strained back muscle - painkillers or not?

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
Firstly, I know it's a pulled muscle or ligament - classic stupid situation of twisting during lifting while helping someone move flat yesterday.. :wink: Acute, lower back, and on one side only.

I'm not one for taking painkillers if it delays the healing process, but will an anti-inflammatory help or hinder the speed of recovery? Is this maybe still a bit controversial? Isn't inflammation all about healing in any case?

It's bearable but has me off the bike, and I just want to do whatever will lead to the quickest recovery. I'd like to be training again early next week for a race a week on Sunday if possible...

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    hopefully u r better now, for me I take NSAIDS for back injury, the advice I ve been given, is that with backs, inflammation slows healing as it restricts blood flow to injured area, very light exercise and some stretching, also seems to help, rest just prolongs the issue.
    Hot and cold compresses, for me, always work too.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    It's much much better today. I didn't take painkillers in the end but went for a long walk, which seemed to do wonders. I Also used some ice compression.