Help......Training for mont ventoux!

greeny67
greeny67 Posts: 56
Hi all,

I'm going with a group of friends to ride mont ventoux and surrounding area in july.
I am reasonably fit and have been riding for 10 years, probably do about 75/100 miles a week ( although have been off bike for 6 weeks in feb/march due to illness which hasn't helped).
Have never done any climbing of this length before, and am a little concerned. I'm assuming it will take me 1:30/2 hours to climb.
We will probably do a few ascents over several days, so although my first aim is to get up it( an achievement in itself) it would be nice to get a reasonably good time. btw what is a reasonable time?

1- Any tips such as how can you replicate this effort in training, and get your body used to doing this amount of effort for this time?

2- What gearing will I need ( I have 10 speed 50/34 at the moment which gets me up everything in uk, but I generally like to spin and am worried I am going to run out of gears.

3- Any other tips such as dealing with the heat etc

4- Also are there any bike shops that stock SIS energy products in the area, as i don't want to lug a weeks worth of
stuff in my back pack with me.

Really appreciate any suggestions

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Difficult to replicate in Uk.

If you have access to a turbo trainer, wind the resistance up to simulate a climb and try that.

Otherwise look for a similar gradient and ride up it, repeating if necessary. Apparently the difference in temp and humidity from bottom to top catches people out.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bahzob posted some useful info on training for similar events fairly recently. Would be worth doing a search for the thread as it probably contains most of the info you need.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    put "training ventoux" into the forum search. There's a similar thread about Alpe d'Huez
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,039
    greeny67 wrote:
    Have never done any climbing of this length before, and am a little concerned. I'm assuming it will take me 1:30/2 hours to climb.
    it would be nice to get a reasonably good time. btw what is a reasonable time?

given what you've said it will take 1h30 to 2h00 for you to climb from Bedoin and that is a reasonable time. The main factors that might affect this are the heat and the wind. If it is hot start early, if it is windy, start early when the wind might be less. If the mistral is blowing it is hell after Chalet Reynard. I got blown off my bike around the Simpson Memorial by the wind once.

The climb is not too hard if, a bit of 10% up through the woods.
    greeny67 wrote:
    1- Any tips such as how can you replicate this effort in training, and get your body used to doing this amount of effort for this time?

As others have said, you could use a turbo but as the weather is better I would focus on getting outside and doing some intervals, what's the biggest climb where you live? If you've got anything over 5 minutes try climbing it standing up in a bigger gear going as hard as you can. Rinse and repeat.
    greeny67 wrote:
    2- What gearing will I need ( I have 10 speed 50/34 at the moment which gets me up everything in uk, but I generally like to spin and am worried I am going to run out of gears.

What have you got on the back? a 11x28 will be ok unless you are totally feeble.
    greeny67 wrote:
    4- Also are there any bike shops that stock SIS energy products in the area, as i don't want to lug a weeks worth of
    stuff in my back pack with me.

Possibly but are they that important? You can get energy drinks in Decathlon f'rexample.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,741
    edited May 2014
    I'd just up your mileage a little bit - as others have said Ventoux by itself at a steady pace is not that hard - it's a long climb though and assuming you want to work it into some longer rides you will enjoy it more if your general endurance is better. One must do loop would be along the Gorge du Nesque back to Bedoin after descending back through Sault - the gorge road is almost as much of a must do as Ventoux itself. Think you are going to be there in Lavender season and there are quite a few Lavender fields on the descent near Sault.

As for timing - I'd try and get one ascent done early evening if the weather is fine - you will have the mountain more or less to yourself - however you may find the shop at the top and cafes shut so take enough food and water.

Edit - I would say count on it being more like 2 hours off that kind of training unless you are a relatively good climber.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I've done the route up from Bedoin a couple of times and the one up from Sault once (in 40 degree heat!). There is quite a big bike shop right in the centre of Bedoin and I would be surprised if they didn't carry energy products. There is (or was two years ago) a bike shop on a little industrial estate about 1km out the back of Sault if you get caught short out that way as well. Sorry I can't remember what road it was actually on but if you ask a local (if you can speak French or ask for "magasin du velo" if you can't!). :mrgreen:

I'm not sure how many ascents you are planning in one day but single ascents you wouldn't need too much energy products I would have thought. It's only just over 21km (13 miles) from Bedoin to the summit. If you can't find any energy powder then flat Coke will provide quite a bit of energy especially if supplemented with some solid food or gels. I would have said with a decent breakfast, 3 x 20g gels would probably be sufficient with just water in your bottles for one ascent. Obviously you will need more if you are intending to ride further afield before getting to the start of the climb.

The general opinion about training for these sort of Alpine climbs seems to be something like 1 hour tempo rides on flattish terrain. However, prior to knowing this I just did tons of hill repeats (between 8%-12%) which got me up okay in around 2 hours in 30-27 and I'm 58 years old, 6' 4" and just on 13 stone (82kg).
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    Agree with much of what the Hypster said...been up it twice and most of my training is in the Fens so rubbish for hills but great for wind. If its hot and in July...unless its freak weather it will be......set off early. Coffee and croissant in Bedouin....and a porridge pot made with hot water...or milk....34x29 .... @100 kg an 6ft 4 I'm a lump.
    Used the spinner in the local gym.....20 mph ...then incremental sets 1-2-3-4-5-6 mins out of saddle at level 20 then back in saddle at level 12 @ 100 rpm etc
    2 hours realistic.....from Chalet Reynard it gets easier......it's enjoyable in a masochistic way....
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm just about to set off for the Alps to do Alpe D'HuZes (6x Alpe D'Huez in a day). I live (most of the time) in Amsterdam - so not the best for training. I'll let you know how it goes.

Agree with most of the above but would suggest a 12-30 cassette simple as a get out of jail option on the climb. Psychologically it's great to know that you still have a cog or two in reserve. And I don't know whether an 11 is going to be much use. My experience is that, in proper hills, you're through an 11 and coasting down before you know it. I've only found it really useful on long gentle descents or descents where I'm really looking to blitz it. Alpe D'HuZes is speed-limited downhill anyway on safety grounds.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    It's not steep just long. You been riding for long enough not to have any trouble getting up it comfortably unless you set off too quickly or are over geared. Set off really early if it's going to be hot and you find this uncomfortable.
    If you are going to ride up it a few time then on the first ascent go a lot slower than you feel you should be going. Two reasons 1. 10 km later this may be as fast as you can now go. 2. If you get to the final section and still have the energy you can up the pace and finish strongly which will feel good and this will set a bench mark for your other rides.
    Gearing, go as low as you can which sounds like 34/30. If you don't need the 30 sprocket great but if you do need it and don't take it it can be a pretty uncomfortable ride.
  • DubaiNeil
    DubaiNeil Posts: 246
    My "top tip" would be to not stop at Chalet Reynard on the way up. I did, and felt gutted when I realised how little was left to do. Much better to stop on the descent to reload (unless you are heading to Malaucene...).

I did it on a 34-27. Happy enough with the gearing, but would have used a larger cog if I'd had one!