Golden Rules & Easy Mistakes

2»

Comments

• motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Don't try and clip back in half way up a steep hill.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Remember a cyclist's 'average speed' is akin to the fisherman's 'one that got away'
  • bikerMau5
    bikerMau5 Posts: 32
    wow, thanks for all the responses, some excellent advise!

Wish my bike would bloody turn up!
  • bikerMau5
    Schoie81 wrote:
    Other than that, take note of SecretSam's wise words - cake really does matter!! The more you ride, the more cake you should eat.

Cake? Is this like an inside joke or do you actually mean good old cake? lol
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    If cycling with others in winter fit mudguards.

In groups point out obstacles to following riders.

Take a Powerlink with you in case your chain breaks.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    bikerMau5 wrote:
    Schoie81 wrote:
    Other than that, take note of SecretSam's wise words - cake really does matter!! The more you ride, the more cake you should eat.

Yes, cake as in er, cake

There's a whole forum on here called "Cake Stop", for general chat about almost anything

If you look in C+, for example, they have a regular item "cake stop of the month"

Cake. You know it makes sense. Certainly more sense than UKIP :D

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    ;-)
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    bikerMau5 wrote:
    Schoie81 wrote:

well where else are you cycling to, if its not to get cake :) and coffee too, coffee is important, coffee goes with cake.

other than that just enjoy it, cyclings great and its meant to be fun, so dont blow a gasket trying to cope with some of the crazy way other road users treat you as it wont make you feel better, or trying to match too closely the efforts or claimed efforts others are cycling to, they may be doing it wrong for one
  • pandazoo
    pandazoo Posts: 95
    Keep to the lanes and enjoy the scenery, ohh and watch out for cars pulling out of pubs :)
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Don't be forced into wearing a helmet* if you don't want to. Wear a helmet as a pedestrian or whilst
    travelling in a motor vehicle if you wish. Pedestrians and travellers in motor vehicles have been known
    to suffer head trauma whilst involved in accidents/collisions.

*(otoh, the magic properties of these have been known to save lives. Many cyclists attest to this)
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    De Sisti wrote:
    Don't be forced into wearing a helmet* if you don't want to. Wear a helmet as a pedestrian or whilst
    travelling in a motor vehicle if you wish. Pedestrians and travellers in motor vehicles have been known
    to suffer head trauma whilst involved in accidents/collisions.

*(otoh, the magic properties of these have been known to save lives. Many cyclists attest to this)

At a bit of a loose end today? ;)
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    Use your bike to explore your local area - you will probably find lots of roads and lanes that are lovely to ride that you wouldn't have noticed when passing in a car. Getting lost can be fun!

Have a number of routes in your head so that you can go out on your own without having to be led on a group ride - its remarkable how many of the group I ride with only seem to know one or two routes and rely on others to lead rides.

Remember where all the public toilets are, so you can plan a comfort break rather than having to stop at the side of the road.

And finally remember where the best cake stops are!
  • simonl83
    simonl83 Posts: 26
    Brake first, before you check behind you. I went over the handlebars today after looking behind to check whether I could move out to pass a bus that had stopped. Saw that I couldn't, and when I looked forwards again there was a stationary car 5 metres in front of me. Still, at least the brakes are working well.

I'll second that. I wish somebody had told me that before I started.
    2014 Giant Defy 1
    2011 Dawes Discovery 501 Deore Hybrid
    2019 Claud Butler Alpina 29 MTB
  • bikerMau5
    Amazed at all the excellent advice given on here. My sincere gratitude to all!

Still no bike btw, as I'm obliged to purchase from Helfords, they've now stopped stocking the TDF 2011 which was my starting choice (on a bit of a budget) and replaced it with the new TDF, which having considered is a bit Mickey Mouse.

I've been told that halfords have the bests deals running upto the Tour, so I'm hoping to spot a bargain in the next week or so, good things come to those who wait...