Over the bars - Rib injury

sah682
sah682 Posts: 33
Hi all,

I went over the bars whilst out last Wednesday night low speed as I was climbing at the time.

Apart from road rash I have hurt my ribs. Any advice on recovery?

I am just taken pain killers at the mo and trying to rest. How long should I wait until I get back on the bike and start training again. Appreciate this will depend on individuals and the extent of the injury to some degree.

I am desperate to get back out, this is the first week I haven't ridden in 6 months and don't want to waste all the hard work.

Thanks

Steve

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Get checked up by a doctor.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    You might have fractured or dislodged a rib or two. I did this 2 years ago after running into a drain that was positioned in the direction of travel. You probably need to take it relatively easy for a couple of weeks and it will be 4 to 8 weeks before the pain goes climbing etc.

A doctor won't do much for you but no harm in getting checked out.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    Get it checked out, after that you'll know when you're good to get back on the bike.
    I was fully off it for probably two weeks, and then eased back onto it over another 2 weeks or so.
    Unfortunately, there isn't much anyone can do for rib injuries. Just need to make sure that it's not broken and there is no risk of it puncturing anything if it's protruding out.
    Get well soon
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    The more you rest the quicker you'll recover. But if you're anything like me then resting isn't an option. In which case the turbo is your friend as there are no bumps in the road and no traffic lights, corners, or traffic forcing you to slow down and then pull on the handlebars to speed up again. I had pretty nasty off last june and busted up my ribs quite badly. Tried to ride on the road, but the pain was crippling, so ended up spending 6 weeks doing nothing but the turbo, with puddles of sweat in 30 degree heat. I probably elongated my recovery, but managed to get through it without losing a great deal of fitness.
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    Cracked my ribs last year, took 5 weeks before I could ride without pain
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Cracked 2 of mine last year, took 4 weeks of the road bike and 6 off the MTB, get it checked out though. It's not a good idea to jump on a bike too early as if they are cracked one minor off could easily fully break them and then you could be in serious trouble.
  • sah682
    Well almost 2 weeks on and the ribs are starting to feel much better. There is only mild discomfort when breathing deeply and laughing etc.

It's been a painful one as compensating for the ribs aggravated an old back injury which meant a trapped nerve :( also seems to be on the mend nicely now.

Hopefully going to try a short steady ride and Thursday night to see where we are. Fingers crossed.
  • sah682 wrote:
    Hi all,

I went over the bars whilst out last Wednesday night low speed as I was climbing at the time.

How the hell?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    sah682 wrote:
    Well almost 2 weeks on and the ribs are starting to feel much better.

Don't sneeze...
  • sah682
    sah682 wrote:
    Hi all,

How the hell?

Was trying to do a stoppie to impress the Milf that were out jogging ......

Only joking. Stood up "dancing on the pedals" the rear/pedals locked solid ... game over