Golden Rules & Easy Mistakes

bikerMau5
bikerMau5 Posts: 32
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
Hey,

I'm completely new to Road Biking (my bike hasn't even arrived yet!)

I was wondering if you seasoned cyclists could offer any golden rules & easy mistakes, any tips, pointers general starting advise would be excellent.

Thanks in advance

BM

Comments

• JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    As some point you will come across "the rules".

They can safely be ignored. For the most part.
  • bikerMau5
    The rules? Okay I'm intrigued, anyone care to elaborate?
  • littledove44
    littledove44 Posts: 871
    http://www.velominati.com/the-rules

Some people say it's just a bit of fun.
    Some people say it's like the bible.

You be the judge.
  • bikerMau5
    Thanks, oxoman, great advice.
  • Slo Mo Jones
    Slo Mo Jones Posts: 272
    Brake first, before you check behind you. I went over the handlebars today after looking behind to check whether I could move out to pass a bus that had stopped. Saw that I couldn't, and when I looked forwards again there was a stationary car 5 metres in front of me. Still, at least the brakes are working well.
  • eyepic
    eyepic Posts: 58
    Good words from Oxman except ... If you don't wear a helmet you are a twonk (Darwin theory ....rules)
  • bikerMau5
    SloMo, that's sound painful! But I agree about the helmet, definitely not optional for me!

Had a read through the rules, some are great, some not so much.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Hydration is very important.

I rode with a friend a few weeks back and was shocked he didn't carry a pump or spare tubes. I think these are essential as you'd be gutted if you punctured > 10 miles from home and had to walk it.

Expect cars and people to pull out or step out in front of you.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Buy quality clothes, before fancy new bike bits. Comfort while riding makes everything nicer all the time.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    balthazar wrote:
    Buy quality clothes, before fancy new bike bits. Comfort while riding makes everything nicer all the time.

I was just about to post much the same thing. Especially true in the winter. I wish I had budgeted a little less for the bike and more for clothing when I started out.

Rob
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Remember that cadence is your friend. Spin those legs like they do in the pro peloton and you won't knacker your knees
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    balthazar wrote:
    Yes, but that doesnt include dressing from head to toe in some Pro team kit...
    a) usually it is of inferior fit and quality (technical wear is actually very technical to keep you warm, dry , comfortable or whatever).. even worse if you buy it off Cheebay and its fakes
    b) professional riders get paid to wear, you don't.. cycling is not football.. just because it is for sale does not make it right
    c) Endura, Exteondo,Castelli and loads more manufacturers offer up some astounding kit... in plain or in their own designs.. rejoice in not being a skheep.
  • Nick_M
    Nick_M Posts: 58
    Buy and read Cyclecraft. Seriously. Most of us assume we can just get on a bike and ride safely because we had them as kids (I know I did). However, much of what we remember from childhood or think we know about cycling from driving cars can be potentially dangerous. Cyclecraft explains how to ride defensively in traffic. Lots of great strategies for negotiating roundabouts, junctions etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyclecraft-comp ... 0117037400
  • Nick_M
    Nick_M Posts: 58
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Remember that cadence is your friend. Spin those legs like they do in the pro peloton and you won't knacker your knees

This as well :)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Ride your bike. Many cyclists seem to overlook this.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @nick-m... Yes, I thought I could ride a bike because I rode a bike when I was a kid. A couple of years and 12 k later, I'm still learning to ride a bike. Skill and confidence take time. Just get out and enjoy
  • BrandonS
    BrandonS Posts: 17
    Get a saddle bag and carry:
      Spare Tube MiniPump or CO2 Cartridges Tire levers Extra Money (in case you run out of water, need a snack, need a taxi; this is your "emergency fund")

-Take the lane when you ride; I'd ride where the outside tires of most cars go. It'll be smoother, as well as, push cars out around you.
    -When you are riding make eye contact with people at intersections to make sure they see you.
    -Watch out for people pulling out of parking lots, follow above.
    -I always have a back blinker light on; day or night
    -If you ride anwhere from dusk to dawn; USE LIGHTS and not those 3 dollar single LED things that look like a keychain
    -Purchase the best you can afford; but don't go bankrupt. Cycling is about having as much fun as you are exercising IMO and if you spend all your money it takes away from the fun.
    -When you don't feel like riding due to simple lack of motivation, just go ride. You'll suddenly feel good a few miles in and you'll be glad you left your house.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    I learnt a lot of things the hard way when I started. But I guess its part of the fun.

I bought a lot of cheap kit when i started and after 18 months most of it is in the bin and has been replaced with more expensive but better quality gear. Good quality bib shorts are a must IMO. And for me - decent socks. My feet sweat a lot and since spending money on a few pairs of decent cycling socks my feet have felt much more comfortable

Ensure you always have enough food if you are riding longer rides than you are used to. Unfortunately this is trial and error and i am still learning exactly how much i need when im riding longer rides. But taking too much is better than not enough.

Dont rely too much on your LBS to sort out every creak and click. I did this at first but i am now finding that i really enjoy sorting things myself and most things are really simple.

Always give yourself plenty of space when riding along a line of parked cars. Plenty of times i am glad i was when somebody opens their car door without looking

Glasses - Wear them regardless of weather conditions. A fly in the eye at 20mph can REALLY hurt. So can driving rain and even the lightest wind can have your eyes streaming

Dont get disheartened if you find it tough to begin with. When i got my 1st bike i thought i could ride 20/30 miles no problem. My 1st ride i managed about 7 miles and had to stop 3 times as i was blowing out of ar5e.

Enjoy riding and be prepared to spend every spare penny you have on new cycling gear ;)
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    Get out and ride. Ride as much as you can.
    Forget about average speed.
    Make friends with your credit card. (You'll find out)
    Drink enough
    Eat enough
    Learn how to clean and maintain the bike
    Buy good quality shorts (you'll find out)
    Take enough spares to get home
    Most important of all.....Enjoy your bike
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Have the good manners to acknowledge other cyclists. It's expected
    Always ask if a cyclist stopped with an obvious vidit from the fairy or mechanical needs help
    Don't forget it's supposed to be fun. Ignore Superman stories of heroic speeds, etc
    If you do get prpper kit (and you should), face facts: you will look a tit off the bike
    Cake matters

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • MJKCubed
    MJKCubed Posts: 4
    Cycling is like a religion to many and like religion there are a million opinions about it.

My advice would be.

Ride what you want. Wear what you want. Eat what works for you. Drink when you feel like it. Ride. Ride some more. Mentally 'bottle' a sunny day, you will need that memory on a winter day.

Last but not least, make sure a cyclist on their feet at the side of the road is ok. One day it could be you who has run out of tubes begging for a samaritan.
  • solosuperia
    solosuperia Posts: 333
    Just flicking through and bumped into this thread..............
    Jesus wept I have been riding a bike for more years than I care to remember.
    I didn't realise it was so complicated.
    If this thread doesn't put people off, the toughest conditions they encounter will be a piece of cake!
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    One thing I learnt last night after 9 months (ish) of road biking - don't suffer the same puncture twice. Three weeks ago I got a flat, fixed the tube found the hole in the tyre and was satisfied the offending article had removed itself. Got home last night, had a shower and something to eat, walked past the bike and noticed the front tyre was flat again. Tube out, found hole and I'm thinking, I'm sure that's in the same place as the last one. Checked tyre, found the hole, could not see anything or feel anything in it. Washed it, looked closer, still nothing, finally tried flexing the tyre and sure enough, within the thickness of the rubber in the tyre was a tiny shard of glass. I'm convinced it is responsible for both punctures, and I've ridden nearly 100miles on it inbetween, but must have hit a bump right on that bit of tyre last night and that did the tube. Will be checking more carefully in future!!

Other than that, take note of SecretSam's wise words - cake really does matter!! The more you ride, the more cake you should eat.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    DO NOT under any circumstances start using Strava. If you've never heard of it, keep it that way and DO NOT google it.

You have been warned :lol:
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • stringybob
    stringybob Posts: 64
    Never go out with your helmet on the wrong way round. Not that I have ever done that. Nope, not me.
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Stringybob wrote:
    Never go out with your helmet on the wrong way round. Not that I have ever done that. Nope, not me.

Beware triathletes :lol:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    SecretSam wrote:
    Have the good manners to acknowledge other cyclists. It's expected
    It does get a bit tedious though for the 50th time on a Sunday morning when yet again it's time to raise the hand, nod and speak. I wonder if there's ever been a thread on here specifically about the merits or otherwise of acknowledging other riders...

Golden Rule: learn how to maintain your bike, and don't be scared of doing mad speeds.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    If a cyclist passes you, immediately jump on his wheel for the next 2 miles before sprinting past them in a heavily populated area.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    handful wrote:
    DO NOT under any circumstances start using Strava. If you've never heard of it, keep it that way and DO NOT google it.

You have been warned :lol:

But keep in mind that if you don't use Strava, none of your rides will count and you will get zero training benefit from them.
  • clickrumble
    clickrumble Posts: 304
    If other road users act stupidly, dangerously or just annoy you, just chill. You've no need to react, they are lesser beings who aren't worth the effort.