Comments

• Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Turfle wrote:
    Really nice finishing circuit that.

This.

Oh well, that's over for another year.
    Middle of the road Giro.
    Onwards towards the biggest circus in town.

Too true BS, but we will all end up watching it 8) . Went to see the Pantani film the other night and did i hear Matt Rendell say that the Giro is "nearly" as hard as the tour ???? talking through his ar*e. - Prudhomme is obssessed with downhill finishes in the mountains and 9 days of flat sprints. looks like another F1 predictable finish thats if froome does not fall off.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Milton50 wrote:
    Well it's been nice having Hatch and Kelly these last 3 weeks. Back to Carlton Kirby for the Dauphine. :(

You see, having watched pretty much every single stage, I couldn't agree less. Bring back Kirby and then we don;t have to put up with 'make the junction' and 'illuminous'. Kirby is way more interesting/entertaining than Hatch too.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    ddraver wrote:
    Sugar me sweet that was actually a good effort by Farrar there...

Fair Play to Quintana. Small black cloud over it but not sure it makes any difference and lets be honest, a Giro win without controversy just isnt a Giro win

What black cloud?
  • rick_chasey
    Joelsim wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    Well it's been nice having Hatch and Kelly these last 3 weeks. Back to Carlton Kirby for the Dauphine. :(

You see, having watched pretty much every single stage, I couldn't agree less. Bring back Kirby and then we don;t have to put up with 'make the junction' and 'illuminous'. Kirby is way more interesting/entertaining than Hatch too.

You need your head examining.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    edited June 2014
    Turfle wrote:
    Really nice finishing circuit that.

This.

Oh well, that's over for another year.
    Middle of the road Giro.
    Onwards towards the biggest circus in town.

This year's circus could be one of the best. Contador, cobbles, erm Cwaitkowski.

But seriously, if we can have a bit of Wiggo v Froome, a Yates or two, Costa on form, Kwia, Valverde's last Tour, not to mention the Kittel v Cav v Demare in the usually dull sprint stages...
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    ddraver wrote:

Fair Play to Quintana. Small black cloud over it but not sure it makes any difference and lets be honest, a Giro win without controversy just isnt a Giro win

What black cloud?

I think he means the shoe covers for the MTT.
  • rick_chasey
    MrTapir wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

What black cloud?

I think he means the shoe covers for the MTT.

As someone of similar stature to Quintana, I can only empathise.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    You know exactly what Black Cloud I mean Master Chasey! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    I really don't.
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    Enjoyable few weeks, but looking forward to some bike racing.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Macaloon wrote:
    Only Farrar can stop Quintana now.

:)
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    That was a thoroughly enjoyable Giro which felt very long and well fought out.

Congratulations to Quintana for being a great champion. I can't believe he is 24, so amazing and so mature. At an age when most riders are fetching bottles he has shown himself to be mentally and physically hors normmes. Flurioclasse. So much more to come from him.

SPTDW805-660x440.jpg
    174130_1c64f60b-e08a-457c-8c87-035fe0716742.jpg
    "It's one of the happiest days in my life," he said. "I always dreamt of winning a Grand Tour and now it's become real. I dreamed about winning the Giro. but every rider dreams. Last year, after I finished 2nd in the Tour, my dream seemed much closer. It was a precocious dream, and I’m still very young, with my 24 years, but I’ve won the race that I dreamed of.

“I feel great happiness. even if I don’t have words to express it. I feel huge emotions inside. To see so many people celebrating - Italian, Colombians, my family - it’s really wonderful.

"Thanks to my team, my family and all the people that supports me, this is now achieved. I wasn't expecting at all to see so many Colombians in Trieste today. It was amazing to see so many flags through the circuit and around the podium. I'm super proud of my country.

“The podium was emotional. I dedicate my victory to my team. Without them I’d never have reached Trieste as the winner. And when I say team, I mean everyone: the soigneurs, the mechanics, the press officer, everyone who was close to me. I also dedicate it to my family who came from Colombia to support me, and to my Colombian compatriots. I hope they enjoy this win.

“I hope people will see now that Colombia isn’t what it was 20 years ago. It has changed a lot. Life is peaceful and good now. Small steps have been taken towards peace: a process is going on now, and I hope in my heart that the progress that is happening now will come to fruition.

