Cardiologist likes cyclists

geoffnelder
geoffnelder Posts: 165
My day has been unusual. Spent it at the Cardiac Catheter lab in Chester. I've been getting a chest pain when cycling uphill or against an unrelenting wind. I told the doc I reckon its thoracic cartilage stretching. She said it might be but 98% of chest pains for folk my age is heart. The cardiac consultant said he likes doing cyclists - low heartbeat like mine meant he didn't waste his budget on relaxant drugs. Huh. I could leave my specs and hearing aids in so as to hear when to watch the show on three large screens and when to breathe out again. He found a couple of narrowed arteries and will consider stents in the autumn but yeay, I can go to the writers retreat I've booked in the Canaries next month, boo I'm not to hire a bike to charge up the volcanoes.

If I wasn't a cyclist and didn't charge up hills to get the chest pain, I would probably never have known I had atheroma... until it became fatal. Another good reason to cycle.

Anaesthetic is wearing off now...

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    At least you know there's something they can fix.

Missing out on the volcanoes may be a blessing in disguise; our last company conference was in Tenerife and for the activity day I chose mountain biking around Mt Teide. Came a cropper while riding like a teenager; the abrasive nature of the volcanic rock meant I left a lot of skin and a trail of blood behind. Got some cool scars as a souvenir though!
  • geoffnelder
    geoffnelder Posts: 165
    Sorry to hear about your fall on Mount Teidi. I suppose everyone on bikeradar will have left some skin and blood on various roads around the planet! I cycled up a volcano in Methana, Greece two years ago in temperatures over 34 C and the back tyre burst sending me to the tarmac, leaving a patch of skin there. Going back in September by which time I am hoping I can do a little gentle cycling.