Golden cheetah and TSS

wavefront
wavefront Posts: 397
I did a long ride at the weekend with my moving time being 5.5 hrs, and my IF was 0.76 - NP at the top end of my endurance zone. However, I stopped for an hour half way round for a coffee stop and for a small while just before I got home so my overall elapsed time was 7hrs.

GC seems to use the 7 hours at 0.76 IF to calculate a TSS of 407. But as I was only moving for the 5.5hrs shouldn't the TSS be 320 ? Surely 1.5 hours having a coffee isn't stressfull on the body? :D

I did stop my garmin during the stops, so the NP should only reflect the time spent riding - 5.5 hrs? Shouldn't the tss reflect this also?

Hope someone can help - have I got GC setup wrong, or am I misunderstanding things a little?

Thanks.

Comments

• Alex_Simmons/RST
    Alex_Simmons/RST Posts: 4,161
    Apply the beer and burrito rule.

IOW if you had time during a stop to eat a burrito and drink a beer, then it's two rides, not one. Split the ride file.
  • RChung
    RChung Posts: 163
    Apply the beer and burrito rule.

IOW if you had time during a stop to eat a burrito and drink a beer, then it's two rides, not one. Split the ride file.

Handy rule.
  • dzp1
    dzp1 Posts: 54
    Yes it should be around 320. I'm surprised GC got it wrong, but then I rarely stop for longer than it takes to eat a banana and then I always press stop on the garmin

(I find burritos get a bit messy in the back pocket, and the beer gets all warm and fizzed up on the bumpy lanes round here ;) )
  • dzp1
    dzp1 Posts: 54
    What you could do is delete the rows where you were stopped (do this in the edit screen - click + shift and click the range of rows to delete and then right click the left of the table and you will see a delete rows option). If you mess it up you can always delete the ride and reload it from your garmin.
  • wavefront
    Cheers guys. I'll look at both - splitting ride (though for ease of reference it'd be nice to list it as one ride), and deleting rows when stopped. It'd be nice if GC worked on moving time only, can't understand why it doesn't? I'm trying to work with TSS a little more now and there's a significant difference between 320 and 407.

I also don't like stopping on rides but this was a club ride so I knew there would be a stop. Shame it was also a long stop.
  • RChung
    RChung Posts: 163
    Don't blame GC. Shortly after TSS was introduced (a decade ago) this issue was raised on the Wattage List, mostly in reference to two-a-days but also because of stops in the middle of long rides. Coggan declined to give strict hard brightline rules and suggested that when one ride becomes two is something that should require some judgement and thinking. He specifically said that you should *not* ignore all the stopped time, unless you can also ignore all the recovery that occurs during the time when you're stopped. That's when we came up with the "beer and burrito" rule. So Golden Cheetah does what it does because its developers decided that it's up to you, and they made splitting a ride easy to do.
  • wavefront
    RChung wrote:
    Don't blame GC. Shortly after TSS was introduced (a decade ago) this issue was raised on the Wattage List, mostly in reference to two-a-days but also because of stops in the middle of long rides. Coggan declined to give strict hard brightline rules and suggested that when one ride becomes two is something that should require some judgement and thinking. He specifically said that you should *not* ignore all the stopped time, unless you can also ignore all the recovery that occurs during the time when you're stopped. That's when we came up with the "beer and burrito" rule. So Golden Cheetah does what it does because its developers decided that it's up to you, and they made splitting a ride easy to do.

Thanks! That helps, and have only just signed up to the wattage list to try and learn as much as I can! My 'I can't understand' wasn't a frustration at CG btw (think CG is amazing!), just purely didn't understand! I find it a fascinating area, and constantly reading!

Beer and burritos it is then - makes sense and thanks for explaining.