Ditchling Devil

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited June 2014 in Commuting chat
Looks like a couple of us are signed up for this at least. Anyone else braving it? It's about the only Audax that starts in a convenient place for me and the route looks good fun, just hope the weather gets a bit better!
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Not around for this one but I am doing the straight out of hackney in August. I might do the route later in the year if there is nothing else about.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Plenty from my club have signed up. But also plenty are doing the herts wheelers 200.

I'll be at home eating cake.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I'm in, will be eating cake at the stops en route no doubt.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Will sign up on the weekend, should try and have a little BR SCR group ride...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    Myself and a mate are in for this. I think "leisurely" is the best term for my approach to this one. One ride this year longer than 35 miles due to unforeseen circumstances (baby). I'll probably be on a black Ritte. See you there!
  • veronese68
    I'll be on a bright green Kinesis Pro6 with guards on. I think it will have to be reasonably leisurely as I won't finish if I go too fast.
  • menthel
    Not around for this one but I am doing the straight out of hackney in August. I might do the route later in the year if there is nothing else about.

I am going to do the Hackney ride too.

For the devil those doing it should try and meet.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • veronese68
    Indeed, just read the email for the event and they are asking people to get there for 7.30 for an 8am start. We could say we'll gather at the far end of the courtyard in front of the windmill cafe. Opposite end to the toilets that is, 7.45ish.
  • menthel
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Indeed, just read the email for the event and they are asking people to get there for 7.30 for an 8am start. We could say we'll gather at the far end of the courtyard in front of the windmill cafe. Opposite end to the toilets that is, 7.45ish.

Sounds good to me.
    RIP commute...
  • rubertoe
    ShandyH wrote:
    Myself and a mate are in for this. I think "leisurely" is the best term for my approach to this one. One ride this year longer than 35 miles due to unforeseen circumstances (baby). I'll probably be on a black Ritte. See you there!

Surely you knew? :wink:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• goonz
    rubertoe wrote:
    ShandyH wrote:

Surely you knew? :wink:

:lol::lol:
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    I thought it was just a bad case of wind.

Baby foreseen. Lack of training or any long rides totally unforeseen - thought I was going to sit on the turbo rocking a baby for hours whilst making silly faces. Weirdly it hasn't worked out that way.
  • rubertoe
    ShandyH wrote:
    I thought it was just a bad case of wind.

Baby foreseen. Lack of training or any long rides totally unforeseen - thought I was going to sit on the turbo rocking a baby for hours whilst making silly faces. Weirdly it hasn't worked out that way.

I know what you mean - i have a 5 month old. My 8000 mile target for the year has gone way out the window.

• goonz
    Thats why I refuse bluntly when the missus tells me she wants a baby. Nothing is getting inbetween me and the bike.

Famous last words.
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Just signed up. See you at 7:45 :)
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • menthel
    leeefm wrote:

Excellent, will see you there!
    RIP commute...
  • veronese68
    menthel wrote:
    leeefm wrote:

Excellent, will see you there!
    If I remember the post correctly I think I might get bike envy.
    Goonz, did you get in?
  • goonz
    Ah im in 2 minds now. Just did KOtD and the wife was not too happy about me being out all day! Dont think I can get away with it 2 weekends in a row!

Any chance I can sign up on the day? Or will it be sold out?
  • menthel
    goonz wrote:
    Ah im in 2 minds now. Just did KOtD and the wife was not too happy about me being out all day! Dont think I can get away with it 2 weekends in a row!

Any chance I can sign up on the day? Or will it be sold out?

Not sure they will take entries on the day. I think it's nearly full.
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    Although it doesn't specify no entries on the line.
    RIP commute...
  • veronese68
    You could email and ask. It's not worth falling out with the Mrs for, a quiet life is a wonderful thing.
  • leeefm
    Entries now closed :(
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • menthel
    leeefm wrote:
    Entries now closed :(

Some audax organisers do allow entries on the line, dependant on field size and whether or not they want to. As suggested above, Paul could be emailed to ask.

Edit- looking at his website it actually says the event is sold out. Bit of a shame but should mean a good sized field.
    RIP commute...
  • Could you not just ride the route ?
  • menthel
    Could you not just ride the route ?

You could but then you wouldn't get all the tasty audax treats on the way or have the fun of getting your brevet signed! ;)
    RIP commute...
  • leeefm
    Mate of mine missed entry. Was wondering if it was poor form for him to tag along?
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • menthel
    leeefm wrote:
    Mate of mine missed entry. Was wondering if it was poor form for him to tag along?

The fee pays for the food and drink supplied and the administrative side of things, so as long as he doesn't partake in this no one will mind him riding the route I am sure!
    RIP commute...
  • goonz
  • leeefm
    Interesting. Forwarding to mate as we speak... (or err... type)
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • leeefm
    Mate's in... At least he's "legit" now. I doubt he'll qualify for food and the like (being as it was free)
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon