Wayne Rooney england talisman or muppet ?

Comments

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    PBlakeney wrote:
    laurentian wrote:
    Rooney, Ashley Cole, Steven Gerrard and, to a lesser extent Frank Lampard, are the consistently outstanding English players of the last 10 years and I would say Rooney is at the top of that list.

He is paid a salary that reflects his position as one of the best players in the premiership and, being English playing in England, can command a premium for that within the EPL - this is the same for anyone in any profession, the best performers in the best companies get the best salaries. I have no problem with Rooney's millions, its the mediocre overseas imported, bench warming central defender on £30k a week that I find puzzling.

The average Premiership football fan is far more informed about their chosen sport than the average Premiership rugby fan and top flight rugby is fast becoming a narcissistic bore fest.

Rooney should play in an advanced midfield position with Sturridge in front of him. Wouldn't call him a Talisman exactly but he's no muppet. He has to play.

All in my very humble opinion of course.

If ever there was a damning comment on the state of the National squad, then it is the above.
    In my very humble opinion of course.

Agreed - Being an outstanding English player certainly doesn't put one in the pantheon of world greats
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Fat pie eater better than Cole, Lamps and Gerrard. Hmmmmmmmmm now that is very, very debatable.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    Fat pie eater better than Cole, Lamps and Gerrard. Hmmmmmmmmm now that is very, very debatable.

Yes, debatable for sure but I think over the past 10 years it would be either FPE or Cole - I'd find it hard to argue against Cole . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Matthewfalle
    Be intrigued to see stats re Lamps vs FPE: international minutes played, ground covered, passes completed, goals scored etc etc. I think we may all be surprised and see that Lamps is probably winning that one.

I'd have 4 Cashleys to one FPE, I know that much.

Attitude/professionalism wise: Lamps every day of the week. By a mile.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Lamps? :lol:

No offence Cornerblock :wink:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    None taken.

I was not going to bother with the whole who's been the better player for England debate, but seeing as I have then it would have to be Ashley Cole in the recent past, you'd be hard pushed to find half a dozen games he's played bad in from over 100. Arguably England's best ever full back even.

As for Lampard, voted England's best player twice, made tournament team at Euro's in 2004 I think, vital goals as well. And more than that even after being booed when coming on at Wembley by so called England fans he still keeps turning up to represent his country. Plenty of others would have said '**** that!' Always been available for his country too, and never cried off with a fake injury either, unlike many others I could mention.

When all's said and done England have been pony for years, so being the best player in that period really doesn't count for much anyway.
  • seanoconn
    Cole for me too.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    One good cross for a goal negated by a shocking attempt at a corner.
    Several attempted shots at goal which a World Class player would have stuck away.
    A solid 5/10 performance but he is nowhere near a "talisman".

It would appear that Paul Scholes has it right.

Roy's selection and perseverance with Wayne in a position he is clearly unhappy with says it all really.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Matthewfalle
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Several attempted shots at goal which a World Class player would have stuck away.

Roy's selection and perseverance with Wayne in a position he is clearly unhappy with says it all really.

So what you're saying is that because FPE is unhappy, Woy should change the whole set up of the least mediocre England team in years to keep him happy - even though he isn't actually very good!

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:

So what you're saying is that because FPE is unhappy, Woy should change the whole set up of the least mediocre England team in years to keep him happy - even though he isn't actually very good!

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
    No.
    I am saying that he has not fulfilled his potential and this is where he has ended up.
    Roy and Paul have it right.
    I do not think it is the most mediocre squad though. The youngsters have potential.
    This potential may, or may not be realised though. As ever.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Matthewfalle
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
    No.
    I am saying that he has not fulfilled his potential and this is where he has ended up.
    Roy and Paul have it right.
    I do not think it is the most mediocre squad though. The youngsters have potential.
    This potential may, or may not be realised though. As ever.

Agree -it is not the most mediocre squad. It is the least mediocre squad.

Quarters at the very most, scrape through the group stage. Then again, Costa Rica were fairly handy last night, so let's see shall we?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Serious Cat
    Serious Cat Posts: 489
    If they get through it will be by the usual English method of scraping in by the back door , seen it way too many times. Didn't Rooney affirm last night that 300k a week he gets paid is one seriously sick joke.
    This serious internet site..............I serious cat
  • If they get through it will be by the usual English method of scraping in by the back door , seen it way too many times. Didn't Rooney affirm last night that 300k a week he gets paid is one seriously sick joke.

You do seem overly obsessed with talking about Engerlund.....
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Talisman or muppet?
    We will find out tonight.
  • seanoconn
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Talisman or muppet?
    Rooney hat trick?
  • Matthewfalle
    seanoconn wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Talisman or muppet?
    Rooney hat trick?

