll get my older sister to beat you up.
    Find me on Strava
  • chris_bass
    drlodge wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Ah see now you've started it, and I'm gonna get you back once the school bell rings :lol:

Digital cables do transmit 1s and 0s true, but its the timing of those 1s and 0s that's important and how well the leading/trailing edges are defined that can cause jitter.

now, now, you two!!!

this is turning into exactly the kind of thing I was talking about,

soon one of you will be saying the other deserves to die or shouldnt be allowed to have hearing aids on the NHS because your ears will have been damaged by substandard audio quality!
  • slowbike
    Chris Bass wrote:
    drlodge wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

now, now, you two!!!

this is turning into exactly the kind of thing I was talking about,

soon one of you will be saying the other deserves to die or shouldnt be allowed to have hearing aids on the NHS because your ears will have been damaged by substandard audio quality!

Well, that depends on the type of hearing aid .. the new digital ones could be tuned to the obvious low quality audio expected by those who spend £1.99 on an HDMI cable and use cat5 cable (what not cat6?! cheapskates!) for their speakers.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I'm going to string someone up with a length of cheap co-ax in a moment. :mrgreen:
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I'm going to string someone up with a length of cheap co-ax in a moment. :mrgreen:

Can I suggest someone :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • drlodge
    My Dad actually used coax aerial cable as speaker cable to feed his QUAD ESL 57 electrostatic speakers. They're very low impedence speakers at low frequencies.
    Find me on Strava
  • I quite enjoy QED Silver Anniversary XT cables in AV set up. Which is nice.
  • drlodge
    I quite enjoy QED Silver Anniversary XT cables in AV set up. Which is nice.

Good cables that have had lots of good reviews/best buys etc. I use 2 sets of Townshend Isolda cables on my hifi, in a "biwire" setup. That's £1,000 of speaker cable :shock: Now you see where the arguments come in..."you spent how much on speaker cable???"
    Find me on Strava
  • My Dad gave it to me so not a penny spent! Unfortunately, my speakers are not bi-wireable. Just to start another argument, I'm not sure bi-wiring is really worth it!
  • slowbike
    I listen to music ...

I do have some good quality speaker cables, reasonable speakers and a 28yo amplifier ...

or I play the piano ..

eitherway I can't hear the rantings of some deranged idiot posting on a forum .... ;)
  • drlodge
    At the end of the day...its gets dark :wink:

All that matters, if you own a road bike, is that you enjoy riding it.

All that matters, if you own a hifi, is that you enjoy listening to it (or rather listening to the music not the equipment, thats another debate started :roll: ).

People have different goals and objectives in life, and get enjoyment from different things. Some like to fettle with their bike more than riding it...others just want to ride it and don't even know how to change an inner tube. Each to their own...it makes for an interesting world.
    Find me on Strava
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    Some people on here need to lighten up a bit, you only have to say one comment which is obviously untrue, questioning something they have said or meant as a joke and people attack you like you have just punched their mum in the face!

there have been a load of stupid threads and disproportionately angry replies (even for the internet) recently, is there something in the water these days?

I have done some personality profiling and we definitely have one or two potential serial killers on here :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul