Wayne Rooney england talisman or muppet ?

Serious Cat
Serious Cat Posts: 489
edited June 2014 in The bottom bracket
What a hullabaloo on radio 5 this morning over Rooney :roll: ,true to form england big themselves up ,play $hite and the fallout begins. England will be bloody lucky to get o u t of the group stages of the world cup, Hodgson will be torn apart by the tabloids and regret taking the job and like every competition the blame game will commence. Rooney is an overpaid and overrated player whom whether england do well or useless has been placed on his shoulders , should he suck against Italy then I wouldn't wanna be in his shoes when lager swilling england fans get hold o f him :lol: do you think Rooney h a s what it takes or is his arrse hung out there for a kicking ?
This serious internet site..............I serious cat

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    He has never been the talisman so given the two choices you offered up........
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Can we list overpaid muppet to the list of choices please :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,497
    ...and also add an option with a derisory reference to grannies.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Serious Cat
    Wonder if the anyone but England campaign will be resurrected again in time for Brazil ? I admit its awful but ive no sympathy for the English football team as it makes some people ( particularly the scotch and irish ) nauseous to hear about 1966 for the zillionth time from pot bellied fans and in the press morning noon and night.

If a spokesman for the England team stood up and said we are rubbish and we know we will be on a flight home soon to face a ravaging from the gutter press then Im confident England would find a lot more support coming their way. Instead we usually get garbage about how they are going to win shortly before a nation in the first round with 3000 inhabitants pops a goal in after about 90 seconds.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,869
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    ...and also add an option with a derisory reference to grannies.

tomb raider Rooney
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    Wonder if the anyone but England campaign will be resurrected again in time for Brazil ?

Wonder ye not. ABE tee-shirts in Brazil colours have been spotted being worn with pride.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Not a big footy fan but I usually watch the world cup following England.
    Have to say, I didn't think they were being hyped this year. But maybe I just haven't followed closely enough.
    I'd agree with you all any other year.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Why is it always about Rooney? Sturridge is no doubt a better striker than him now and Barkley probably a better AMC.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    66 annoys the he'll out of me. Wasn't born then. Forget 66 and you'll get on, you'll perhaps get respect for what the team actually does achieve. We're a second or third tier football nation as far as the national team. The premiership has more players going to Brazil in a national team than any other league. In the top flight teams with international players the premiership has something like 5 teams in the top 11 club teams for this.
    Basically we have a very strong club scene but that does not promote a strong enough national team. However I'm still behind them but with an honest view. I'll be happy with making the knockout stages. Sturridge should be main strike force, he's on form. He can't team up with Rooney so Rooney can't play with him. Sturridge truly gelled with Suarez at Liverpool if that happened with Rooney we'd be better off. It's like Stevie G. and Lampard. They don't work together well. Lampard lost out as Gerrard fitted better in the setup. I'm basically saying our national side has highly talented players who work in teams set up around them but they don't work together. They'll never be like Brazil or Germany or Spain or Italy. Great footballing national sides that take among the best stars and make them work as a team. Spain works as it's kind of made from little over 2 Spanish club teams.
    Anyway, I won't get into an ABE thing but they'll not get a second star on their shirts....EVER! The ABE thing is like the Scots fans wearing All Blacks rugby shirts in 2003 because they were the best chance to stop one of England's last truly great National sides. Sour grapes because they have even less chance of getting on. PS I rarely drink lager and my beer belly was a 6 pack until a year or so ago when things left me less active than I used to be.
  • littledove44
    littledove44 Posts: 871
    Who, or what is a Rooney?

The only England games I can think of are in New Zealand this weekend. Is he a substitute?
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Oh I'd so like to see the mixing of those games. England football team in a game with the all blacks! Either one team playing rugby and the other football rules or both playing rugby. Of course it'd be better if one of those national team sides with diving cheats playing for them got made to play the all blacks at rugby. Basically I'm a rugby fan who wants the primadonna footballers taught to man up and play the game right. Someone compared rugby and football. One is a game for thugs played by gentleman, the other is a gentleman's game watched by thugs (or is it played by thugs).
  • Serious Cat
    Rugby has great fans who travel the world and the players play to win and put on a spectacle. English football is a herd of primadonnas falling over in agony when a slight gust of wind brushes them watched by pot bellied , lager swilling, curry eating, Jeremy Kyle watching , beach shorts wearing louts who could start a fight in an empty room.

Gimme the rugger world cup over the soccer one every single time and back to Rooney, £300k a week for what he does is nothing short of criminal and I wonder how many English teammates talk about that fecker on £300k a week and the dressing room mentality will consign England to an early flight back home. :lol:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I was 15 in 1966 and it was amazing, albeit when the world was black and white. I don't think that I fully realised the enormity of it all and quite what had been achieved. Some of the stay at homers were saying that about the d day landings
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,548
    is it about the turnê do brasil or something similar?

but what's a rooney? i'm assuming some kind of biting insect, there're a lot of nasty diseases in south america, i'm guessing that you can get one or more from a rooney

on that basis, seems clear that rooneys should be squished without mercy
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Rooney is coming back from injury so is a bit "Fozzie Bear" at the moment. If you list the great attacking players in world football none play for England currently. The 1990 England team had a lot of players who could turn a game, pass forwards, run with the ball and shoot.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Rugby has great fans who travel the world and the players play to win and put on a spectacle. English football is a herd of primadonnas falling over in agony when a slight gust of wind brushes them watched by pot bellied , lager swilling, curry eating, Jeremy Kyle watching , beach shorts wearing louts who could start a fight in an empty room.

Gimme the rugger world cup over the soccer one every single timel

This.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025

Gimme the rugger world cup over the soccer one every single time and back to Rooney, £300k a week for what he does is nothing short of criminal and I wonder how many English teammates talk about that fecker on £300k a week and the dressing room mentality will consign England to an early flight back home. :lol:

I have to admit to not being much of a football fan these days (though I was a regular at the turnstiles in my youth, when you could just go and pay in- many, many years ago! :roll: ) and I'm sorry to say, I've never had any interest in rugby. :oops:

As I've never been to a game (though I work with 3 rugby fanatics) could you give us a description of "all" rugby fans then?
    None drink lager, wear shorts, eat curry, or god forbid, are overweight at all? I beg to differ. :wink:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    Pituophis wrote:
    As I've never been to a game (though I work with 3 rugby fanatics) could you give us a description of "all" rugby fans then?
    None drink lager, wear shorts, eat curry, or god forbid, are overweight at all? I beg to differ. :wink:
    Rugby fans drink lager but can control it in general. If they do get out of control they tend to abuse each other instead of innocents.
    Rugby fans wear shorts when it is appropriate, and not to games.
    Rugby fans eat curry but have to good sense not to go down the "macho" route of vindaloo etc. Unless challenging each other.
    Rugby fans are overweight but tend to have some muscle under the fat.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pituophis
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:
    Rugby fans drink lager but can control it in general. If they do get out of control they tend to abuse each other instead of innocents.
    Rugby fans eat curry but have to good sense not to go down the "macho" route of vindaloo etc. Unless challenging each other.

So, pretty much just like the majority of football fans then?
  • pblakeney
    Pituophis wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:

Football fans abuse innocents.
    Football fans drink lager past the point of control.
    Football fans eat curry and deposit it on the pavement.
    Football fans are overweight couch potatoes.

In conclusion, no.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Serious Cat
    England v Honduras last night.

England v 3rd Rate opposition.

11 man England v 10 man Honduras

Did England win or even score a single goal ?

NO !!!! and where the hell was £300k per week Rooney

united.jpg
  • Pituophis
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:

Football fans abuse innocents.
    Football fans drink lager past the point of control.
    Football fans eat curry and deposit it on the pavement.
    Football fans are overweight couch potatoes.

In conclusion, no.

Watch out for the third Billy goat! :D
  • Stevo_666
    Some cracking generalisations about football and rugby fans :roll:

Anyway, sod the rugby - the World Cup starts this week.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • COVEC
    COVEC Posts: 213
    Rooney is immortalised by Giant bikes, they released a whole new concept in cycling technology with the introduction of the
    TCR

That C*%t Rooney
  • pblakeney
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Was that not the point?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Was that not the point?
    They were a bit obvious.
  • pblakeney
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Was that not the point?
    They were a bit obvious.
    Apparently not for someone who has not been to a rugby game, so I made them.

Anyway......
    Based purely on England performances, why is Rooney a shoe-in?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Anyway......
    Based purely on England performances, why is Rooney a shoe-in?
    No idea.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,387
    Rooney, Ashley Cole, Steven Gerrard and, to a lesser extent Frank Lampard, are the consistently outstanding English players of the last 10 years and I would say Rooney is at the top of that list.

He is paid a salary that reflects his position as one of the best players in the premiership and, being English playing in England, can command a premium for that within the EPL - this is the same for anyone in any profession, the best performers in the best companies get the best salaries. I have no problem with Rooney's millions, its the mediocre overseas imported, bench warming central defender on £30k a week that I find puzzling.

The average Premiership football fan is far more informed about their chosen sport than the average Premiership rugby fan and top flight rugby is fast becoming a narcissistic bore fest.

Rooney should play in an advanced midfield position with Sturridge in front of him. Wouldn't call him a Talisman exactly but he's no muppet. He has to play.

All in my very humble opinion of course.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • pblakeney
    laurentian wrote:
    Rooney, Ashley Cole, Steven Gerrard and, to a lesser extent Frank Lampard, are the consistently outstanding English players of the last 10 years and I would say Rooney is at the top of that list.

He is paid a salary that reflects his position as one of the best players in the premiership and, being English playing in England, can command a premium for that within the EPL - this is the same for anyone in any profession, the best performers in the best companies get the best salaries. I have no problem with Rooney's millions, its the mediocre overseas imported, bench warming central defender on £30k a week that I find puzzling.

The average Premiership football fan is far more informed about their chosen sport than the average Premiership rugby fan and top flight rugby is fast becoming a narcissistic bore fest.

Rooney should play in an advanced midfield position with Sturridge in front of him. Wouldn't call him a Talisman exactly but he's no muppet. He has to play.

All in my very humble opinion of course.

If ever there was a damning comment on the state of the National squad, then it is the above.
    In my very humble opinion of course.
    Veronese68 wrote: