Campagnolo goes ugly!

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited September 2014 in Commuting chat
Dear god - what were they thinking! This looks worse than a Shimano crankset! OK, making it so that there aren't different compact/standard cranks is obviously a good thing but at what price! You can't love a bike with those cranks on it........

xCH-2015-guarnitura-OK.jpg
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    My only response must be to regularly maintain my current crank sets to prolong their lives.

That means no purchasing of replacement parts.

Which cannot be ideal as a business plan to Campagnolo.
    I do not think they will be too concerned though as there appears to be enough gullible people who simply must have the latest versions.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Errr, what's wrong with it?

Still looks better than Shimano (and I have a Shimano crankset).
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I think it looks quite nice, in a kind of modern yet brutal kind of way. I prefer the SuperRecord (2012?) cranks I already have though.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    better than the Mr Blobby school of design, but not much.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Yeah its not a rotor crankset yuck!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Can't quite see where the cotter pin fits?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I actually quite like that look........flowing 'aero' styling almost like the metal was still part molten for the first ride and flowed into place as it set, styled by the loads and airflow.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rolf_f
    The Rookie wrote:
    I actually quite like that look........flowing 'aero' styling almost like the metal was still part molten for the first ride and flowed into place as it set, styled by the loads and airflow.

Is this you?

fig10.gif
  • SNMarine
    SNMarine Posts: 36
    Rolf F wrote:
    Dear god - what were they thinking! This looks worse than a Shimano crankset! OK, making it so that there aren't different compact/standard cranks is obviously a good thing but at what price! You can't love a bike with those cranks on it........

please un-post the picture, its making me feel queezy
    Ridley Noah FAST
    Ridley Damocles
    Colnago World Cup CX
    Wednesdays - Honda CBF 500 (ps happy to pace anyone)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rolf F wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Is this you?

fig10.gif
    Rumbled.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I actually prefer the look of say Dura Ace over Campag. Much more mechanical and less of the poetry.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    goonz wrote:
    I actually prefer the look of say Dura Ace over Campag. Much more mechanical and less of the poetry.

Smite.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Rolf F wrote:
    OK, making it so that there aren't different compact/standard cranks is obviously a good thing

Solution to a non-existent problem, surely? You can fit anything from 50/34 upwards onto a 110 BCD. The issue is eliminating flex in the larger chainrings when you do.

It's 130/135 BCDs that limit the size of the smaller chainring that you can use.

And yes, that is bloody ugly. I never got over Campy abandoning square taper BBs and cranksets though.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • pblakeney
    goonz wrote:
    Mechanics make things work.

Poetry makes emotion. Without emotion life is, sad.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rolf_f
    goonz wrote:

Really?

Surely this:

campagnolo-chorus-ultra-torque-chainset.jpg

is more of a stripped down, function focussed engineers solution than this?

2013-shimano_11-speed-Dura-Ace-Chainset-standard-fc9000.jpg?width=458&height=358
  • pblakeney

2013-shimano_11-speed-Dura-Ace-Chainset-standard-fc9000.jpg?width=458&height=358

Spot the difference.
    This is what happens when you design by computer.

Edit:- I initially thought they looked similar but seeing them side by side, the Campag version wins the battle.
    Still not as elegant as the older versions though.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I like it. It has a kind of industrial cool to it. I like the look of Dura Ace for the same reason.
  • mick_cornick
    mick_cornick Posts: 175
    Looks ok but to me. I still have my campag cranks from 2001, so I guess you could wait until it's replaced by a new model as they don't seem to wear out or buy NOS at a discount?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,626
    [gouges eyes out]
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I like it. It has a kind of marketing cool to it. I like the look of Dura Ace for the same reason.

Altered for truth. Whatever design cues were used, they're definitely not industrial!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    The SRAM equivalents look better than Campag or Shimano IMO. Flame suit on :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    DesWeller wrote:
    I like it. It has a kind of marketing cool to it. I like the look of Dura Ace for the same reason.

Altered for truth. Whatever design cues were used, they're definitely not industrial!

Um, ok then.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Campag clearly want to crack the American market with this oversized monstrousity.

First "Athena" and now this. It's like BMW and their ugly years (circa 2005 - 2012).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • pblakeney
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Campag clearly want to crack the American market with this oversized monstrousity.

First "Athena" and now this. It's like BMW and their ugly years (circa 2005 - 2012).
    I am curious as to what could possibly be wrong with Athena?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • DonDaddyD
    Athena really is the wrong name for a groupset. It suggests neither aggression or speed unrepentant and complete. It just screams "bird's bike" to me.

Still, nothing worse than Claris.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jspash
    jspash Posts: 107
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Don't forget the Specialized Toupé Expert Gel! Ain't nobody walking into a store an willingly paying money for something with that name on it. What were they thinking?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Athena really is the wrong name for a groupset. It suggests neither aggression or speed unrepentant and complete. It just screams "bird's bike" to me.

I thought we were trying to banish sexist words and phraseology from these fora?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pblakeney
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    And to think I may have thought it to be something of importance. Never mind.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • DonDaddyD
    PBlakeney wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Of course the name of a mass produced item, which has incurred millions in development costs and sold to millions around the World to not only recoup said development costs but also turn a profit is important.

You think Specialized landed on 'Venge' or Allez or that while the man's version is called Tarmac the female iteration is called Amira? It wasn't by chance Shimano landed on Dura-Ace or Ultegra (whatever the naming theme was back then).

People are paid quite well to research, survey and sample test before a name is landed upon.

Of all the Greek gods, mythological beings, beasts, deities and words, Athena, I just don't get it.

Perhaps I'm not in their demographic. That groupset keeps getting uglier by the way, yet I can't stop looking at it. Its a little like putting a B battery against the tongue, you'll never get used to it but after a while you kinda enjoy the pain....
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,626
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Of course the name of a mass produced item, which has incurred millions in development costs and sold to millions around the World to not only recoup said development costs but also turn a profit is important.

You think Specialized landed on 'Venge' or Allez or that while the man's version is called Tarmac the female iteration is called Amira? It wasn't by chance Shimano landed on Dura-Ace or Ultegra (whatever the naming theme was back then).

People are paid quite well to research, survey and sample test before a name is landed upon.

Of all the Greek gods, mythological beings, beasts, deities and words, Athena, I just don't get it.

Perhaps I'm not in their demographic. That groupset keeps getting uglier by the way, yet I can't stop looking at it. Its a little like putting a B battery against the tongue, you'll never get used to it but after a while you kinda enjoy the pain....

As I've said before, you need to read up on your Greek mythology,
    AthenaAndokides.jpg
    but then we've been through all this before. At least twice.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition