Recovery: cycling versus bodybuilding

neilo23
neilo23 Posts: 783
I realise that cycling isn't about increasing muscle size and strength but I'm interested in knowing why recovery in each sport is different. I think I understand the basics but I don't mind being corrected :D

A bodybuilder gains size by damaging a muscle. He may only work a specific muscle once a week and when the muscle repairs itself it gains size. During this time off the muscle increases its size. A cyclist isn't looking to gain size (unless for reasons of vanity). What I don't understand is this: a heavy training session on the bike (eg hill repeats) must "damage " the leg muscles, the stiff legs the next day demonstrating this, in a similar way to how a bodybuilder damages his muscles. Why is it then that a cyclist should do a gentle session the next day to get the blood flowing again, speeding up the recovery, but a bodybuilder leaves his aching muscles in peace? Is it because of the difference between slow and fast twitch muscles?

Comments

• Stalin
    Stalin Posts: 208
    neilo23 wrote:
    I realise that cycling isn't about increasing muscle size and strength but I'm interested in knowing why recovery in each sport is different. I think I understand the basics but I don't mind being corrected :D

A bodybuilder gains size by damaging a muscle. He may only work a specific muscle once a week and when the muscle repairs itself it gains size. During this time off the muscle increases its size. A cyclist isn't looking to gain size (unless for reasons of vanity). What I don't understand is this: a heavy training session on the bike (eg hill repeats) must "damage " the leg muscles, the stiff legs the next day demonstrating this, in a similar way to how a bodybuilder damages his muscles. Why is it then that a cyclist should do a gentle session the next day to get the blood flowing again, speeding up the recovery, but a bodybuilder leaves his aching muscles in peace? Is it because of the difference between slow and fast twitch muscles?

Depends on the type and extent of the damage. Damage or tearing of muscle fibres may need rest. Muscles well used and slightly sore will respond better to gentle active recovery.

You can't compare the damage done to a muscle by 3 x 8 lifts to 2 x 1800 revolutions of the pedals.
  • neilo23
    But why wouldn't it also be beneficial for a bodybuilder to do sets of light weights to aid recovery (a weightlifting version of gentle spinning)?
  • Stalin
    Stalin Posts: 208
    neilo23 wrote:
    But why wouldn't it also be beneficial for a bodybuilder to do sets of light weights to aid recovery (a weightlifting version of gentle spinning)?

It is about the extent and type of damage. Damage to muscle fibres needs rest. Muscles just full of fatigue can benefit from gentle recovery.
  • neilo23
    Stalin wrote:
    neilo23 wrote:

It is about the extent and type of damage. Damage to muscle fibres needs rest. Muscles just full of fatigue can benefit from gentle recovery.

Stupid question but what exactly is fatigue? Is it a mild form of damage? A build up of lactica acid?
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    neilo23 wrote:
    Stalin wrote:
    neilo23 wrote:

Stupid question but what exactly is fatigue? Is it a mild form of damage? A build up of lactica acid?

Wikipedia has a good definition of fatigue.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I work out with free weights for an hour every morning but make a point of training down after the pain reps. It's the way I was taught many years ago. This flushes out lactic acid and gives a much quicker recovery period.

I am not sure you can tear the leg fibres on a bike. You can only apy your body weight as the maximum load and that just isn't going to do it.

If you do a cool down light load spin after a big ride effort that should flush your legs out and a recovery ride shouldn't be necessary. A cold bath and a foam roller will stop any aches the next day too.

It's definitely not the same cause of pain as a body builder's DOMS.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • neilo23
    BrandonA wrote:
    neilo23 wrote:
    Stalin wrote:
    neilo23 wrote:

Wikipedia has a good definition of fatigue.

Thanks for the (sarcastic) reply. I did state that it was a stoopid question :wink:
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    It's also why bodybuilding types do these different body parts different days of the week...eg chest and biceps....legs...etc...so one muscle group is recovering whilst another is working.....cycling aerobic not anaerobic..
  • olake92
    olake92 Posts: 182
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_on ... e_soreness

Check out DOMS. FWIW I think most mass building body builders work each muscle group twice a week. Seeing as muscles begin to atrophy pretty damn quick, you get the full recovery of around 3 days (certainly I find 3 days is enough for me) while avoiding any detraining.

This guy is quite a good read. I hear he's a bit of a jerk but he's incredibly knowledgeable.

Just to play devil's advocate... Another factor not taken into consideration - drugs. A lot of body builders use them. They won't need to work muscle groups as much if some steroids are pumping them up for the next couple of days!
    I'm on Twitter! Follow @olake92 for updates on my racing, my team's performance and some generic tweets.