"Probably I've been stronger than the rest, and we sort of saw it on Friday. Yet, I strill suffered, like all the others. I'm a human being, a normal one, just like any other person, and legs did really hurt to me yesterday, but I defended myself well. It's true that I wasn't in my best possible condition throughout the race and still struggle with mucus. These long mountain stages also had an impact. I looked like calm, but I could feel pain inside

"I'm a good climber and things went well in the Giro if you take into account my real health status, but there are other riders who also ride fast and have more experience than me. We must keep working and digging every day to equal or even beat them.

"My biggest breakdown during the Giro was the Stelvio, where I wasn't able to put my rain jacket on for the descent. I was about to get off the bike to put on it, but then, Gorka was my best support; he forced me to continue with no rain jacket to ride on.

"It was snowing really much, all my clothes were wet, but he supported me all the way in that difficult moment, gave me some food and we went on. He gave me motivation to win such a difficult stage, so hard, yet so beautiful at the end, finishing with a smile.

"This generation of Colombian riders like me - we're showing the world, since some of us came to Europe in 2012, we can win stages, important races, we show our quality - yet today's win is a huge reality, another big success.

"Last year I was second in the Tour de France, something that no other Colombian had achieved prior - plus, Rigoberto was also second in the Giro. It might be coincidence, a choice of nature, but we're strong, just like that. I think there are some other Colombian lads, younger than us, who are also strong and will show their quality in the future, in European teams and races.

"When I came into the pro scene, I was lucky enough to sign for the right team. I got to know a great professor and a person who knows loads about cycling, who transmits his knowledge well and had so many different champions in his teams: Eusebio Unzué. I always listen to him, we speak, he teaches me, he keeps me calm, and when you have good legs, it all becomes much easier.

"Life itself pushed me forward, and it keeps doing so - I don't realize, but I got to this sort of success really early in my life, yet with all those ones surrounding me, I grew up a lot, I learned a lot of things, took massive leaps forward and there's no comparison from what I was four years ago to what I am now.

"I feel like a complete man now, one able to do many more things in cycling, to offer the fans some spectacle and make them enjoy for many years. There's much of Nairo Quintana still to give."

Congratulations to Uran for a valiant effort and for being a true gentleman and humble rider throughout. Those who think you need to be ruthless to win are totally mistaken. You only need that if you are not talented enough.

Congratulations to AG2R being the best team:
    SPTDW838-659x440.jpg

BpCJ62PCQAAy7e5.jpg
    14320580012_5d67762425_c.jpg
    14342568793_4e03101063_c.jpg
    173215_PIC466432710.jpg

Respect to the teams that finished with nine men - few and far between.
    Good to see a few riders from Sky giving it a go an entertaining the fans - something that we never see. Cataldo showed real heart.
    Seb Heano is a class apart and cant wait to see him and his cousin racing together, hopefully at another team.
    Was great to see Arredondo giving it a good go all the time and getting rewarded.
    Team Colombia showed great determination and it is a shame they didn't get their stage win. Excellent performance by a small, low budget team.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Well, if he drafted that himself he can always get a job as a speech writer! Even got in the political plug - though I doubt that many Colombians would concur that "Life is peaceful and good" given

"Population below poverty line:
    32.7% (2012 est.)

Household income or consumption by percentage share:

lowest 10%: 0.9%
    highest 10%: 44.4% (2010 est.)" (source CIA Country Profile).
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Tremendous 3 weeks entertainment.

The Giro has been pretty good too. There's a good case to be made that the racing is far more exciting and unpredictable if the elite show-ponies are missing. But how much better would it be if the elite could only ride 95% because they had to keep legs fresh for the Tour?

21 spoiler threads and if the word 'doping' has been mentioned more than 10 times I'd be surprised. (Cue Big Daddy of Big Data). Why did the doperati find nothing suspicious in an utterly dominant 3rd week GT performance from a rider who was sick for 75% of the race? Hard to avoid the conclusion that the most damning evidence against Wiggins and Froome is their passports.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • rick_chasey
    Macaloon wrote:

21 spoiler threads and if the word 'doping' has been mentioned more than 10 times I'd be surprised. (Cue Big Daddy of Big Data). Why did the doperati find nothing suspicious in an utterly dominant 3rd week GT performance from a rider who was sick for 75% of the race? Hard to avoid the conclusion that the most damning evidence against Wiggins and Froome is their passports.

I can answer that one.

It illustrates the gap in quality between the Tour and the Giro.

It's a different league. Same reason the Conti teams are so much more competitive in the Giro.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Is there any chance Quintana will ride the tour?
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Macaloon wrote:

The Giro has been pretty good too. There's a good case to be made that the racing is far more exciting and unpredictable if the elite show-ponies are missing. But how much better would it be if the elite could only ride 95% because they had to keep legs fresh for the Tour?