As in the fabled "pull an old slapper out of a hat" trick?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Serious Cat
    Come on Uruguay and hammer them :D
  • pblakeney
    Come on Uruguay and hammer them :D
    Do try and inject something interesting or humorous.
    Just being ABE is boring, tedious and comes over as simply bitter.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Serious Cat
    1st Uruguay performance was pisspoor and I don't expect them to put up much of a performance........but I can always live in hope :D
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Got your wish unless a miracle happens.
    Rooney out of form lacking confidence perhaps. No Muppet just nearing international career end.
    No Gascoigne or Maradonna in the team, a player to change a game with their next level talent, creativity and genius. Not got our usual strong defence. England used to build from the back I think.
    England needs another world cup just to forget about 66. Mind you not seen or heard about the 66 win this time. Have we finally forgotten about it?
    Looking forwardv to rugby world cup. It's one of the only sports we get the chance to see Scotland and Wales reaching an international cup final! A refreshing change that. Gives me the chance to support more teams. Anything but southern hemisphere and France.
    When England lost to Italy I believe the football fans in town lost it throwing glasses and bottles around. Good job they're plastic ones. Bit of violence too. When rugby world cup on there's none of that. Probably because there's less people there watching. Not as popular as football.
    we need a long term approach. Like rugby did leading to the England team of 2002/2003 where they were THE team to beat. That was down to the coach being given time to build the team and get the backing of the top teams in the top flight. They released players which meant longer to train as a team. I think time together as your a-team allows players to become a team not collection of stars culled from many teams.
    Who to support now England are out? Not got any second choice. Who will you support when England goes home?
  • Serious Cat
    edited June 2014
    Anyone listening to radio 5 ? Whinging scousers reading the england team the riot act and Woy won't be able to leave his house. The only way england can scrape through is dependant on 3 other scores and the odds are it's over. Shrek will be pleased to come home with a goal to his credit but Woy is going to discover what the phrase poison chalice means :shock: superb 2nd half and Suarez was simply magnificent.Saddest thing is when he dons the Liverpool shirt next season there will be crowd orang Utangs booing him.
  • Serious Cat
    Got your wish unless a miracle happens.
    Rooney out of form lacking confidence perhaps. No Muppet just nearing international career end.
    No Gascoigne or Maradonna in the team, a player to change a game with their next level talent, creativity and genius. Not got our usual strong defence. England used to build from the back I think.
    England needs another world cup just to forget about 66. Mind you not seen or heard about the 66 win this time. Have we finally forgotten about it?
    Looking forwardv to rugby world cup. It's one of the only sports we get the chance to see Scotland and Wales reaching an international cup final! A refreshing change that. Gives me the chance to support more teams. Anything but southern hemisphere and France.
    When England lost to Italy I believe the football fans in town lost it throwing glasses and bottles around. Good job they're plastic ones. Bit of violence too. When rugby world cup on there's none of that. Probably because there's less people there watching. Not as popular as football.
    we need a long term approach. Like rugby did leading to the England team of 2002/2003 where they were THE team to beat. That was down to the coach being given time to build the team and get the backing of the top teams in the top flight. They released players which meant longer to train as a team. I think time together as your a-team allows players to become a team not collection of stars culled from many teams.
    Who to support now England are out? Not got any second choice. Who will you support when England goes home?

My heart wants Argentina but my head knows the formidable Germans will be hard to stop.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Well I'm going back to my ancestry and supporting another team. Hmmm! Irish, Welsh, Spanish, Swedish... Not got any luck there. Have to resort to very tenuous links to Germany or USA. Germans going to win it I think. Bundisliga is good league, good for national side but possibly as good as epl.
    Rooney is no Muppet. He's got a longer holiday than other wc players now.
  • ballysmate
    seanoconn wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Talisman or muppet?
    Rooney hat trick?

Mystic Meg you aint. :lol:
  • pblakeney
    Ballysmate wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Talisman or muppet?
    Rooney hat trick?

Mystic Meg you aint. :lol:
    Hat trick of losses?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ballysmate
    Being knocked out of the World Cup, I can take. God knows we are used to it.
    Being shite, i can take, we have known that for a while.
    Fans holding up signs saying bye bye England I can take, we are going home.
    But I swear to God I heard Uruguayans singing, "Are you Scotland in disguise?"...
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Absolutely love Rooney. Have met him a few times now and is wonderful company.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • ballysmate
    MattC59 wrote:

Would you share a lift with him?
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    MattC59 wrote:

Where did you meet him, a local brothel?
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Serious Cat
    MattC59 wrote:

" em dats right, eh eh eh , wez Colleen she az me socks and all dat eh eh eh "

Thanks but I'll pass.