Best Trail Centre?

Comments

• DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    I couldn't give a monkeys if its a trail centre or not. Time on my bike has to be booked in so I dont really care if its a trail centre, the important thing is its time biking. My fave place to ride is Antur Stiniog.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Of my limited Trail Centre experience (Cwmcarn, Sherwood, Cannock, and FoD), I thoroughly enjoyed FoD - the blue (Verderers?) is an excellent 'XC' trail and arguably much more technical than the Reds at Sherwood/Cannock (my locals). Can't wait to see what the expansion and the 417Uplift just down the road adds to the scene.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Something is wrong if there red trails which are less technical than verderers. I like verderes, its a good fun trail but it's not at all technical.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Depends how fast you go. You're clearly slow.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Going faster doesn't make it more technical. A blue trail is a blue trail no matter how fast you ride it. The features don't suddenly appear or get bigger.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Trails get more difficult to ride the faster you ride them, obstacles appear faster, it's common sense.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    But a trail doesn't become more technical. A simple trail ridden fast may be more difficult but not more technical.
    On verderers it's just berms and rollers. Very easy to ride scary fast on the final descent. There are a few jumps but they are so friendly to ride, never harsh.
  • Cookeh
    I agree, Sherwood and Cannock should be downgraded - but as it stands they are reds and they are less technical than Verderers by quite some margin imo. Also may not be that technical for you, but it is for someone who went there on their third ever mtb trip :P In hindsight, is it that technical? No, not really, but for someone inexperienced, going faster than they have ridden before, on a new trail, I found it pretty technical! :D
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    By virtue of how rutted it is, and how liable you are to wash out on a load of gravel mid corner, I'd say Cannock is more "technical" than the red route at Llandegla, which is like a lovely magic carpet in comparison. Only thing more difficult comes through the likelihood of becoming airbourne at 'Degla in my books, you have to make a deliberate effort to do so over Cannock.

Penmachno & Coed Y Brenin do the techy stuff better for me though, jagged rocks ftw.
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Out of the few I've been to Whinlatter is my favourite, good mix of most things on the three trails. Decent facilities and an adventure playground for the kids, which the wife can take them to when I'm off biking :lol:

Going there tomorrow as it's only 20mins away.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Cookeh
    Cannock has had (and is still having) its trails revamped, fewer ruts, fewer massive 'potholes' in the corners from people slamming on the brakes.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    To my way of thinking evolution of a trail is part of it being used - if a trail becomes more tech as a result of a bit of use that should be allowed to happen or the trail should be built to not erode over time in the first place.

Trail centres give you a sanitised view of riding - great fun for the day and odd visit but if that is all you ride you are missing a lot - I hate to sound like some kind of "natural" riding evangelist but there is so much good stuff out there that might actually warrant those 150mm big travel trail bikes you owe it to yourselves to go and explore.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Festerfeet
    Festerfeet Posts: 90
    I think you are all very lucky having so many places to ride in a relatively safe environment. There are no officially sanctioned trail centres in China. There are attempts to put together races on agricultural land but they tend to only survive a few years at most as land sales are the currency that is fuelling local government modernisation.

I am not complaining as there are advantages to this, including the chance to ride in mountains breathtakingly beautiful that have never been touched by MTB-ers.

It would be nice occaisionally to just turn up on prepared trails with facilities like bike maintenance, showers and cake shops just to see what it is like.

I read a lot in the news about the negative things happening in the UK so it is great to hear about the positive things like new trail centres opening, expanding or being planned. I celebrate the fact there're so many people willing to give their time to a recreation that is both good for the soul as well as the body.

Enjoy what you have and help make it better, if every rider gave up a couple of days a year to trail maintenance and building you would have even more opportunities to ride what you want.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    FOD = less technical than Cannock elevation doesn't make techincal.

personally my favourite trail centre is Cwm my local, one of the few trail centres that leave most of the natural rocks and wear in place :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    FoD less technical than Cannock?????
    The easiest trail at FoD is less technical than the most technical at Cannock but there are several red trails at FoD which are technical enough for downhill races to be held on them regularly.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    For once I agree with rocket monkey. FoD is 100% a blue trail and there's nothing technical about it at all.

It is great fun though :)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    The easiest trail at FoD is less technical than the most technical at Cannock but there are several red trails at FoD which are technical enough for downhill races to be held on them regularly.

There are several DH routes yarp. but the XC routes are pretty simple affairs, most people here are talking about xc trails not DH stuff for the most part so i left it at that.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Coed-y-Brenin. Great variety of riding, loads of trails, some off piste stuff if you get a friendly local to show you.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc

There are several DH routes yarp. but the XC routes are pretty simple affairs, most people here are talking about xc trails not DH stuff for the most part so i left it at that.

Even the red xc trail at FoD is more tech than the red at Cannock. Cannock is the third most boring place I have ridden (Swinley and Ashton Court are more boring)
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Yep, I don't get the love for Swinley. It's an ongoing "discussion" I have with someone on another forum, it's just like a road ride.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Obviously not everyone is a super gnarrly DH god.

It's close to civilisation, has enough variety, especially off piste.

And did I mention it's close to civilisation?

I wouldn't travel hours to get there, but as a back garden it's not bad.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I found cannock quite tech, but in the wrong way. Trees super close together, some fairly steep rock gardens in the black offshoots with flat corners at the bottom, and did i mention the super tight trees?! Made for some slightly scary riding, especially in the pissing wet. It wasn't the sort of tech I enjoy though, it felt more like the only reason it was difficult was because the trails had been badly built. And then there was the unending pedalling between the (few) good sections. There were one or two descents near the end that i remember being fun, that was about it though.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    cooldad wrote:
    Obviously not everyone is a super gnarrly DH god.

It's close to civilisation, has enough variety, especially off piste.

And did I mention it's close to civilisation?

I wouldn't travel hours to get there, but as a back garden it's not bad.

Swinly is close to Slough, surely that's a big enough negative no matter how good the riding is?
    The trails are so boring though, Swinley sucks hairy dog balls.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    WTF ^^

Riding a mountain bike is riding a moutain bike, it's what you make of it. If you put more effort into getting there then you expect more out of it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Swinley trails are flat and featureless. It's nice to ride a bike but everywhere else I can think of to ride is much more fun, even Cannock is better.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Golspie is great - don't know how it compares with trail centres down south though.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    But if you do the swinley trails flat out and non stop the can still be fun. Slow and gnarly is my preferred trail type, but ' flat and featureless' is still fun if done mega quick and non stop ( ie blue plus red loops in 1:30 hrs)
  • rockmonkeysc
    Swinley is no fun at any speed. Even the cafe is sh1t
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Riding a featureless trail fast isn't always going to make it fun.

I guess riding what's available is always the main reason people ride places like swinley (I've never been)

But I have ridden Ashton court and it was ok to kill some time, but I wouldn't go back unless I was wasting time to meet someone again. I did 3 laps, tried going as fast as I could and it was still pretty dull :lol:

On a similar note - how far is swinley from sunbury?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    welshkev wrote:
    Riding a featureless trail fast isn't always going to make it fun.

I guess riding what's available is always the main reason people ride places like swinley (I've never been)

But I have ridden Ashton court and it was ok to kill some time, but I wouldn't go back unless I was wasting time to meet someone again. I did 3 laps, tried going as fast as I could and it was still pretty dull :lol:

On a similar note - how far is swinley from sunbury?
    Lazy farker
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools