Best Trail Centre?

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Love the idea of guys with 2 and 3K bikes complaining about a couple of quid to ride a park.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The difference with BPW is that it has to make a profit to survive, other trail centres don't. That's why they have to charge more.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Love the idea of guys with 2 and 3K bikes complaining about a couple of quid to ride a park.

I actually don't particularly like it there. It's not a bad place to ride, but there's better riding more local to me.

The point about expensive bikes has been raised before, I saved BLOODY hard to get my bike. Just cos I have an expensive bike (or other people) doesnt mean I have money.
  • rockmonkeysc
    For me the best bit about BPW is that although it gets really busy there have been days when I have pretty much had Enter The Dragon to myself. Other than the odd xc rider having a wobble down swearing a lot and never riding it again it doesn't seem to get much traffic despite being a superb trail. There are some shocking braking bumps though, some of them in strange places.
    I can't wait to race on Enter The Dragon again later this year, it's going to be nuts :-)
  • Angus Young
    welshkev wrote:
    I saved BLOODY hard to get my bike. Just cos I have an expensive bike (or other people) doesnt mean I have money.

That's like buying a Lamborghini then complaining about the cost of petrol.
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:
    I saved BLOODY hard to get my bike. Just cos I have an expensive bike (or other people) doesnt mean I have money.

That has got to be one of the shittest answers ever!

As said above, I can ride better trails for free. So, no it's not at all like your analogy.
  • Angus Young
    welshkev wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

As said above, I can ride better trails for free. So, no it's not at all like your analogy.

So which is it - you can ride better for free, or you spent all the money on the bike?
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I've not been to BPW, but a fiver for all day riding doesnt seem bad. It's £3 to park at Glyncorrwg (I always go on my own so the car/ rider distinction doesnt apply to me), so its only a couple of quid more.

I have a very simple way of deciding on whether something is good value, I compare the price to the price of a pint, if it is more fun or lasts longer than the corresponding time for however many pints it would buy then its good value. A fiver is under 2 pints in many places these days ( :cry: ) so it equates to 1/2 an hour or 40 mins in the pub, its probably more fun and its better for you. Good value, simples :lol:
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

So which is it - you can ride better for free, or you spent all the money on the bike?

You're missing the point here. My point was that your assumption that all people who ride expensive bikes have money to burn is wrong.
  • Angus Young
    welshkev wrote:
    You're missing the point here. My point was that your assumption that all people who ride expensive bikes have money to burn is wrong.

Talking of missing the point, my assumption wasn't that people with expensive bikes have money to burn. My point was, exactly as I said, the absurdity of people who ride 3K bikes fretting over a couple of quid here or there.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    welshkev wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

This. I worked on minimum wage for nearly a year to buy my Ibis, and I got it 6 months before I went to uni so every penny was earned before people start :lol: If I had better trails that I could ride for free I'd ride those more often than those that weren't as good but cost money to ride, but that has little to do with money, that's just a preference towards the better trails. Worth remembering that Kev is a local so will know the trails better than most, so for a lot of folks BPW will be the best around, simply because they don't know anything else to ride.
  • Angus Young
    lawman wrote:
    This. I worked on minimum wage for nearly a year to buy my Ibis, and I got it 6 months before I went to uni so every penny was earned before people start :lol: If I had better trails that I could ride for free I'd ride those more often than those that weren't as good but cost money to ride, but that has little to do with money, that's just a preference towards the better trails. Worth remembering that Kev is a local so will know the trails better than most, so for a lot of folks BPW will be the best around, simply because they don't know anything else to ride.

That's a confused response from someone whom, from your screen name, I assume is studying law at Uni. Riding better trails for free is an entirely different(and entirely sensible) thing from objecting to what are reasonable costs, in the greater scheme of things, for riding parks.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why does everything have to be a battle with you?
  • Angus Young
    Why does everything have to be a battle with you?

So I take it then you find nothing curious about people who own 3K bikes complaining about a couple of quid to ride a park?
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:

That's a confused response from someone whom, from your screen name, I assume is studying law at Uni. Riding better trails for free is an entirely different(and entirely sensible) thing from objecting to what are reasonable costs, in the greater scheme of things, for riding parks.

