Giro 2014 - Stage 17: Vittorio Veneto *Spoilers*

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited May 2014 in Pro race
BotyL2aIEAAjC-w.jpg:large

Head to toe in pink is a bit much. Only second Colombian ever to wear the Maglia Rosa.
BotvwLmIQAAtenV.png:large

profile-17.jpg
finish-17.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Given the congestion at the GC-end of PTP, it's hardly surpirsing to see heads of state just watching each other today.

osbfxv.png
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    No where else to put it...

10366187_685787451458773_2839060406601006579_n.png
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    Macaloon wrote:
    Given the congestion at the GC-end of PTP, it's hardly surpirsing to see heads of state just watching each other today.

osbfxv.png

The final 60 km include 4-5 small climbs. Only two of these are categorized and especially the last one is very steep. Muro di Ca' del Poggio is only 1.3 km long but has an average gradient of 15 % with parts of 20 %. There are just 20 km to go from the top and only the last 10 km are flat

-Conde's preview
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    The PTP makes me smile.
    Odds on a break to stick today, yet hardly anyone willing to stick a pin in the startlist.
    A right bunch of conservatives! :)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    A lot will depend on if FDJ think Bouhanni has a chance and are prepared to chase everything down. I can't see anyone else fulfilling that role (maybe Bernie / Sutton for Swift and they can keep the pressure on a bit over the climb to lose Bouhanni). Possibly a day for someone from a small group who can pull away on that final ramp and has a decent sprint (Ulissi again maybe?)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Pross wrote:
    A lot will depend on if FDJ think Bouhanni has a chance and are prepared to chase everything down. I can't see anyone else fulfilling that role (maybe Bernie / Sutton for Swift and they can keep the pressure on a bit over the climb to lose Bouhanni). Possibly a day for someone from a small group who can pull away on that final ramp and has a decent sprint (Ulissi again maybe?)

Funnily enough, my pick elsewhere. :wink:
    (he's either dead on his feet after finishing 159th yesterday, or playing dead....)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I think it'll be a sprint. No point the sprinters going through yesterday just to let today slip away. That little final climb will find a few of them out after yesterday though.
  • Pross
    Yeah, wish I'd gone for him on PTP now although my pick was 3 minutes after the deadline so I suspect if I get a result Macaloon will DQ me anyway :wink:
  • Turfle
    Break of 25. Maybe it will be a break!
  • Turfle
    Daniel Lloyd ‏@daniellloyd1 15s
    More
    Break: Gasparotto, Montaguti, Pirazzi, Boem, Canola, Van Emden, Oss, Gatto, Le Bon, Viekkanen, Cunego, Bono, Bak, Wellens, Anton, De Gendt, Pauwels, Malacarne, Geschke Losada, Vorganov, Deignan, Petrov, McCarthy & Felline.

4 minutes up the road
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    Turfle wrote:
    Break of 25. Maybe it will be a break!

No Androni or Neri riders though, it could be time for more punishment riding!
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Pross wrote:
    Yeah, wish I'd gone for him on PTP now although my pick was 3 minutes after the deadline so I suspect if I get a result Macaloon will DQ me anyway :wink:

Was it clear that Macaloon has raised the 12 o clock red flag?
    Half man, Half bike
  • Turfle
    Frapporti managed to get there in the end for Androni.

If this break stays away, that climb should make it an interesting final 25k. I reckon lots of little groups trying to get back together before the end.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Hah! Is this what the teams decided as 'opposition' against the mighty Lars in the break?!

No mercy will shown for this ignorance!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    Turfle wrote:
    More
    Break: Gasparotto, Montaguti, Pirazzi, Boem, Canola, Van Emden, Oss, Gatto, Le Bon, Viekkanen, Cunego, Bono, Bak, Wellens, Anton, De Gendt, Pauwels, Malacarne, Geschke Losada, Vorganov, Deignan, Petrov, McCarthy & Felline.

4 minutes up the road
    Who's going to bother chasing that? No-one, that's who
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Feels a discretionary retrospective Belkin bonus coming on.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    Pross wrote:

2 in the break and the rest with tired legs ....
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:
    Turfle wrote:
    More

4 minutes up the road
    Who's going to bother chasing that? No-one, that's who

Best rider in GC is Cunego at 48mins down so risk off completely from that perspective.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    anyone got a quick link to team rosters and withdrawals so far
  • Turfle
    anyone got a quick link to team rosters and withdrawals so far

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Gir ... -Startlist
  • Pross
    edited May 2014
    My prediction for today is that the spoiler thread won't reach 36 pages in the next 24 hours.

EDIT - Assuming AtC isn't bored of marking essays
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    A right bunch of conservatives! :)

Look it might not be panache filled sexy racing but I am defending my 14th place. God what do you want a 75k Flanders style attack? This is a GT and I am in it until Trieste! You never know what might happen, everyone above me might forget to pick anyone for the last few stages, the equivalent of a DNS or DNF, some may miss the time cut. Effectively I'm making the calculashuun. :wink:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    Pross wrote:
    My prediction for today is that the spoiler thread won't reach 36 pages in the next 24 hours.

I smell a CHALLENGE!
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

I smell a CHALLENGE!

Post edited!
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    edited May 2014
    I'm so slow.
  • above_the_cows
    Pross wrote:

I am SO bored how did you know :cry:

I might have to go and spend a silly amount of money on things I don't need on Wiggle to cheer myself up.
  • ridgerider
    Macaloon wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Feels a discretionary retrospective Belkin bonus coming on.

Looks like I picked the wrong Belkin breakaway rider today, are you offering a option for me to change...I like the way you are running this Giro, regardless of what all the other team managers are saying!

With regards Belkin...how good is Kelderman!!! The boy done well last year and obviously after I dribbled over him at the Volta Limberg chipper earlier this year, he now has the mark of genius/heavyweight/panache.
    Half man, Half bike
  • ridgerider
    Pross wrote:

I am SO bored how did you know :cry:

I might have to go and spend a silly amount of money on things I don't need on Wiggle to cheer myself up.

SNOW!!!
    Half man, Half bike
  • above_the_cows
    ECHELONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just testing for July.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Now now, don't you know the story of the boy who cried "echelons!"?