What has Wiggins and Froome got to do with anything? You think they are the only riders suspected of doping?
    Who cares, this thread is about the Giro not W&F. Quintana climbed fantastic in the last few days and it's a shame he's not going to be at the tour. It was very exciting racing. Just faded a bit for me when Little Q got such a big lead.I said previously it would be great if Contador and Froome gave the Giro a go next year.
  • Macaloon
    What has Wiggins and Froome got to do with anything? You think they are the only riders suspected of doping?
    Who cares, this thread is about the Giro not W&F.

You may not have read the forum during previous Grand Tours. Dominance a la Quintana (completely expected) brought an infestation of trolls.

Perhaps the answer lies in people being discriminating about the level of competition as suggested by Rick. But that level of objectivity quickly goes out the window when Wiggins (most dominant season ever in historyTM) or Froome (most transformed and dominant athlete since WigginsTM) ride.

Sorry you don't think this contrast is interesting.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Macaloon wrote:

with regards to the lack of doping chat, Something I've noticed more and more is that the riders look absolutely knackered after a tough stage. People have been saying it for a while but i really noticed it in this giro.

Also on the subject of yesterday's sprint, I thought the overhead shot was great to watch, with all the barging and Mezgec getting pushed out by a few riders, but then blasting past Ferrari at quite a speed. I rewatched it a few times because it looked pretty epic. I'd find a vid but Im at work and can't do that really.
  • frenchfighter
    Macaloon wrote:

You may not have read the forum during previous Grand Tours. Dominance a la Quintana (completely expected) brought an infestation of trolls.

Perhaps the answer lies in people being discriminating about the level of competition as suggested by Rick. But that level of objectivity quickly goes out the window when Wiggins (most dominant season ever in historyTM) or Froome (most transformed and dominant athlete since WigginsTM) ride.

Quintana is a fuoriclasse who has been ripping up the road race scene since he first got on a bike just like Contador. The same cant be said of the two you mentionned. I saw nothing 'utterly dominant'. Believable performances on the whole this Giro.

The competition was pretty high. You didn't have Kwiatek and Nibali who would have done well (especially the latter) but doubt they would have beaten Quintana. Contador would likely have beaten him. Froome...who knows what form he has.

9391754721_de1642f075_z.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tuneskyline
    Macaloon wrote:

Isn't that a good thing. No one is talking about doping at this Giro. Perhaps another thread may be a better option if you think some kind injustice has been done to W&F.
  • Macaloon
    BpHpTNACEAIt2YH.jpg

Rigoberto Urán ‏@UranRigoberto 1m
    Señores aquí ya tengo mi nueva camisa, espero pues que les gusté!!! pic.twitter.com/PMSanAuSdN

Who belongs to the varnished toes, "Rigo"???
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Macaloon wrote:

I have a strong feeling that they not only read it but actively contributed under a different pseudonym!
  • frenchfighter
    The only thing i wanted to pick up with Quintana's comments was that he mentions 2012...Uran joined Caisse in 2008 but he was the trailblazer for Colombians.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    495071359_3151798.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    It was nice to see Quintana smile at the end, I was beginning to think he'd over-dosed on Botox all race as he just never showed a glimmer of emotion on his face for any of the time I watched. I've never seen anyone so capable of maintaining a poker face, it must make life tough for his opponents.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    He is king of the poker face, I'm sure in one of the really steep bits I saw him taking a casual swig from his bidon
  • tuneskyline
    Paul 8v wrote:
    He is king of the poker face, I'm sure in one of the really steep bits I saw him taking a casual swig from his bidon

I saw that. I thought to myself "he's taking a casual swig from his bidon" I even said to my neighbour who popped round for a chat that " he's taking a casual swig from his bidon" Can someone confirm that it was a casual swig from his bidon or was it that he made drinking from a bidon look easy and infact he was on his limit and it was not casual.
  • Macaloon
    Nairo has previous, from San Luis:

quinbur135.jpg

tsl_072.jpg
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    The only thing i wanted to pick up with Quintana's comments was that he mentions 2012...Uran joined Caisse in 2008 but he was the trailblazer for Colombians.

Mauricio Soler and Rigoberto Uran have been the two riders who have lead the charge for the current generation of Colombian riders. It seems like Uran has been around forever and he is only 27. He has been a European pro since 19 though so he already has a lengthy career behind him and he still hasn't reached his peak yet.

DD.