Not even close :lol: law is my last name and it's a nickname I've had since secondary school :lol:

I also think places like BPW are reasonable, sure if you want to ride there once a week it's gonna get expensive but as a luxury trip once a month or so it's not too bad, I'm very keen to go back :)
  • Angus Young
    lawman wrote:
    Not even close :lol: law is my last name and it's a nickname I've had since secondary school :lol:

Ah, sorry, I thought I remembered you mentioning that some time ago. My bad.
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:

I work at a solicitors but I didn't do my degree in Law :) Tbf I wouldn't want a career in law, it's fecking awful! :lol: First piece of advice the lawyers gave my mate who is studying law was unless you get into big money corporate law don't bother! :lol:
  • Angus Young
    lawman wrote:
    lawman wrote:

I work at a solicitors but I didn't do my degree in Law :)

Ah, must have been that I remembered.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Although, there isnt much stopping you riding it at night. Quite a few local clubs park at the bottom gate and just ride up.

Bear in mind that I've never been to a bike park, but what's to stop people just turning up on their bikes and riding for free any time of day, given that these things cover half a mountain. Are they surrounded by fifteen foot barbed wire fences and sentry posts?

Since there are rights of way though a lot of it, frankly impossible.

I wish them luck, though since my folks live in the Brecon Beacons and due to location riding starts once though the garden gate, and with access to the hills and with old workings near as well plenty of different riding to be had.

I've yet to bother with BPW or CC though many years ago went to Afan. On old rigid bikes...
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:

Talking of missing the point, my assumption wasn't that people with expensive bikes have money to burn. My point was, exactly as I said, the absurdity of people who ride 3K bikes fretting over a couple of quid here or there.

we'll agree to disagree on that one. I have a family and a failed business that sucks up all my cash. just cos I saved for over a year to be able to afford my bike doesn't mean that I have spare cash, as I've already said.

so my point still stands. a fiver a few times a week versus free, or a quid if I ride cc does make the difference to some people (myself included).

I think lawman hit it on the head with his once a month trip comment. I've mentioned this previously, if you're visiting for all day then a fiver isn't too bad. but if like me you very rarely get the luxury to ride all day then I'd rather not spend the fiver for just a couple of hours. call me tight, absurd or whatever, hundreds/thousands of people disagree with me as the popularity of bpw shows, I'm cool with that :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    I agree. Just because you saved hard to buy a bike doesn't mean you should have plenty of spare cash for paying for riding.
  • Angus Young
    I agree. Just because you saved hard to buy a bike doesn't mean you should have plenty of spare cash for paying for riding.

That's the point, it's not 'plenty' of spare cash. It's a couple of quid. That's the point of the Lamborghini analogy – your finances are seriously out of whack if you can't afford a couple of quid while you've got a 3K bike sitting in the shed.
  • welshkev

That's the point, it's not 'plenty' of spare cash. It's a couple of quid. That's the point of the Lamborghini analogy – your finances are seriously out of whack if you can't afford a couple of quid while you've got a 3K bike sitting in the shed.
    Please re-read the first line of my last post and then you may understand.
  • Angus Young
    welshkev wrote:

Please re-read the first line of my last post and then you may understand.

Doesn't the first line of your last post validate my point? (Though none of this is pointed particularly at you).
  • welshkev
    Yes and no.

If I had the bike on credit and was still paying for it then you could say I should sell it and have the spare cash to pay for other things.

But I own the bike, if I was to sell it I'd lose a lot if cash and not be able to buy another bike as I wouldn't be able to save as I had previously.

Aaaanny way, this is going way off topic :lol:
  • Angus Young
    welshkev wrote:
    Aaaanny way, this is going way off topic :lol:

True.

My original point was simply that a fiver is not the great rip off that some here are claiming. Especially when compared to the alternatives such as the afore mentioned beer equation, an hour in your local vat of pïss... err, swimming pool or, say, seven quid and up to sit through 2 hours of Hollywood's latest dross at your local multiplex.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369

value for money doesn't change the more money you have.
  • Angus Young
    POAH wrote:

value for money doesn't change the more money you have.

Haven't we already established we're not talking about having excess money?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Back on subject. Has anyone been to Haldon Forest in Devon?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Back on subject. Has anyone been to Haldon Forest in Devon?

no too expensive :lol: