Ill on race week

davicio
davicio Posts: 45
Hi all.
Been training for the last 6 months for next weeks Triathlon in Hyde Park, London (I've done this event before).
For whatever reason (I'm thinking plane journeys), I've caught the flu; first a sore throat in the middle of a bike ride on Friday evening and now I'm into the full works. I have until next Sunday morning and I'm starting to think I should pull out. I just can't see this getting better for a good few days and even after, my chest filled with mucus will certainly take a while to clear.

Has anybody got some tips on what I should and shouldn't be doing to speed up recovery; and also when is the time to realise I can't compete?

Cheers all.

Comments

• olake92
    olake92 Posts: 182
    I use Carl Froch's advice for dealing with illness, it's always served me well - plenty of vitamin c taken every 4hrs in the form of orange etc. One of those effervescent vitamin c tablets to start the day along with a good multi-vitamin, it's massive overkill but if you're ill, you'll want all your stores topped up all the time. Drink at least 1L of water every 4 hrs. Water and vitamins/minerals are your body's natural remedies. Try to take it easy and get to bed at 9 so you're asleep by 9:30. Even then, cross your fingers for a bit of luck. I usually make th call the day before but I don't know the procedure with triathlons.
    I'm on Twitter! Follow @olake92 for updates on my racing, my team's performance and some generic tweets.